Home

OS Fact or Fiction: EA Won't Buy Us Edition

This is a discussion on OS Fact or Fiction: EA Won't Buy Us Edition within the Operation Sports Content and Other News forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > The News Desk > Operation Sports Content and Other News
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-21-2008, 04:05 PM   #1
Executive Editor

RaychelSnr's Arena

OVR: 57
OS Fact or Fiction: EA Won't Buy Us Edition

This week's edition of OS Fact or Fiction concentrates on Madden, the ongoing Take Two dillemma, hockey games and what the most important aspect of sports games are. Be sure to see what members of the Operation Sports Writing Staff have to say about these topics and add your very own two cents to the discussion! Check out the EA Won't Buy Us Edition of Fact or Fiction now!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-21-2008, 05:00 PM   #2
MVP

yamabushi's Arena

OVR: 37
1. Fiction: From terrible to Average. This is why the expression 'meh' was invinted.

2. Fiction/dont care: They'll long since been bought up. Or not. No Choops, no 2K football, no care anymore.

3. Hoc-key?

4. Fiction: Carlos is dead on: Gameplay. Gameplay. Gameplay.

Last edited by yamabushi; 08-21-2008 at 05:49 PM.
Old 08-21-2008, 05:29 PM   #3
Banned

OVR: 31
1 - Fact - Madden plays great. The running game and tackling was my biggest complaint for 6 years.
2 - Fact - I don't think this drama has played out yet.
3 - Hockey?
4 - Fact - Everyone wants online dynasty/career mode. I am a offline player and an in depth career mode is by far the most important factor.
Old 08-21-2008, 06:25 PM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 14
1. Fiction. The game this year is definitely good. But if they follow that up with a craptastic effort next year, then what's the point. For the franchise to really be back, it'll take a pattern of good games and good effort.

2. Fact. Unless 2K has one last ace up its sleeve, at some point, EA or someone else is gonna give them an offer they can't refuse.

3. Hockey is awesome, and you all are missing out. Fact. NHL 08 was a truly great game, everything just worked really well, and if 09 is even better, then 2k would have to reinvent their entire game to realistically compete.

4. Fiction. I would vote for gameplay and experience over the career mode, though it shouldn't be far behind.
Old 08-21-2008, 09:12 PM   #5
Banned

OVR: 29
Re: OS Fact or Fiction: EA Won't Buy Us Edition

#1 Given the positive feedback for Madden by critics, it is safe to say the franchise is back.
Void: I've only played the demo, so I can't really comment. I've no interest in the Madden series, and the demo did nothing to improve that.

#2 Take-Two will still be listening to buyout offers come next spring.
Fact: Everyone has their price.

#3 Despite the improvements touted for NHL 2K9, it will not even come close to NHL 09.
Fiction: I guess are a few things to be asked about this question, though. What do you mean by "come close". Do you mean in terms of sales/popularity, in terms of overall gameplay, in terms of trying to create a hockey game that plays like hockey?

I certainly don't believe 2k9 will beat out NHL 2009 in terms of popularity. But when it comes down to overall gameplay, the NHL 2k series has beaten the EA NHL series every year since 2k3. 2k8 was heads and tails above what NHL 2008 was. However, it should be noted that I look at it in terms of trying to "simulate" hockey. NHL 2008 was quite clearly an arcade game, while 2k8 tried to go the sim route. Since I'm a sim guy, 2k8 was my game of choice. I had total control over my players, whereas in 2008 I really didn't have nearly enough control.

I expect 2k9 to try to continue the sim aspect, while 2008 follows the arcade aspect. They're really two different games when it comes down to it. I enjoy SIM, others prefer an arcade experience. It's up to the player.

#4 The most important aspect of sports games, above all other aspects, is a career mode of some kind.
Fiction: Without gameplay, career mode means nothing. Gameplay is the most important aspect of any game.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-22-2008, 10:56 AM   #6
MVP

StormJH1's Arena

OVR: 13
Agreed with Timmay. There are a lot of people who don't care about the sport of hockey, who nonetheless love playing hockey videogames. It just lends itself well to the videogame format, for whatever reason. Also, NHL '08, which had a pretty weak franchise mode, is proof that you can make a great game without a spectacular franchise, but only if you've actually put in the effort to improve the gameplay and presentation. NHL '08 blew people away with its shotstick controls and A.I., but obviously, they'll need to improve the franchise and online features (which, for the latter, it would seem that they have) in order to stay on top.

On the broader point about franchise modes, I think NHL 2k is proof that a great career mode and tons of features can't save sub-par graphics and average gameplay. But if you look at something like APF 2k8, there's a game where most people loved the gameplay and were fine with the graphics, but the franchise and game concept was so poorly conceived (or non-existent) that hardly anyone was playing that game 6 months after release, assuming they bought it at all.
Old 08-22-2008, 11:48 AM   #7
MVP

yamabushi's Arena

OVR: 37
Let me add a post script to my comment;
I played Hockey games back on Genesis, and loved them (not a fan of the actual sport) but nowadays with a terrific franchise mode & gameplay (I hear) the same thing keep sme from NBA & NHL & even MLB games; Too many games.
NFL - 16 + playtoffs
CHoops - 30ish + tournaments
PES - 30ish
those others? 80+, 80+ , and 180+ thats anywhere from 4-10 NFL seasons. Just too much...
Old 08-22-2008, 12:08 PM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 17
2k sells to EA i'm going to kick someone in the junk, ie. Stephmc

« Operation Sports Forums > The News Desk > Operation Sports Content and Other News »