Home

How 2K Can Expand Its Lineup of Games

This is a discussion on How 2K Can Expand Its Lineup of Games within the Operation Sports Content and Other News forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > The News Desk > Operation Sports Content and Other News
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-16-2008, 02:29 AM   #49
All Star

DrJones's Arena

OVR: 20
Re: How 2K Can Expand Its Lineup of Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by spankdatazz22
I think EA/2K are paying more for the NFL/MLB licenses than the respective leagues could make from offering them to multiple licensees so I'd guess in part that's why the situation exists.
Sorry, I didn't see your post. You are correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by slickdtc
DrJones brings the stinky cheese is what we've all learned from this debacle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kipnis22
yes your fantasy world when your proven wrong about 95% of your post
Old 12-16-2008, 11:27 AM   #50
Banned

OVR: 9
I'm not really sure how 3 companies paying the leagues could not bring in more revenue than one.......

And if EA is paying more for the NFL license than it is even worth then........

The fact is that it is the gaming community themselves that is to blame!......If enough people complained to the NFL they would change their tune...Frankly I think that the fallout of this has hurt EA's rep with gamers...And that ain't good!
Old 12-16-2008, 02:07 PM   #51
All Star

DrJones's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7stringking
I'm not really sure how 3 companies paying the leagues could not bring in more revenue than one.......
In the "olden days", the 3 companies paid the NFL/PA a royalty per unit sold, at roughly 10%. Let's say the total football market is about 6 million units. 6 million x $60 x 10% = $36M annually to the NFL. The current EA deal with the NFL pays them between $60M-$70M per year, regardless of units sold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7stringking
If enough people complained to the NFL they would change their tune...
LOL. Now I know you're putting me on.
Quote:
Originally Posted by slickdtc
DrJones brings the stinky cheese is what we've all learned from this debacle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kipnis22
yes your fantasy world when your proven wrong about 95% of your post
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-16-2008, 02:13 PM   #52
Rookie

OVR: 5
I'm still waiting on a high school football game. Think about it...

- No licence necessary because: 1)there would be no need to represent actual schools because, other than the big name football/basketball powers (Dematha, Hoover, Independence, et al), no one really knows many outside of their own region; and 2)the game would be fully customizable in this area anyway--create your own home school district!

- More varied offenses and defenses. College football at the D-1 level is becoming homogeneous and boring, with everyone running some version of the spread or read-option offense. Simulating high school football brings back the wishbone/flexbone/wing offenses that are still prevalent at that level.

- "Franchise Mode" could be simpler... and deeper. No drafts, free agent periods, trades, or recruiting modes, that we all end up either exploiting or creating "house rules" for anyway, would be needed. Each season, you would simply have seniors leaving and freshmen coming in, all with wildly varying levels of skill and aptitude, that you wouldn't get to choose. This would force you to actually craft strategies and schemes to fit the talent, instead of just loading up on 5-stars and all-pros every season. Sure, every now and then, you could have a superstar or two transfer to or away from your program based on its success, but those instances would be appropriately rare. Not having to program draft or trade AI would theoretically allow more time to make each player character deeper-- academic success/failure, personal life affecting athletic life, etc.

- 2 levels of play. The game could have both JV and Varsity levels of simulation, with the JV level serving as sort of a "farm system" for the varsity. JV games could be playable, where you could take a hands-on approach to evaluating rising talent, or simulated separately, generating real stats for those same players.

Of course, these are just a few ideas... the possiblities would be limitless. I honestly can't think of any good reasons as to why a game like this couldn't be successful.
Old 12-16-2008, 06:27 PM   #53
MVP

elgreazy1's Arena

OVR: 28
Exclusive rights ARE killing sports gaming, but there's nothing gamers can do about it now that gaming is strictly business. Here's what T2/2K need to do:

BETTER MARKETING!!!!! Marketing is HORRIBLE for this company. You rarely see posters, commercials, magazine ads, nothing. I understand 2K goes with it's hardcore supporters but that's not enough now, they need to reach to the mainstream. There is no way they can put in as much finances into marketing as EA (who are all hype, no substance), but they can at least make an attempt to put something out there.

APF - A new game that is fully customizable in every way: players, equipment, teams, logos, stadiums, colors, names, etc. Clean up the gameplay & polish to ESPN NFL 2K5 standards. Take advantage of 2K's amazing online league & website stat tracking and allow users commissioner-like usage to create distinct leagues, tournaments, etc. The Legends, well, take'em or leave'em but dropping them allows for more money to be used on development.

College Hoops - Why not? Great game that uses the same amazing game engine as NBA 2K

Soccer - American's hate soccer, okay, but this give 2K the opportunity to dwelve into the overseas sports markets and then they can begin funneling all their other sports games through it. (ie: APF would work seeing as there are no real teams, non-americans wouldn't care less)

Rugby - Same as soccer: global appeal, but unlike soccer, American's would probably pick this up becuase it's such a brutal & physical sport.
Old 12-16-2008, 11:32 PM   #54
Rookie

OVR: 5

dude,
nobody would play another soccer game cuz FIFA rules dude nobody plays another else!
Old 12-17-2008, 10:44 PM   #55
MVP

elgreazy1's Arena

OVR: 28

Pro Evolution Soccer sells more worldwide than FIFA
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-18-2008, 01:23 AM   #56
Rookie

OVR: 1
The MLB and NFL's game market volume is almost fixed in a long term. So the profits for these will be fixed, too. If developers need more money to pay for the exclusive rights, they have low finance level for the development.
Because the Sports Organizations have initiative in negotiation. But we can't blame the officials of MLB and NFL. The risks and benifits are both huge in game industry. No developers can show the fixed rate of return to the offericals. All the finance for game developing decided by the market and the decision - maker.
However, may be they have more methods to solve the problem, such as more IGAs, TVOLS, and the officials can give more rights to game developers to make the game more realistically.

« Operation Sports Forums > The News Desk > Operation Sports Content and Other News »