Home

T.J.'s Time Machine - R.B.I. Baseball

This is a discussion on T.J.'s Time Machine - R.B.I. Baseball within the Operation Sports Content and Other News forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > The News Desk > Operation Sports Content and Other News
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-06-2008, 03:22 PM   #1
Executive Editor

RaychelSnr's Arena

OVR: 57
T.J.'s Time Machine - R.B.I. Baseball

This week on T.J.'s Time Machine we are going back to 1988, a much simpler time in sports video games to take a look at R.B.I. Baseball, the first game with real MLB players.

Quote:
"Much like the way football has seemingly overtaken baseball as America’s pastime, football video games have followed suit and become the most popular sports game genre by far. It wasn’t that long ago though that baseball video games were sitting atop the sports gaming world and it all goes back to a little game developed by Namco, R.B.I. Baseball."
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-06-2008, 03:45 PM   #2
MVP

Koolie G's Arena

OVR: 13
I loved this game. I thought Vince Coleman was still on the Cardinals though. The Cardinals were great to play with b/c they had Ozzie, T. Herr, Willie McGee and Coleman(I think) so you could just play small ball and then hope Jack Clark could drive them in. I think they also had T. Pena then too.

You can't forget T. Armas on the bench with the Red Sox who had like 40 something homers. You always had to put him in the lineup. Great game, I spent many an hour on that and I got really excited when they finally got the Reds on RBI 2. On regular RBI I had to settle for Eric Davis on the NL All-Stars.
Old 03-06-2008, 03:47 PM   #3
binging

SPTO's Arena

OVR: 53
I was never a big R.B.I. guy. I preferred Major League Baseball on the NES. That game came out the next year and was officially liscenced by MLB but not the PA so you had the full team with the real players except it didn't have their names.

I will say that sometimes I miss those days when you didn't have framerate bugs and the need for a patch and sliders etc etc.
Old 03-06-2008, 03:49 PM   #4
The Few. The Proud.

SportsTop's Arena

OVR: 44
Re: T.J.'s Time Machine (3/6)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolie G
IYou can't forget T. Armas on the bench with the Red Sox who had like 40 something homers. You always had to put him in the lineup.
That is my most vivid memory about RBI Baseball.
Old 03-06-2008, 03:56 PM   #5
All Star

nyisles16's Arena

OVR: 46
Vince didn't go to the Mets until '91 -- sigh, thanks TJ for bringing up that name!!!

RBI baseball was played to the death by my friends and I.. heck I remember playing my dad in some games... I miss the simple days of games..
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-06-2008, 03:59 PM   #6
Editor-in-Chief

Steve_OS's Arena

OVR: 77
How about that "Stealing a base" sound effect? hehe....sounding like a flat tire or a crazy machine gun.
Old 03-06-2008, 04:00 PM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 1
My friends and I still have heated arguments to this day while playing RBI even though we're all almost 30. And Detroit is the team to beat in my opinion.
Old 03-06-2008, 04:04 PM   #8
Fum police

ndeezlo's Arena

OVR: 31
Vince Coleman didn't have the fireworks in this game. The 87 Cardinals and Tigers were my first favorite teams . Raised near Detroit, Dad's from StL.

« Operation Sports Forums > The News Desk > Operation Sports Content and Other News »