Home

Snapping the Sports-Gamer Stereotypes

This is a discussion on Snapping the Sports-Gamer Stereotypes within the Operation Sports Content and Other News forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > The News Desk > Operation Sports Content and Other News
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-13-2009, 09:25 AM   #1
Executive Editor

RaychelSnr's Arena

OVR: 57
Snapping the Sports-Gamer Stereotypes

"My daughter’s fiancé is worthless. All he does is play Madden all day."

These words escaped the mouth of a fellow airline passenger on a flight from Long Island to Philadelphia a few weeks ago. He was not speaking to me of course, I am not the chatty-type when flying. Nevertheless, I was a little offended by his statement.

Perhaps I should not have been offended since the fiancé could very well be worthless in ways that do not relate to sports video games. Maybe he does not have a job, or maybe he does not take proper care of the man’s daughter. Still, I could not ignore the connotation when he mentioned EA Sports’ hallowed football franchise.

Cut to another scene. I am in my company’s main office conversing with a co-worker over lunch. As the conversation steered towards sports, I happened to mention my affiliation with Operation Sports, and my love for sports gaming. My co-worker gave me a funny look. "What, are you some kind of gaming nerd or something?" He still jibes me to this day.

Read More - Snapping the Sports-Gamer Stereotypes
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-13-2009, 10:30 AM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 7
Agreed.. I hate that!! Its a hobby, just like any other.. and if you dont undertand that.. oh well.. I do sports gaming to relax.. to get away.. i enjoy it.. and my LAST gurlfriend made me choose.. and now im single again.. lmao!! now i can get that 73 inch 1080p monster tv... SWEEEEEET!!!
Old 03-13-2009, 12:06 PM   #3
MVP

jsquigg's Arena

OVR: 16
Just face it, we are all nerds. It's not enough that we play sports games, we go online to our "support group" at OSN to adjust to the right sliders and gain advice on how to be a better sports gamer. We are stereotyped, but there are more important things to worry about, like how can I find the right sliders to make NBA 2k play like real life?
Old 03-13-2009, 12:11 PM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 4
I agree with this article. I just really don't think the stero-type is all the present anymore. I recently read an artcile on espn.com, about NBA All-Star Weekend. The article stated that the hobby for almost every All-Star was video games. Kevin Durant and Dereke Rose burned out the PS3 there playing the show. Nate Robinson has a COD clan and does a miltary salute to them in some games. So nerds......no way.

Successful people play games. I'm 25, I went to college, have a 4 year degree, have a good job, I work out 3-4 times a week. Am engaged to a beautiful girl. No nerd here. I LOVE SPORTS GAMES. I find time to play whenever I can, so ususally my game sessions are at the end of the night and on week-ends. My freinds all play games too, and for the most part are very successful as well. There are worse things that you could do with free time that could be way more harmful. Play games is a harmless passtime.

I think the generation gap is the biggest reason for that perception. When I was younger, I played Tecmo Bowl for Nintendo with my Dad. Also played Madden 94 and NHL 94 with my Dad. However when the games got to the Playstation level my Dad threw in the towel, things were getting to complicated in his mind, and I never played him on PS1.

I will continue to play sports games for the foreseeable future. Why not?
Old 03-13-2009, 01:29 PM   #5
MVP

bh446066's Arena

OVR: 26
Re: Snapping the Sports-Gamer Stereotypes

In a time that discretionary income is shrinking for most people, these video games are a very good return on the dollar for entertainment. I would think that most of us in this community get our gaming time in when all other responsibilities have been met. In other words, you get up, go to work, go to the gym, go home, cook dinner, have some family time, put the kid/s to bed, visit with the wife/whatever with the wife (wink wink), then get the gaming in later in the night. Well, at least that's me.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-13-2009, 02:29 PM   #6
Banned

OVR: 16
im 29 and an AVID sports gamer & fan

like i tell my wife......

i have a hobby and it KEEPS ME HOME.

i could go out with the rest of the nobodies and drink till 4am but i like staying home and enjoying my hobby.

it doesnt hurt that my other hobby is electronics and that keeps me home.

dont mind the 'outside world' or for that fact what anyone else thinks of you. when i go home its all about my wife & kids.
after those respnsibilities are done, i game!

if that lady on the airplane has her issues, so be it.
you could complain to any of yout boys about yout girls 'home habits' too.

turn off the soaps and cook me dinner, woman! RAWR

NOW if youre a bum and have no job and your entire existence is gaming & posting in forums, then YES you are a loser.

get up get out and do something.
i dont think some poeople know the sky is still blue....lol
Old 03-13-2009, 04:08 PM   #7
MVP

Mjphillips's Arena

OVR: 10
Great article. People look at me funny when i say that i love video games, but I don't care. I love my sports video games. I get the same look when i say that i love baseball over all other sports so i am used to it by now.
Old 03-13-2009, 04:37 PM   #8
Rookie

phootball's Arena

OVR: 3
I never even gave it a second thought. It's simply fun to play.

I remember when I was a little kid I used to play Earl Weaver Baseball. I hated baseball but I loved that game. I wrote a letter to EA and asked them to please make a football version of that game, I even suggested the name, Tom Landry Football.

Eventually, Madden came out, I'm sure without any connection to my letter. But still, I cared enough to write a letter. It was fun to play those games.

Now after all these years, college, grad school, job, home, wife, baby, it's still fun. And I still like to make suggestions to EA or whoever else happens to be listening. Its fun to play. That's all that matters.

Good article.

« Operation Sports Forums > The News Desk > Operation Sports Content and Other News »