Home

Could a Great Game Elevate a Sport's Status?

This is a discussion on Could a Great Game Elevate a Sport's Status? within the Operation Sports Content and Other News forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > The News Desk > Operation Sports Content and Other News
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-24-2008, 02:59 PM   #1
Executive Editor

RaychelSnr's Arena

OVR: 57
Could a Great Game Elevate a Sport's Status?

Eric Faynberg, another rookie writing sensation here at OS, checks in with his first article ever to take a look at how a great game could elevate a sport's status in the sports world. Check out his article and let him know your thoughts!

Quote:
"Ever wonder why companies bother making games based on minor sports? The games rarely help the sport, they tend to not sell well, and are often just bad games altogether. Maybe there's a connection. Maybe if the games were better, they'd sell better. In fact, if the games were really good, maybe, just maybe, they could even help bring a little notoriety to the sport."
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-24-2008, 04:09 PM   #2
MVP

OVR: 32
Good article and good points made - For me, I think it does have the possiblity to do so. If we compare what games have done in terms of influence to movies (Max Payne movie, possible Halo film etc.) so why not the other way around? I mean, I literally got interested in baseball by picking up and playing Triple Play baseball... It was good enough for me to actually invest some interest in the real players that I played against in the game. Been a fan ever since -
Old 09-24-2008, 05:43 PM   #3
MVP

OVR: 21
Definitely. Think of how many people became hockey fans after falling in love with the NHL series back in the Genesis and Super NES days? I know that it piqued my interest in the sport. I mean, I liked hockey anyway, but those games just reinforced my passion for it. I'm sure the skill stick innovation and Be A Pro mode has attracted even more new fans.
Old 09-24-2008, 09:16 PM   #4
Hall Of Fame

LingeringRegime's Arena

OVR: 47
I used to be an avid soccer despiser. But, I played FIFA way back in 1994 and since then I have enjoyed the real life counterpart.
Old 09-24-2008, 11:24 PM   #5
Banned

OVR: 10
Re: Could a Great Game Elevate a Sport's Status?

All my friends used to hate soccer, until I brought home Winning Eleven 6 from college.

Now they actually enjoy the sport, and one of my friends subscribes to soccer channels.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-25-2008, 12:52 AM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 4

i always loved football since i was little but Madden was what made me like the NFL, basically learned everyones rosters, names, coaches pretty much everything about the NFL in that game.. of coarse i dont think playing a baseball game would make me like it any more than i do, i just dont like baseball, never have. but if it is a sport im somewhat interested in like soccer it would prob convert me.
Old 09-25-2008, 01:19 AM   #7
MVP

bukktown's Arena

OVR: 19

I couldn't care less about hockey until I got hooked on NHL '08. Then I started following the Wild and I started to watch the offensive and defensive strategies of the real NHL and all of a sudden hockey made sense to me and I watched the Stanley Cup playoffs for the 1st time ever.

For me the biggest thing that these games can do is educate. It gives you a virtual experience of the sport. I would probably get into lacrosse or cricket if there was a fun game on the market. Heck I would enjoy Integral Calculus better if there was a fun game about it.
Old 09-25-2008, 01:50 AM   #8
Pro

Zlax45's Arena

OVR: 9
I loved Kings of the Beach for the NES so I think a beach volleyball game would be an excellent addition.

« Operation Sports Forums > The News Desk > Operation Sports Content and Other News »