Home

Finding More Joy in Games

This is a discussion on Finding More Joy in Games within the Operation Sports Content and Other News forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > The News Desk > Operation Sports Content and Other News
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-24-2008, 03:58 PM   #1
Executive Editor

RaychelSnr's Arena

OVR: 57
Finding More Joy in Games

Rob Fetter checks in today with an article that encourages gamers to just shut up and play their games in order to just have some fun. Be sure to check out Rob's latest article, Finding More Joy in Games.

Quote:
"Games are what they are; don’t expect Madden to dynamically change what it is. It’s a game that generally has an offensive focus and allows you to get more yards passing than on the ground. NCAA Football is a great game, but the defense in it is lacking. Fight Night was fun in the ring, but its career mode was mundane. Games at their core are for the most part going to continue to be what they have been in the past, but that doesn’t mean that beyond all the negative things there aren’t a ton of fantastic aspects to the games as well."
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-24-2008, 04:21 PM   #2
Moderator/Writer

PVarck31's Arena

OVR: 46
Great Article. My thoughts exactly.
Old 06-24-2008, 04:30 PM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 3
I agree whole-heartedly.
Old 06-24-2008, 05:02 PM   #4
ehh
Hall Of Fame

ehh's Arena

OVR: 44
Great article, I agree with it so much I pretty much gave up sports games for the foreseeable future, sold my 360 and bought a Wii.

Maybe the games have gotten worse, maybe they haven't but once I realized I got to a point where I literally had to search for reasons to enjoy/play a game (mostly roster editing/updating) it was time to move on.
Old 06-24-2008, 05:42 PM   #5
Go Wings!

OVR: 41
Re: Finding More Joy in Games

I'm right with you! Great article, and right on point. Sometimes people want games to be so realistic that they'd cease to be fun to everyone but them. I'm not a NFL QB, I don't have the skills to do so, I want my video games to be fun not work. The day I have to study tape of CPU football games for hours before a Franchise mode game is the day I stop playing football games.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-24-2008, 10:49 PM   #6
MVP

statum71's Arena

OVR: 61
You're right. We do complain too much, and no game is perfect. But if I had to pick one as being as close as I've seen to perfect...it's MLB: The Show 08
Old 06-24-2008, 11:56 PM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 3
Excellent article that I hope every OS member reads. I used to be in on that crowd of nitpicking and hating about everything in sports games. I don't know what it was, but I think a lot of it had to do with my maturity as a gamer in general. Many of the sports games out there are pretty good, enjoy what we've got. I'm not saying put aside the criticism, but be smart about what you are criticising and understand that this industy is a business just like any other.
Old 06-25-2008, 02:12 AM   #8
Pro

Lordcledus's Arena

OVR: 10
Re: Finding More Joy in Games

I agree for the most part. I'm really surprised he didn't mention the people who are graphic whores and bash a game no matter how fun it is because it isn't as pretty as another.

XBL: Lordcledus

« Operation Sports Forums > The News Desk > Operation Sports Content and Other News »