Home

The Importance of Immersion: First-Person Modes

This is a discussion on The Importance of Immersion: First-Person Modes within the Operation Sports Content and Other News forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > The News Desk > Operation Sports Content and Other News
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-26-2009, 01:27 PM   #1
Executive Editor

RaychelSnr's Arena

OVR: 57
The Importance of Immersion: First-Person Modes

Each year, developers attempt to persuade consumers to buy their products by announcing additions to their games that will supposedly make them as realistic and immersive as possible. Along with the developers' push for increased realism and immersion, many consumers discuss how realistically a sport will be presented if a certain hypothetical feature is added to a game. It has become routine to expect at least one new addition to the most recent version of a sports game, with each new feature promising to make the sport as lifelike as possible.

Due to this desire to immerse the player in the game, and also to create a believable representation of a certain sport, it seems strange that more companies have not attempted to include a first-person perspective in their games. While better artificial intelligence in a football game or being able to turn a seamless double play in a baseball game certainly makes a game appear more realistic, it seems likely that a first-person view for users would allow players to completely lose themselves in the video game they are playing.

Read More - The Importance of Immersion: First-Person Modes
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-26-2009, 02:48 PM   #2
Banned

OVR: 9
FPF was great..2k made a big mistake not bringing it back for AP2k8...

Both the BAP modes in NHL09 and FIFA09 are outstanding.
Old 01-26-2009, 03:20 PM   #3
Cade Cunningham

rudyjuly2's Arena

OVR: 75
I don't like first person shooters. Personally I like my camera angles zoomed out farther so I can see more things. It might not be realistic but it's what I prefer. I think most people prefer a third person view when sports gaming. To each his own. It would be a great option but it would also require a lot of time for a developer to do it right. Will they commit the resources necessary to do this if it won't increase sales?
Old 01-26-2009, 03:30 PM   #4
Rookie

Trini G1aDiaToR's Arena

OVR: 5
I disagree... First Person camera make me feel less immersed, not more. The problem with them is that you have no awareness of your player's limbs. In real life you're aware of your body and limbs... First person makes me feel like a floating head.

Personally I think 3rd person cameras come closest to giving a sense of realism despite the fact that you're seeing your character's whole body from behind usually... that awareness of a character's limbs makes a bit difference for me!
Old 01-26-2009, 04:58 PM   #5
#BringBackFaceuary

ChaseB's Arena

OVR: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trini G1aDiaToR
I disagree... First Person camera make me feel less immersed, not more. The problem with them is that you have no awareness of your player's limbs. In real life you're aware of your body and limbs... First person makes me feel like a floating head.

Personally I think 3rd person cameras come closest to giving a sense of realism despite the fact that you're seeing your character's whole body from behind usually... that awareness of a character's limbs makes a bit difference for me!
What about a Mirror's Edge-like first-person view?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-26-2009, 05:42 PM   #6
Hall of Fame

JohnDoe8865's Arena

OVR: 59
Re: The Importance of Immersion: First-Person Modes

When I play a sports game, I want to see it like I see it on TV. I never see the game on TV through the players eyes, so for me, to make it more immersive, I need all of the little things that I see and hear when I'm watching a game on TV.

NFL - Carolina Panthers
NBA - Charlotte Hornets
MLB - Cincinnati Reds
College Basketball - Wake Forest
NCAA Football - Appalachian State
Old 01-26-2009, 06:19 PM   #7
Banned

OVR: 17
I like the the idea of having the 'option' to play with a special FPS camera in my sports ...But to have the game completelyt designed from the ground up in FPS mode I would have to pass for the same reasons I dont want my RTS games to be in FPS. The sad reality is that it just wouldnt be satisfying enough until we have reached a much more mature state of physics, increased range of movement and overall limiteless variablity. Its one thing to have to repeatedly endure repetive Motion capture animations from a Bird's eye view then having to see it full blown in a First Person Perspective...The only thing that keeps coming to mind when I think this is an old Activision(?) Football game on the PC that attempted this with a visual que on the screen that told you which direction to run then turn..arrrgh

Besides, there's a certain level of satisfication and enjoyment one gets from seeing the entire field of players from far above...Sort of a general's tactical sense of seeing and being in control of all the action from afar. This is a sensation that I dont think I would want to remove from my video games whether they are sports or RTS games. FPS games have their place too...im just not sure if I would be satisified with them serving a role in sports games today with the current limits imposed by technology

Im the type of player that looks for the most zoomed back camera views when I play my sports games anways....Seeing Madden any closer up would have adverse effects for me!
Old 01-26-2009, 06:37 PM   #8
87%

ty5oke's Arena

OVR: 25
The first-person view is definitely a different way to play a sports video game, but I personally am not a fan. I prefer to see the whole court/field and not be limited with a first-persons view.

I do see it becoming more and more popular though, I just hope the developers continue to bring the classic representation of the game ala the Show's Franchise/Career mode. I hope the games don't become strictly First-Person.

« Operation Sports Forums > The News Desk > Operation Sports Content and Other News »