Home

What the Future Holds For Sports Gaming

This is a discussion on What the Future Holds For Sports Gaming within the Operation Sports Content and Other News forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > The News Desk > Operation Sports Content and Other News
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-09-2008, 05:39 PM   #1
Executive Editor

RaychelSnr's Arena

OVR: 57
What the Future Holds For Sports Gaming

Operation Sports' James Linden just submitted an article on what he expects the future of sports video games to look like. Check out his article here.

Quote:
"I first played video sports games on my 1981 Intellivision, so it's safe to say that I've witnessed the evolution of the gaming experience. Back in the day, you were lucky if your videogame console had a basketball, baseball, or an auto racing game to play. In today’s fast paced videogame world, there are sometimes 4-5 options of sports games within one particular genre. So, what’s next? There’s certainly no "cap" in sight for further developments for sports games and I believe there are even greater things to come in the next several years."
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-09-2008, 06:33 PM   #2
MVP

yamabushi's Arena

OVR: 37
Re: What the Future Holds For Sports Gaming

Quote:
My other hope/prediction may be a scary proposition for some, but it would be great if some of these games were scaled back a bit in terms of complexity of controls. For example, the simulation baseball games have become almost impossible for the novice to pick up and enjoy from the start. What made the Wii so popular, beyond its interactiveness? Intuitive controls.
Intuitiveness and simplicity do not go hand in hand.

And lets leave the Wii and its so-called "intuitive controls" where it belongs; at parties and retirerment homes. If you want Wii Sports controls, please, play Wii Sports.
Old 05-09-2008, 07:08 PM   #3
Banned

OVR: 26
Re: What the Future Holds For Sports Gaming

I'm not worried about the future of sports games. We had the best soccer and hockey games ever this year, and from the company that supposedly is destroying sports gaming. Plus the best baseball ever (The Show), and that game is going to be around for a long while.

Football... that's another story. Maybe Backbreaker will wake people up by showing what a new-gen football animation engine (Natural Motion) is actually supposed to look like.

As for the controls comment: I don't see how it really ties in with the point of this article. But I agree 2K badly miscalculated with MLB and NHL, trying to make the game appear new-gen by virtue of a new control scheme, instead focusing on raising the quality of the overall product.
Old 05-09-2008, 07:23 PM   #4
#BringBackFaceuary

ChaseB's Arena

OVR: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by yamabushi
Intuitiveness and simplicity do not go hand in hand.

And lets leave the Wii and its so-called "intuitive controls" where it belongs; at parties and retirerment homes. If you want Wii Sports controls, please, play Wii Sports.
Why doesn't intuitive and simplistic go hand in hand? If your controls make sense then they are easy to understand from the start. He's not necessarily advocating Wii controls for the simulation games on the other current-gen consoles, just simply re-thinking how developers go about doing the controls perhaps. The likely scenario is that they don't actually change the controls to any major degree since there'd be certain folks who scream bloody murder -- and instead do more of the 'family play' type stuff to make it easier for gamers.
Old 05-10-2008, 06:01 PM   #5
Rookie

frago's Arena

OVR: 6
The Duture of Sports video games is very very bleak my friend. One company will make all games and you will have zero choice.

Beleive it.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-10-2008, 08:06 PM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 1
I just hope he's right on about the online leagues. If NCAA 09 gameplay is ok, the majority of my gaming time will be spent on that title.

« Operation Sports Forums > The News Desk > Operation Sports Content and Other News »