Home

OS Roundtable: Looking at the Best Sports Game Tourney

This is a discussion on OS Roundtable: Looking at the Best Sports Game Tourney within the Operation Sports Content and Other News forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > The News Desk > Operation Sports Content and Other News
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-08-2008, 10:56 AM   #17
MVP

Cletus's Arena

OVR: 15
Re: OS Roundtable: Looking at the Best Sports Game Tourney

Here's the thing I hate about 2k5. They stuffed so much in there and a few of the things they put in there were broken but no one mentions them. It seems like they just threw things to the wall and hoped everything sticked. Sure 2k5 did some good things, but it's evened out by all the things it didn't do great. Don't bother talking about them here though because 2k5 can heal lepers, aids, flu, cook you breakfast and service your car.
Old 05-08-2008, 10:57 AM   #18
Sean Payton: Retribution

jmood88's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
NFL 2K5, while it does deserve some praise, IS NOT the be all end all football game. I'm sorry. While it did boast some good features it is not even clearly the best football game this decade much less the best game of all time. A few editions of NCAA Football and several editions of Madden can all challenge 2K5 in that respect.
Lol which editions? Madden fans are still asking for features that were in 2k5.

If I went any bigger, it would not have properly fit with my equipment, so I had to optimize. I'm okay with it, but I also know what I'm missing with those five inches. :)
Old 05-08-2008, 11:06 AM   #19
stewaat

OVR:
A huge factor in all of this is how you measure the "greatness" of a game. Do you look for the features? Gameplay? Graphics? Depth? Fun factor?

It's obvious that today's games have more features and have clear cut advantages in certain aspects. It's all about what you find important when you turn on the console. I chose Madden 2001 because I looked forward to playing that game after school every day.

While some of us might have similar tastes in games more than likely our experiences is what truly dictates what makes a game enjoyable.

Old 05-08-2008, 11:08 AM   #20
Sean Payton: Retribution

jmood88's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cletus
Here's the thing I hate about 2k5. They stuffed so much in there and a few of the things they put in there were broken but no one mentions them. It seems like they just threw things to the wall and hoped everything sticked. Sure 2k5 did some good things, but it's evened out by all the things it didn't do great. Don't bother talking about them here though because 2k5 can heal lepers, aids, flu, cook you breakfast and service your car.
No the reason why we can't talk about it is because the people who say that the game is overrated always take things to the extreme. No one has made those outlandish claims about how good the game is and the flaws have been discussed numerous times but people are able to overlook those flaws because of how good the game is. There's a reason why so many people are still playing it 4 years after it came out.

If I went any bigger, it would not have properly fit with my equipment, so I had to optimize. I'm okay with it, but I also know what I'm missing with those five inches. :)
Old 05-08-2008, 12:42 PM   #21
MVP

yamabushi's Arena

OVR: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlyGilmore
Yama - none of the games you mentioned were the last in the line. And none of those games were produced in the era of annual updates, making it a bit of an apples to oranges comparison.
Quick research shows TSB coming out in '91 the sequel, TSB II in '94, and TSB III a year or 2 later.
As for Punch Out!!, correct me if Im wrong but the only sequel Im aware of is Super Punch Out which came out 7 years later for the SNES.
Baseball Stars sequels only came out for the Neo-Geo. Effectively ending the series in America.

Of course, I could be wrong on all of these.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-08-2008, 02:08 PM   #22
Have you seen my baseball

BlyGilmore's Arena

OVR: 44

Baseball Stars II was released both on the Neo-Geo and the NES. Another version of Punchout was released on the NES without Mike Tyson (although not really a sequel - just a different last fight).
Old 05-08-2008, 02:09 PM   #23
DC
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 39

A term that my friends and I use when discussing games over different eras is "Time for Time."

Like my man before said; You can't just look at the technological superiority as the reason why something is BETTER. You have to judge it for when it came out. How groundbreaking was it? How did it fair against it's competition from that year? How EAGER were you to play it?

Time for Time (to me) NBA 2K2 is the best 2K of all time. No it is not graphically better than 2K8 NOR does it have MORE features. But for WHEN the game came out, I was more impressed with THAT than I was with NBA 2K8.

But this will ALWAYS be an issue when comparing ANYTHING over two different time spans.
Old 05-08-2008, 02:11 PM   #24
It is now the SW Era

muggins's Arena

OVR: 25

I think I've met 2 people in my life who ever played a Tecmo football game after TSB.

edit: And I heard from both of them that they were pretty awful

BAD BOYS BAD BOYS

« Operation Sports Forums > The News Desk > Operation Sports Content and Other News »