Home

Analyzing Commentary in Sports Games

This is a discussion on Analyzing Commentary in Sports Games within the Operation Sports Content and Other News forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > The News Desk > Operation Sports Content and Other News
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-14-2008, 03:54 PM   #1
Executive Editor

RaychelSnr's Arena

OVR: 57
Analyzing Commentary in Sports Games

Operation Sports' Richard Chavez has penned an article discussing how important commentary really is for sports games. Check out the article here.

Quote:
"High fly ball into right field, she is gone!" Those are the famous words spoken by legendary commentator Vin Scully. Those words made one of the biggest home runs hit in World Series history memorable to every baseball fan. There is no doubt, even without the commentary, Kirk Gibson's shot off of Dennis Eckersley would be remembered today and replayed numerous times every October. But there is something about the calmness as the bat connects, the excitement as the ball leaves the park, and the silence as Gibson rounds the bases. The entire moment was handled perfectly by Scully."
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-14-2008, 04:13 PM   #2
MVP

yamabushi's Arena

OVR: 37
While it is a peripheral issue and its hard to get on somebody for not going all out like ‘The Show’, a good commentary does enhance the enjoyment and immersion. And frankly how hard is it to get a couple guys in the studio for a week or 2?

As for trotting out the ‘big’ names, well, I find it highly doubtful a guy the likes of Chris Collinsworth is going to put much time or energy into a ‘video game’.
Old 05-15-2008, 10:01 AM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 10
This article ties in with one the other day about the need for developers to get the details (mentioning hit streaks, career achievements, game milestones,etc). A deep inventory of commentary that mixes play by play, with stories, player strength and weakness analysis and other aspects just makes a game better. People often complain about uniform problems and lack of refs and I know some people get frustrated by all these complaints, but these too fall under details. A game as big as Madden with the resources EA has should make a great game each year (INCLUDING the details). When you are the lone ship in the harbor (thanks to the exclusive NFL deal) then you open yourself up for the constant barrage of backlash because people don't have options. There is no other NFL title to compare Madden to, so really the bar is set to each individual's expectations. I think most people will admit EA has failed to meet their expectations the last few years. I know they have failed to meet mine and I consider most of mine reasonable.....again considering the resources EA has for a major title such as Madden.
Old 05-15-2008, 10:36 AM   #4

OVR: 34
Good read. I love the addition of solid relevant commentary in sports games. So far, I'd say my most enjoyable has been FIFA 08.
Old 05-16-2008, 01:05 PM   #5
CMH
Making you famous

CMH's Arena

OVR: 46
Re: Analyzing Commentary in Sports Games

Hey, now, Richard didn't write this.
"It may well be that we spectators, who are not divinely gifted as athletes, are the only ones able to truly see, articulate and animate the experience of the gift we are denied. And that those who receive and act out the gift of athletic genius must, perforce, be blind and dumb about it -- and not because blindness and dumbness are the price of the gift, but because they are its essence." - David Foster Wallace

"You'll not find more penny-wise/pound-foolish behavior than in Major League Baseball." - Rob Neyer
Advertisements - Register to remove

« Operation Sports Forums > The News Desk > Operation Sports Content and Other News »