Home

Top Spin 3 Review

This is a discussion on Top Spin 3 Review within the Operation Sports Content and Other News forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > The News Desk > Operation Sports Content and Other News
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-03-2008, 03:43 PM   #1
Executive Editor

RaychelSnr's Arena

OVR: 57
Top Spin 3 Review

We have just posted our review of Top Spin 3.

Quote:
"The original Top Spin is the benchmark many people judge all other tennis games by. It made a lot of people forget about Virtua Tennis because it offered a more sim-like gameplay style, as well as solid online play. However, Top Spin 1 is not like Top Spin 3, and I said as much in my preview of the game. I also essentially said that it was refreshing to see a sequel being reinvented, rather than just being iterative. But while it may be refreshing it also makes Top Spin 3 a divisive title among existing fans. But if existing fans can push past their nostalgia and embrace the new control scheme found in Top Spin 3, then there is a game here worth checking out."

Platform: Xbox 360
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-03-2008, 03:45 PM   #2
Go Wings!

OVR: 41
Great review....The game has stellar gameplay but everything else is lacking in some way, bringing a solid 9ish game down to a 7.5...
Old 07-03-2008, 07:04 PM   #3
Mercy Extended. John 3:16

texbuk84's Arena

OVR: 34
great review. i agree but i would have given it a 8.2
Old 07-03-2008, 11:33 PM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 17
Took me halfway thru Junior Circuit to get the controls down, just now figuring out how to use the power option

Controls just used my scrot as a punching bag for sure until now

NICE REVIEW CHASE F YOURSELF
Old 07-07-2008, 03:25 PM   #5
Banned

OVR: 8
I checked out the demo of this game and felt it totally blows. Yeah, maybe if spending time to adjust to the system may make it enjoyable but why the hell do I want to spend hours on learning a totally different system? I play sports games for fun and this was not fun. EVERY OTHER sports game I have ever played was fun off the bat but not this piece.

I also think people defend the system a bit too much and claim realism. What I saw is you basically need to be ready to let go of the button not much after the ball passes the net. How is this real? I watch real tennis and what i see is guys get into position and coil back and swing when the ball basically bounces. Doing this in top spin 3 results in a massive whiff of the ball seconds after it passes. It is an impossibility in TS3 to hit the button right when the ball is up on you but as seen in real tennis, you can hit the ball when it is up on you, just that your shot won't be that great.

I swear that the control system is flat out broken but people simply get used to it being broken and then assume it is meant to be like that.

All in all, a game I was so looking forward to but is 45 steps back from top spin 2.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-10-2008, 07:18 PM   #6
Probably Insane

Village Idiot's Arena

OVR: 30
Not sure about the demo, but steveo, dude, you let go of the button when the ball bounces to get the best result in the retail version. Controls are tight.
Old 07-10-2008, 09:02 PM   #7
Go Wings!

OVR: 41
Re: Top Spin 3 Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undefeated
Not sure about the demo, but steveo, dude, you let go of the button when the ball bounces to get the best result in the retail version. Controls are tight.
Yeah, I let go of the button when the ball bounces...I feel the rumble when I get it right. It's all about timing, and the controls are fine...I was frustrated my first 20 minutes too, but it'd be like playing Madden for the first time, you're gonna suck off the bat.
Old 07-10-2008, 10:28 PM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 2
Venus and Serena/The Williams sisters

Are the Williams sisters on Top Spin 3?

« Operation Sports Forums > The News Desk > Operation Sports Content and Other News »