Home

The Wii: Casually Moving on Up

This is a discussion on The Wii: Casually Moving on Up within the Operation Sports Content and Other News forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > The News Desk > Operation Sports Content and Other News
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-28-2008, 12:48 PM   #1
Executive Editor

RaychelSnr's Arena

OVR: 57
The Wii: Casually Moving on Up

Chris Sanner of Operation Sports has written an article discussing the overall future of the Wii console for sports gamers.

Quote:
"The biggest underdog triumph story that I can remember in the history of video games is the release of the Nintendo Wii. Very few people could have foreseen the absolutely huge success the console has had since it hit the market."
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-28-2008, 03:29 PM   #2
MVP

OVR: 18
All I have to say is Pro Evolution Soccer 2008. The developers created a gem, that sadly to many non soccer gamers will never give a chance, though they should. I can imagine the possibilites if more time went in to create a game from scratch and not to just cash in. Peace.
Old 03-29-2008, 12:30 AM   #3
16 Time World Champion

Nature_Boy's Arena

OVR: 30
Great article Chris. I stood in line for three hours the 1st day Gamestop was taking pre-orders for the Wii. I don't reget a second of it. I'm glad Nintendo is going strong once again. I was afraid they were down for the count when Nintendo released the N64 and the Gamecube. I think the ref's hand was going down for the three count when Nintendo rasied it's shoulder off the mat at the very last moment.

You know I just had to throw a wrestling reference in there somewhere didn't you Chris?

Last edited by Nature_Boy; 03-29-2008 at 12:51 AM. Reason: Even with my reading glasses on, I still can't see worth a dime.
Old 03-30-2008, 10:25 AM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 2
Casual is fine. Crap is not. The Wii gets a lot of crappy ports. The developers blame it on not enough power but the system is as powerful as the xbox and it had really good graphics. Madden for wii took away player heights and the NBA game for wii didnt have create a player, franchise mode or player lock. All of these features were in the gamecube versions what happened?
Old 03-31-2008, 01:36 AM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 2
About to head home and hook up my Wii for the first time. After being a 360 loyalist since it came out, the declining fun factor finally did me in with MLB 2k8 which is craptastic. Bill Walsh College Football and Earl Weaver Baseball didn't have a ton of depth compared to today's games but they ate up hours by being addictive and fun. I'll give up the uniforms blowing in the wind and ultra realistic stadiums for some fun again.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-31-2008, 11:12 AM   #6
MVP

dbeth's Arena

OVR: 21
Re: The Wii: Casually Moving on Up

My wife and I just picked up Williams Pinball Classics for the Wii this weekend. We're having a blast. Does it need graphical prowess?? Nope. But it plays good pinball on EXACT tables from the 70s-90s (Funhouse is AWESOME!!). You use the Z and B triggers as flippers, the nunchuck stick as the plunger, and you can shake either the nunchuck or Wiimote to shake the table. Literally pick up and play.

We were talking on the way home that night about the Wii vs. the 360 and I'm starting to get to that stage in life (wife, home, kid on the way) where I don't have time to sit and game for 3+ hours straight. I do have times were I can game for an hour plus and work on my CH2k8 legacy, or play a game of APF or R6:Vegas (1 or 2), but I find myself playing Pac-Man or Guitar Hero more often than not.

That's where the console difference comes in to play. I view the 360 as my "serious" gaming and the Wii when I want to have fun.

360:
APF
NBA 2k8
CH 2k8
R6:Vegas 1
R6:Vegas 2

Wii:
Wii Sports
Wario Ware
Excite Truck
Guitar Hero III
Williams Pinball Classics

My wife and I play the Wii a TON and enjoy every minute of it. I didn't buy it for graphics or horsepower, I bought it for fun. I do agree that I hate crap ports for it, but originality is being rewarded on it, I just wish more developers would take a risk and try something new for it.

I hope down the line, when the Wii2 (Wii-Wii) comes out, they keep the controls, but just up the graphics. That's where Nintendo may have struck gold. Consumers didn't NEED the switch to Hi-Def yet (heck, the HDTV infiltration still hasn't taken hold), so once again, next generation, Nintendo will be able to price a $200-$250 machine where Microsoft and Sony will have $400-$500 machines. I would be THRILLED with a Hi-Def Wii2 where you can use your existing controllers next-gen for $200. Is it possible? I think so. Will it happen? That's the real question...

Go Badgers!
Old 03-31-2008, 12:13 PM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikkiwii
Casual is fine. Crap is not. The Wii gets a lot of crappy ports. The developers blame it on not enough power but the system is as powerful as the xbox and it had really good graphics. Madden for wii took away player heights and the NBA game for wii didnt have create a player, franchise mode or player lock. All of these features were in the gamecube versions what happened?
Agreed, but this is the developer's fault, not the system's. As Sausage posted, just look at Pro Evolution Soccer 2008, this is not a rehashed, crappy port. It uses Wii controls in a whole new way, and is fun and unique because of that.

It really is still relatively early in the Wii's life-cycle, and developers will (hopefully) learn fast that crappy games won't work forever just by throwing in a few Wii motion controls...
Old 03-31-2008, 01:57 PM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 8
Re: The Wii: Casually Moving on Up

Pinball Hall of Fame: the Williams Collection is the best pick up and play game I have played on Wii. It was a steal for 13.98 at Target. I suggest anyone remotely interested in Pinball pick it up.

Sports on Wii.... Ummm, getting better. At least all the EA titles are online now. Well mostly. Tiger Woods would have been huge online. Instead it was just a rehash of 2007. Take 2 hasn't put a title online yet. The Bigs, MLB Power Pros, and MLB 2k8 all offline and all not getting a purchase from me. I would consider NBA 2k9 without online if it included player lock.

« Operation Sports Forums > The News Desk > Operation Sports Content and Other News »