Home

Why The MLB Should Care That The Show Changed My Life

This is a discussion on Why The MLB Should Care That The Show Changed My Life within the Operation Sports Content and Other News forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > The News Desk > Operation Sports Content and Other News
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-05-2008, 07:08 PM   #9
MVP

OVR: 41
I wouldn't say the game changed my life, but it certainly has been a pleasant surprise. This is the first game that I can remember where I had no intention of ever playing it, then tried the demo, then bought it the day of release. It's a great game, and it makes me think about exclusive licenses, and suddenly every other sports game's presentation seems inadequate... it gives me things to think about, even if it didn't change my life.

Good read, though.
Old 08-05-2008, 07:08 PM   #10
Pro

asu666's Arena

OVR: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottdau
NHL 08 says hi! I love this game sure it has its issues, but it is still a great game and the stadiums are amazing to me.
I agree that NHL 08 was good and I'm expecting even better things from 09, but I would put it closer to NBA 2K8 in total quality and value. I think the depth of the MLB series has the edge on ever sports game so far, even dare I say it, NFL 2K5. But maybe not, because NFL 2K5 was only $20 new.
Old 08-05-2008, 07:43 PM   #11
Rookie

OVR: 6
It's an interesting argument, but it'll be a tough sell to MLB. They could care less about whether The Show is better than 2K8 or where MVP might rank if it came back.

From their perspective, all that might matter is whether one does a better job than another of creating new fans - and then estimating what sort of revenue those new fans would create. Everything you say is plausible, but it's damn near impossible to measure. Exclusive licensing fees, on the other hand, are known and certain. From a business perspective, as opposed to a gaming one, it doesn't seem like a difficult decision to me.

Other than that, I agree with everything
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-05-2008, 11:28 PM   #12
ehh
Hall Of Fame

ehh's Arena

OVR: 44
Re: Why The MLB Should Care That The Show Changed My Life

This article is just salt in the wound!

The biggest thing about The Show and NBA2K are that they have a solid foundation that they are building on each year. EA's football games, 2K's baseball game, etc are building on top of a cracked/damaged foundation - which gives us less hope that those games will be great again.

"Beware of geeks bearing formulas." - Warren Buffet
Old 08-06-2008, 12:41 AM   #13
All Star

DrJones's Arena

OVR: 20

MLB cares about one thing and one thing only: maximizing short-term revenues.
Quote:
Originally Posted by slickdtc
DrJones brings the stinky cheese is what we've all learned from this debacle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kipnis22
yes your fantasy world when your proven wrong about 95% of your post
Old 08-06-2008, 01:23 AM   #14
Go Wings!

OVR: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrJones
MLB cares about one thing and one thing only: maximizing short-term revenues.
I think now they care about long term revenues and trying to combat the NFL and get back in the public's favor, but they screwed themselves by selling their souls during the McGuire/Sosa/Bonds steroids era.
Old 08-06-2008, 09:17 AM   #15
Pro

bfindeisen's Arena

OVR: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by asu666
MLB: The Show is the best sports gaming series going now, but I almost think MLB will give EA an exclusive license the next go around and kill it. I would say we need to enjoy it while it lasts.

As for 08 I love it too, but the lack of a fix for being able to switch between Major and Minor league clubs to do roster editing was a disappointment. An eeor like that should have been caught. It isn't as bad as some of the bugs in NCAA 09 though.
NBA2k is the best sports series out...I'm a Show fan, but the gameplay isn't quite there yet, but much more polished than any game to date...
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-06-2008, 10:11 AM   #16
MVP

Hammerhunker's Arena

OVR: 22
I totally agree with this article. The Show 08 is a phenominal game. It didn't bring me back to the game, I never left, but it does enhance my love tremendously.

How I see it, this game has room for improvement, which is good, because that is what we want. The developers have shown an interest in what is said on these boards, so I truly believe that we will continue to see the needed improvements. Hopefully this game becomes the model for all other titles as far as quality assurance.

Finally, this is a video game, designed for entertainment. The Show accomplishes this in spades. When I am able to escape the daily grind of my life into the world of the Show, I am gone to a peaceful, relaxing world that puts everything into perspective, and realigns my spirit. That is worth every penny I spent on the this system and game.

Very good article.

« Operation Sports Forums > The News Desk > Operation Sports Content and Other News »