Home

What Happened to Playing for the Love of the Game?

This is a discussion on What Happened to Playing for the Love of the Game? within the Operation Sports Content and Other News forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > The News Desk > Operation Sports Content and Other News
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-27-2008, 10:27 PM   #17
Mercy Extended. John 3:16

texbuk84's Arena

OVR: 34
nice article. i play for the love of the game but men are very competiitve and tahat's our nature. we have to take it to the max
Old 07-28-2008, 10:44 AM   #18
Grayscale

slickdtc's Arena

OVR: 26
Re: What Happened to Playing for the Love of the Game?

I know I've said it before, but I'll say it again. Once I just started playing the games, I started having fun. I was hardcore into sliders and simulation and realism, and then one day I just said, "Forget this." I wanted to experience the game as they were made. Yes, I still like to lean towards realism (lower game speeds for NHL games, things like that) but if I happen to score 4+ goals a game, so be it. I don't feel like wasting all my time tinkering with sliders and not enjoying my games.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Money99
And how does one levy a check that will result in only a slight concussion? Do they set their shoulder-pads to 'stun'?
Old 08-03-2008, 09:54 AM   #19
MVP

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by slickdtc
I know I've said it before, but I'll say it again. Once I just started playing the games, I started having fun. I was hardcore into sliders and simulation and realism, and then one day I just said, "Forget this." I wanted to experience the game as they were made. Yes, I still like to lean towards realism (lower game speeds for NHL games, things like that) but if I happen to score 4+ goals a game, so be it. I don't feel like wasting all my time tinkering with sliders and not enjoying my games.
This exactly what brought enjoyment back to sports gaming for me. Now, I play more and just having a blast, especially with NCAA 09.
Old 08-04-2008, 08:15 PM   #20
Probably Insane

Village Idiot's Arena

OVR: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by duke776
... some of the people take games way too serious.
I actually think it's the opposite: guys aren't taking the games seriously enough. They may think they're taking it seriously, but in truth they're just going through the motions.

I'm to the point in NCAA now where every first down I get, and every TFL I get, makes me pump my fist in the air. Why? Because I'm involved - in the truest sense of the word - in what I'm doing. I'm actually running out the playclock not because I'm milking it, but because I need the time to find the "perfect" play.

If I were just button-mashing the playcall screens - what I suspect A LOT of guys around here are doing - I would never experience the game the way I am now.

It's been a sort of catch-phrase of mine lately: these games are much better than a lot of people seem to think; it all comes back to the gamer and how much mental energy he or she is willing to put in to take them to that next level. The game - or any artform, for that matter - can't do it by itself.

I haven't been truly disappointed with a game in a long time now, and it's simply because I take them seriously.
Old 08-06-2008, 01:54 PM   #21
MVP

duke776's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undefeated
I actually think it's the opposite: guys aren't taking the games seriously enough. They may think they're taking it seriously, but in truth they're just going through the motions.

I'm to the point in NCAA now where every first down I get, and every TFL I get, makes me pump my fist in the air. Why? Because I'm involved - in the truest sense of the word - in what I'm doing. I'm actually running out the playclock not because I'm milking it, but because I need the time to find the "perfect" play.

If I were just button-mashing the playcall screens - what I suspect A LOT of guys around here are doing - I would never experience the game the way I am now.

It's been a sort of catch-phrase of mine lately: these games are much better than a lot of people seem to think; it all comes back to the gamer and how much mental energy he or she is willing to put in to take them to that next level. The game - or any artform, for that matter - can't do it by itself.

I haven't been truly disappointed with a game in a long time now, and it's simply because I take them seriously.
I do see what you mean here. Good point.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-07-2008, 11:42 AM   #22
Rookie

OVR: 1

only money is important.............
Old 08-07-2008, 04:14 PM   #23
MVP

duke776's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by kollekole
only money is important.............
Yup

« Operation Sports Forums > The News Desk > Operation Sports Content and Other News »