Home

Sliders: I Don't Get It

This is a discussion on Sliders: I Don't Get It within the Operation Sports Content and Other News forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > The News Desk > Operation Sports Content and Other News
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-20-2008, 12:44 AM   #57
MVP

OVR: 11
Re: Sliders: I Don't Get It

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudyjuly2
Sure, everyone can agree that sliders have let developers get a little lazy at times but there is no way that is the reason sliders are in the game. The reason sliders are in the game is that it is IMPOSSIBLE to please everyone when releasing a game. Everyone has different skill sets, expectations of games, etc. Sliders give gamers the freedom to create a game that they want - whether that's more arcade, more sim, easier, harder, whatever. Sliders have always been about choice and customization. That is the biggest reason BY FAR they were every put into a video game.
this is BY FAR the best explanation I've seen for sliders. Thanks rudyjuly.

Now that I have been edumacated regarding sliders, I do get it. But I also understand where my bias against sliders and confusion originated.

Like I had said. I'm a "sim" gamer, so I don't play Madden I play Head Coach where you don't control the players. And even when I did play Madden I controlled the players as little as possible if given the option when in Franchise mode. I totally understand the need for sliders when you are on the court, field, or ice controlling the player. But in a game like Head Coach, I'm still against sliders. The reason being that the sliders are used in this particular case to effect a final result rather than correct for inadequecies or overabundacne of skills. They are used by the gamers to make defenses tougher or easier, running games more prolific or anemic, and the passing game slop or perfection in order to end up with realistic stats. This is where I am especially sensitive to the efforts of the developers (in a sim not arcade style where you control the player) to release a product that performs out of the box based on NFL statistics. So why have sliders in a case like this?

In other words...I've moved on, I understand the need for sliders in games like Madden, NBA2k and Live, NHL, NASCAR, etc...but why in a sim game like Head Coach where you don't control the players?

Last edited by SloeyEZ; 10-20-2008 at 12:49 AM.
Old 10-20-2008, 12:45 AM   #58
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkgojackets
This is probably the first article I've read in a month or so since the title caught my eye on the forum page and I thought it would be some form of humorous sarcasm or otherwise good reading. My thinking was miserably wrong.

lol dk, nobody likes my humorous sarcastic articles either so you're not missing anything.
Old 10-20-2008, 12:46 AM   #59
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bornindamecca
This is definitely the silliest and least informed article I've read on OS.

NBA 2k developers: "We have the foul slider set low out of the box because a realistic foul setting would alienate many casual gamers."

You don't have to agree with that thinking, but if you don't understand it you probably shouldn't be writing op-eds for a sports gaming site the caliber of OS.

Why not?
Old 10-20-2008, 12:50 AM   #60
Banned

dkgojackets's Arena

OVR: 73

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloeyEZ
lol dk, nobody likes my humorous sarcastic articles either so you're not missing anything.
The best sarcasm is the kind that very very few people get IMO.
Old 10-20-2008, 07:59 AM   #61
Rookie

OVR: 9
Sliders are needed in our sports games...bottom line!!
...but like the other guy was saying, how difficult is it to program the slider to work as it's intended purpose!?
A slider that goes from 0-6 should reflect "real-life" aspects when set to 3!! SIMPLE!! 0 meaning NO SKILL & 6 being SUPERSTAR!!
So...take out the difficulty options & put everything in the sliders!!

Oh & it's good to see that there are a few older guys running around here...I too am over 30!!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-20-2008, 10:25 AM   #62
MVP

OVR: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by countryboy
for me, I rarely, rarely, and I mean rarely use sliders. To me, adjusting sliders means that you are trying to get a "predetermined" outcome thus eliminating the unpredictability of the game. Also, in my opinion, slider adjustments become a never ending, vicious cycle. You are playing the game to see if it "plays correctly" instead of playing the game to, well, play the game.
Good post, cb. You reminded me of why I've always never wanted to touch Sliders. I lost my head this year, beginning with Madden, then NBA 2K9. Madden, there was no saving that game no matter what. But, I never should've felt the need to keep the game after feeling like the default developed game wasn't good enough, anyway. But, 2K9 is a game I like-without any adjustments.
Old 10-20-2008, 10:41 AM   #63
Rookie

OVR: 5
one things for sure ...its beter to have that option than to not have it... it could spoil a game
Old 10-20-2008, 02:55 PM   #64
Marvel's Finest

JBH3's Arena

OVR: 48
Talking Re: Sliders: I Don't Get It

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laettner32
Pish Posh! Flimshaw! I'm 37 and in my day we didn't have no stinking sliders Mr! I would spot the CPU in Ken Griffey Baseball 3 runs and play the game to make it competitive! In Double Dribble...I spotted the CPU 30 points! And you know what? It worked and we liked it! Kids today and their "wahhh!! the rebounding isn't accurate for the CPU!" Fiddlesticks! In the golden years of Madden.. I would only attempt 1 bomb in the 1st half, and no more than 2 in the 2nd! Jiminy Crickets!
Freaking hilarious...!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

« Operation Sports Forums > The News Desk > Operation Sports Content and Other News »