Home

Text-Sims are Un-American?

This is a discussion on Text-Sims are Un-American? within the Operation Sports Content and Other News forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > The News Desk > Operation Sports Content and Other News
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-28-2008, 07:06 PM   #9
Banned

OVR: 32
Re: Text-Sims are Un-American?

What are the best American football sims?
Old 02-28-2008, 07:17 PM   #10
MVP

devilsjaw's Arena

OVR: 27

Football Manager is the greatest game ever invented.
Old 02-28-2008, 08:30 PM   #11
Rookie

raskal67's Arena

OVR: 3
I have been playing OOTP since version 5 and it is a blast. This is one of those games that never comes off of the hard drive. I also have a dynasty going with BBCF, but in my opinion, OOTP rocks!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-28-2008, 10:18 PM   #12
Go Wings!

OVR: 41

I've tried to like Football Manager, but I just get bored...I'm just not a text sim gamer. Same with the deep franchises like in CH 2k8. Those bore me to death with the tedious stuff. I end up simming a whole bunch but then I feel like I'm not doing anything, but if I try to do more I realize it's work and not as fun.

It's great you guys enjoy them though, just wanted to give the other point of view!
Old 02-28-2008, 11:24 PM   #13
Executive Editor

RaychelSnr's Arena

OVR: 57
Sweed,

Good points! I could go on forever about everything that is possible with OOTP. I once followed someone's alternate history of baseball thorugh it. Just some amazing stuff possible.
Old 02-28-2008, 11:28 PM   #14
Executive Editor

RaychelSnr's Arena

OVR: 57
MGoBlue,

Wouldn't you say that the lack of any type of patience and such is something that can be attributed to most Americans? I think that's a good reason why text-sims haven't caught on with the mainstream here, because it's just a different culture.
Old 02-28-2008, 11:34 PM   #15
Go Wings!

OVR: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMChrisS
MGoBlue,

Wouldn't you say that the lack of any type of patience and such is something that can be attributed to most Americans? I think that's a good reason why text-sims haven't caught on with the mainstream here, because it's just a different culture.
That's definitely possible. I think also that as I get older (I'm 27), my gaming time is getting more limited (and therefore more valuable). I personally don't get as much out of the text sim as I do some other type of game.

Back when I was in high school I'd play 10 seasons in my NCAA Football dynasties, so at some point I did enjoy that aspect. Over time I just don't have quite the time or desire to spend most of my time looking at 40 times and high school grades, etc.

My gaming attention span has really shrunk over time, due to age or whatever, so that factors in.

Oh, I'm also not a total baseball fan, so OOTP does nothing for me. I like watching some baseball, but I don't wish I was a GM at all.

Last edited by mgoblue; 02-28-2008 at 11:37 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-29-2008, 06:46 AM   #16
Light up the Trop in '12

djcorrosive's Arena

OVR: 18
I just recently got turned on to text based games a few months ago. I gave them a try when I was a bit younger in the mid '90s but the did nothing for me. After being a bit dissapointed with Next Gen football I decided to give BBCF a try after reading the review here at OS. I was hooked from the get go. It was everything I was looking for in a football game. I love the depth of these games, I was always big into the managerial aspect of sports games, making financial decisions, trades, recruiting, and watching players progress through their carreers. Plus the amount of customization available is amazing. Since BBCF, I've tried OOTP8 and Total Extreme Wrestling. They're no substitute for console games, rather a completely different sub-genre of sports gaming. I've finally seen the light.

« Operation Sports Forums > The News Desk > Operation Sports Content and Other News »