Home

Why Next-Gen Sports Games Disappoint

This is a discussion on Why Next-Gen Sports Games Disappoint within the Operation Sports Content and Other News forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > The News Desk > Operation Sports Content and Other News
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-29-2008, 01:59 PM   #1
Editor-in-Chief

Steve_OS's Arena

OVR: 77
Why Next-Gen Sports Games Disappoint

Will McCombs checks in today with an in-depth look into the world of next-gen sports gaming. Why Next-Gen Sports Games Disappoint focuses on the reasons why many of the Xbox 360 and PS3 sports games to date have left sports gamers asking for more.

Quote:
"Sadly, no company will ever make “enough money.” Those of you who are already in the working world learned this quickly, and those of you who are not, soon will. Companies are always searching for ways to increase their year-over-year profits, even if it doesn’t seem to make sense to everyone else."
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-29-2008, 02:53 PM   #2
Banned

bigjake62505's Arena

OVR: 22
Good write up. I have been a EA sports fan since the first Madden was made. I have always, up until recently, waited impatiently for the newest edition of my favorite franchise to hit the stores. But for the past three seasons I always feel let down. Granted I haven't purchased a new game off of the shelves in two years because of the lack of effort or whatever you want to call the so called next gen games to date. Call me stupid or fussy it does not matter to me, but when I pay $400-$500 for a next gen system, $60 for next gen games I want to feel like its money well spent. I want chain gangs, and refs on the field. I want EA sports to live up to its motto "if its in the game, its in the game".
Old 05-29-2008, 02:59 PM   #3
Marvel's Finest

JBH3's Arena

OVR: 48
No vintage Masters of the Universe action figures here as my mom made me sell them at a yard sale a long, long time ago....I did have Castle Grayskull AND Skeletor's lair....Ha Ha... ;0)

Man...Next-Gen Sports gaming HAS been the dumps so far...I expected sooo much from Madden, and EA has done nothing but disappoint me since 2006. The graphics are nice looking, but the effect they have on my desire to play greatly wanes once I've gotten a season under my belt in franchise mode and see everything I loved from last-gen gone and a bare bones franchise mode w/ this stupid ring builder crap that I would like to digitally melt down, make a bullet out of and...well I better not say.

These development companies etc. have had to make some serious cash since next-gen came about because if $$$ spent on man hours = the quality of the game then I would suggest that they haven't spent much time on these games and have essentially pocketed a crap load of money since not many resources were put into the game...Or it's either they don't know what the hell they're doing. One or the other.

Madden 09 is going to have to have a huge endorsement from the OS community before I go out and buy it this year. I can make due w/ games that have gotten it right on Next-Gen - GTA IV, COD4, Halo 3, and Mass Effect (which I haven't beat yet). And I will admit that I've so far enjoyed MLB 2K8, that is, after I started a new franchise w/ CPU trades off and finally found a good paid of sliders (that only took 3 months)...
Old 05-29-2008, 04:27 PM   #4
Banned

OVR: 26
Re: Why Next-Gen Sports Games Disappoint

Hmm...

MLB 08 - best baseball game ever.
NHL 08 - best hockey game ever.
FIFA 08 - one of the best, and certainly the most innovative soccer game ever.
Madden... yeah, but has it actually ever been good?

In other words, not disappointing in the least.
Old 05-29-2008, 04:32 PM   #5
Banned

OVR: 17
When I think of madden, I find it very hard to believe how little the game has changed when you remember it been around 20 years. Look at just about anything and think about where it was twenty years ago and think about where it is today. Say cars or computers, I dare say they have come much feather then madden has in the last 20 years. I think they might even be harder to come up with new innovations for cars and CPU's then it is for madden. Shocking if you really think about how little has changed in 20 years.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-29-2008, 05:27 PM   #6
Donny Baseball!

Skyboxer's Arena

OVR: 55
Re: Why Next-Gen Sports Games Disappoint

Well if you're a big FB fan and have zero interest in hockey or soccer then it's been a major disappointment...

Skyboxer OS TWITCH
STEAM
PSN: Skyboxeros
SWITCH 8211-0709-4612
XBOX Skyboxer OS
Old 05-29-2008, 05:47 PM   #7
#BringBackFaceuary

ChaseB's Arena

OVR: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by baa7
Hmm...

MLB 08 - best baseball game ever.
NHL 08 - best hockey game ever.
FIFA 08 - one of the best, and certainly the most innovative soccer game ever.
Madden... yeah, but has it actually ever been good?

In other words, not disappointing in the least.
I only agree with NHL and The Show. FIFA not there yet and neither is Madden.
Old 05-29-2008, 05:51 PM   #8
Semi-retired

BrianFifaFan's Arena

OVR: 50
Baa, you hit it on the Head. With all those games mentioned it kinda sheds a harsh light on Maddens shortcomings. But in all fairness I think we've seen a ray of hope as of late for the franchise, as well. It's now a matter of communication and being patient.....

« Operation Sports Forums > The News Desk > Operation Sports Content and Other News »