Home

Sports Games as a Viable Coaching Tool

This is a discussion on Sports Games as a Viable Coaching Tool within the Operation Sports Content and Other News forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > The News Desk > Operation Sports Content and Other News
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-30-2008, 07:48 PM   #1
Executive Editor

RaychelSnr's Arena

OVR: 57
Sports Games as a Viable Coaching Tool

With games becoming more and more complex while also becoming more and more realistic, some coaches have begun to take notice and use the games as a tool to teach their players the finer points of some sports. Christian McLeod takes a look at why the coaches not on board should begin to consider sports games as a viable coaching tool.

Quote:
"After watching Little Giants over the weekend, I couldn’t help but wonder if sports games can indeed be used as viable coaching tools.

For those of you who haven’t seen the movie (shame on you), the story follows a team of misfit 10- and 11-year-olds known as the Giants. The Giants are coached by Danny O’Shea (played by everyone’s favorite '90s funnyman Rick Moranis), who must coach against the city’s powerhouse Pee Wee Team coached by his former NFL star brother Kevin (played by Al Bundy, aka Ed O’Neill)."
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-30-2008, 08:17 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 0
why are we talking about this we need to talk about the 2k9 demo and why is not still out the hell with the little giants
Old 09-30-2008, 09:16 PM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 5
Excellent article Christian. I personally owe a lot of my knowledge of the game of Basketball to media. In my 20 years of playing and coaching the sport I've only had two coaches, the first was when I was in under 12's and the second was early in my senior playing years. Everything else I learnt in my early years in the sport from either reading books, watching games on TV or playing console sports.

I've since gone on to acquire varying levels of coaching qualifications, participated in skill camps etc. but I can't deny that video games have played their role.
Old 09-30-2008, 10:42 PM   #4
#BringBackFaceuary

ChaseB's Arena

OVR: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by bullfan#1
why are we talking about this we need to talk about the 2k9 demo and why is not still out the hell with the little giants
Haha, awesome first comment. +1
Old 09-30-2008, 11:09 PM   #5
Rookie

swetooth9's Arena

OVR: 3
yea, wehre's the nba 2k9 demo????

anyway, i learned pretty much all i know about football from NFL street 1, nfl street 2, madden, and ncaa football 09
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-30-2008, 11:46 PM   #6
ehh
Hall Of Fame

ehh's Arena

OVR: 44
Re: Sports Games as a Viable Coaching Tool

Video games can help you learn some basics of a given sport and give you a better understanding of that sport but I don't believe they're a good coaching tool. Video games only hit the very tip of the iceberg when it comes to team strategy and there is very little to learn in terms of individual fundamentals.

I guess if you have no other means to learn the game it's better than nothing but it pales in comparison to playing the sport, going to camps, getting coaching, reading books, etc.

"Beware of geeks bearing formulas." - Warren Buffet
Old 10-01-2008, 08:23 AM   #7
All Star

OVR: 35
Re: Sports Games as a Viable Coaching Tool

Romeo Crennel needs to play some Madden (or Head Coach) so that he can learn how to manage his timeouts better.

« Operation Sports Forums > The News Desk > Operation Sports Content and Other News »