Home

OS Fact or Fiction - June 26th

This is a discussion on OS Fact or Fiction - June 26th within the Operation Sports Content and Other News forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > The News Desk > Operation Sports Content and Other News
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-26-2008, 12:14 PM   #1
Executive Editor

RaychelSnr's Arena

OVR: 57
OS Fact or Fiction - June 26th

This week, Operation Sports staff members Richard Chavez, Matt Gagnon, Rob Fetter and Chris Sanner are under the microscope as they seek to answer key questions on gamings future. We go from NBA Live, to an EA Console, to Madden and then finish things up with some 2K Sports banter. Be sure to check out their answers and add your own input! Check out their answers by heading to this week's OS Fact or Fiction now!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-26-2008, 01:55 PM   #2
MVP

yamabushi's Arena

OVR: 37
Re: OS Fact or Fiction - June 26th

#1 Fact. Could it get worse?

#2 Fiction. I just dont see them taking the risk.

Quote:
you alone would have the best sports games on one console

Plus - EAstation only 199.99, power cord, controller, A/V components, DVD/Blu-ray player, processor, fan, and memory all sold separately.

#3 Fact, but still... and Ill quote my self from Ian's full game thread -
Quote:
the presentation and commentary combine for some serious dullness. ......and that cut-away shot between plays from the corner of the endzone w/ the photographers? Im already sick of it.
#4 Fact. And that big release needs has to be APF2K9 with PES customization and franchise. A sports developer in America with out Football is going no where fast.

Last edited by yamabushi; 06-26-2008 at 02:01 PM.
Old 06-26-2008, 02:10 PM   #3
All Star

OVR: 35

If the NBA 2k team has moved over to Live, you can bet that Live will be the better game by 2009. This year expect very little in the way of improvements to NBA 2k (which is very unfortunate) while Live will probably make big strides.
Old 06-26-2008, 04:16 PM   #4
Faceuary!

N51_rob's Arena

OVR: 54
I think that 2K's biggest weakness is marketing. Someone said it earlier. NBA 2k was far superior to Live and yet they were still outsold most years. That isn't good. Maybe this is the year to go old school (NFL 2k5 style) and release NBA 2k9 a week earlier than Live and for $39.99 just to get their product out the masses.

Last edited by N51_rob; 06-26-2008 at 04:27 PM.
Old 06-26-2008, 04:23 PM   #5
MVP

OVR: 25
Live 09 will still be running on the same ****ty engine, so it won't be better than 2K9. 2K hasn't shown ANY of their cards yet this year, so I don't think Live has a chance again this year. Now 2010 could be another story, but not this year. No way, too big of a mountain for EA to climb in one year.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-27-2008, 08:16 AM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 2
2k should sell now while they are still worth something. Give it a couple more years with only NBA and NHL selling in significant numbers. It'll be like owning stock in domestic auto companies.
Old 06-27-2008, 09:34 AM   #7
Banned

OVR: 31
Pretty good list and I agree with most of the OS staff with the exception of Chris about EA going into hardware, isn't going to happen.

I also disagree with him about question 4, 2k NEEDS to move their line in the other direction from where they've been headed so far in next gen and it needs to happen sooner rather than later.

With the marketing dollars and hype EA uses, and the fact that the 2k marketing dept. can't seem to market their way out of a wet paper bag, the deck will just get more and more stacked against them unless they can turn around both the NHL sku and the MLB sku and bring them to where they both should be by now on the NG platforms. Upgrading the visuals across the sports line to be on par with EA's line up wouldn't hurt either. There's no excuse 4 years in to still have your sports games still running on a last gen engine.
Old 06-29-2008, 02:43 AM   #8
Release the Kirchen

auburntigersfan's Arena

OVR: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by N51_rob
I think that 2K's biggest weakness is marketing. Someone said it earlier. NBA 2k was far superior to Live and yet they were still outsold most years. That isn't good. Maybe this is the year to go old school (NFL 2k5 style) and release NBA 2k9 a week earlier than Live and for $39.99 just to get their product out the masses.
they sure would sell a lot that way. I would buy it on release if they did that, and I am sure many people would change from live to 2k.

« Operation Sports Forums > The News Desk > Operation Sports Content and Other News »