Home

What Happened to Playing for the Love of the Game?

This is a discussion on What Happened to Playing for the Love of the Game? within the Operation Sports Content and Other News forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > The News Desk > Operation Sports Content and Other News
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-25-2008, 03:35 PM   #1
Executive Editor

RaychelSnr's Arena

OVR: 57
What Happened to Playing for the Love of the Game?

Whatever happened to the good old days of just picking up a game and playing it to have fun? The days where graphics weren't such a big deal? Carlos Hernandez looks at a game many have looked over, MLB Power Pros for the Wii, and asks a very significant question: What Happened to Playing for the Love of the Game?

Quote:
"In this age of advanced computer technology and increased focus on delivering true-to-life specs, we gamers have grown accustomed to expecting graphical realism in any sports game attempting to replicate reality. When we play our favorite sports game we expect the images on-screen to compare favorably to those we see on a sports channel. So I ask, with this expectation in mind, how can any sports gamer be excited about the release of MLB Power Pros -- a baseball video game with characters so "cartoonish" their arms and legs are nowhere to be seen? Do you see the problem with even having to ask that question?"
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-25-2008, 03:58 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 6
Completely agree.

I don't know many people who've actually played the game who dislike it. I *do* know a lot of people who've never played it because in 07 it was available only on PS2 and Wii. And what's the standard reason for discounting games on both of those consoles? That's right: subpar graphics. So my guess is that the real reason this title doesn't garner more buzz is mostly because it is limited to consoles that die-hard sports gamers don't ever get excited about. The griping about graphics is only superficial.

What's funny is when you see a Wii owner complaining about Power Pros' graphics -- as if the alternatives are anything to write home about. I've got a Wii in the house (along with a PS3), and I love MLB Power Pros. In fact, if I had any complaint with 07, it was that it was actually too involved. I remember going into season mode and thinking, "Holy hell, do I really need to specify which players practice which skills with which other players on off-days?!?"

Also noteworthy - MLBPP 2007 had some of the most hilariously inaccurate audio commentary ever found in any sports title. I'm a goofball at heart, so it usually put a ****-eating grin on my face. But I can see how others found it annoying. Apparently, it's been corrected for 2008. Hmmm, progress.

Last edited by zzyzx; 07-25-2008 at 04:03 PM.
Old 07-25-2008, 06:04 PM   #3
MVP

lnin0's Arena

OVR: 23
Nice article. I have really enjoyed the direction and quality of the writing at OS lately. Much more insightful and interesting than the typical press release rehashing and free PR most of the other game sites pump out.
Old 07-25-2008, 06:13 PM   #4
MVP

Ziza9Noles94's Arena

OVR: 12
One of the games I'm really looking forward to picking up is the new Tecmo Bowl. Hey, some of my alltime favorite console football memories have to do with marathon season sessions of Tecmo back at college. Beer, Tecmo, and cries of "BS!". Not the prettiest series, maybe not the best series, but it was fun and very pick up and play. I love Madden, NCAA, etc. But flat out fun out of the box games like Tecmo will always have a special place in my heart.
Old 07-25-2008, 08:44 PM   #5
Banned

OVR: 17
Sorry to do this but lots of my disappointment stems from the hugh amount of hype that goes into these games only to feel that the hype was so high that the game can't live up to it. I think it works both ways. We live in America where big is never big enough or great is never great enough.

Thanks
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-25-2008, 11:36 PM   #6
Banned

OVR: 5
Well said dbrandon. The writer of this article misses the point or just gets it wrong. You say, how can people get excited about MLB Power Pros when it looks "cartoonish". If you even bother to read the gripes of many of the OS'ers or even people all over the gaming community, it has NOTHING to do with the way the games look but, instead of the way they P L A Y.

Many people are just getting sick of having games(not just sports games either) released with many bugs/glitches straight out of the box. It gets a lot of people thinking, does this company really care if it releases a quality product or don't care because they now have this wonderful medium called the internet to release patches when(not if) people find the bugs/glitches in the game. How is asking for a product that isn't broken straight out of the package, asking too much?
Old 07-26-2008, 02:03 AM   #7
MVP

Matt Diesel's Arena

OVR: 20
maybe if they played like the games they represent, we'd love em more.

Good article though.
Old 07-26-2008, 02:17 AM   #8
CMH
Making you famous

CMH's Arena

OVR: 46
Re: What Happened to Playing for the Love of the Game?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sqeg
Well said dbrandon. The writer of this article misses the point or just gets it wrong. You say, how can people get excited about MLB Power Pros when it looks "cartoonish". If you even bother to read the gripes of many of the OS'ers or even people all over the gaming community, it has NOTHING to do with the way the games look but, instead of the way they P L A Y.

Many people are just getting sick of having games(not just sports games either) released with many bugs/glitches straight out of the box. It gets a lot of people thinking, does this company really care if it releases a quality product or don't care because they now have this wonderful medium called the internet to release patches when(not if) people find the bugs/glitches in the game. How is asking for a product that isn't broken straight out of the package, asking too much?
I was talking about the people that have not played Power Pros. The fans of the game have complained time and time again about the lack of walks amongst other things and I specifically mentioned that Power Pros was not without it's issues.

But, for those that haven't played the game a good majority (just visit other boards and read the comments) have never given the game a chance because of it's look.
"It may well be that we spectators, who are not divinely gifted as athletes, are the only ones able to truly see, articulate and animate the experience of the gift we are denied. And that those who receive and act out the gift of athletic genius must, perforce, be blind and dumb about it -- and not because blindness and dumbness are the price of the gift, but because they are its essence." - David Foster Wallace

"You'll not find more penny-wise/pound-foolish behavior than in Major League Baseball." - Rob Neyer

« Operation Sports Forums > The News Desk > Operation Sports Content and Other News »