Home

OS Fact or Fiction: UFC vs. Fight Night Edition

This is a discussion on OS Fact or Fiction: UFC vs. Fight Night Edition within the Operation Sports Content forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > The News Desk > Operation Sports Content
FIFA 19 Review
NHL 19 Review
NBA 2K19 Review

Old 05-12-2009, 08:18 PM   #9
Hall Of Fame

DTX3's Arena

OVR: 56
Re: OS Fact or Fiction: UFC vs. Fight Night Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by acarrero
Fight Night should be the better game. First, it has better athletes than Undisputed. You just can't compare a game with athletes like Ali, Tyson, and Frazier, Pacquiao, Cotto to one with Spider Silva, and whoever else is good in MMA. Obviously I'm not a big MMA fan, but lets face it, it's not the big leagues of fighting - the real money and the really good athletes are in boxing. The tradition also counts for something.

That being said, MVP 06: NCAA Baseball was a better baseball game than any MLB game released that year despite inferior athletes being featured, so Undisputed could be the better video game. I just think with the amount of time and money EA has spent on Fight Night, plus all the intangibles that boxing has over a new sport like MMA, it's expected that Fight Night will be the bigger, better game. But I must admit I'm intrigued by the MMA demo. I might just download it. Even people who don't like MMA are raving about it, so this is certainly a good question you bring up. It's possible MMA lends itself better to video games than boxing, but that's hard to believe considering the rules of each sport and how MMA features both wrestling and boxing.
I find it hilarious that someone who isn't even an MMA fan could come up with such a ignorant post. I'll leave it at that.
Old 05-12-2009, 08:31 PM   #10
Banned

OVR: 19
2K is still light-years ahead of EA when it comes to basketball games. I agree that College Hoops 2K was a crushing blow for me. I also agree that 2K botched the 2K Team theme and everything else that had to do with online. They came out of the gate and removed the cheesy 2K Cam for online play because they were going to focus on sim play in the online communiites, but they didn't have the guts to stand up to the majority of online players, which are cheesy-plug pulling quitters. They dont punish these quitters appropriately. So, the online ranked games or 2K Team theme is a joke. 2K fails in every way possible online, but they are still lightyears ahead of EA when it comes to basketball games. EA has still not got the lighting correct.
Old 05-12-2009, 08:36 PM   #11
Banned

OVR: 19
By the way, EA hardly ever improves on there titles, that's why 2K took the industry by storm and forced them to use their best asset, pure hard cash to buy exclusive licenses which has hurt us as gamers. Nonetheless; as long as NCAA Football 10 is decent I will be buying because its the only College Football game on the market and it has a decent online following. I will give EA props for punish cheaters and quitters a lot better than 2K.

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-13-2009, 12:19 AM   #12
Live your life

Gotmadskillzson's Arena

OVR: 49

Boxing has been on a decline for a decade now. And EA has been making boxing games for about 10 years or more now. It takes more then just legends to make a game great. I mean seriously I have been playing EA boxing games for years and I am at the point now that I am tired of playing as people who don't even fight anymore.

UFC on the other hand, for THQ 1st MMA game, they have knocked it of the park with 82 fighters that are STILL FIGHTING. They all might not be in the UFC currently anymore, but they are ACTIVE. And the commentary is top notch. Makes you feel like your watching a PPV.

NCAA 10 will sell simplely because they are the ONLY college football game out there. Same reason why Madden sells, they the only game in town. Give EA competition and they will fall back like they always do.

To be honest, I think it is a sad reality of your so called greatness for EA, when you still have thousands of people who still play ESPN NFL 2K5 on their Xbox 360 or PS3 with updated rosters then play Madden 09.
Old 05-13-2009, 12:29 AM   #13
#BringBackFaceuary

ChaseB's Arena

OVR: 40
Since I'm not a fan of boxing or UFC, the thing that throws me off is why does it even matter in this sense? What does having "better athletes" have to do with the quality of the game?
Old 05-13-2009, 12:43 AM   #14
Live your life

Gotmadskillzson's Arena

OVR: 49

That whole better atheletes came from boxing purist on HBO that dismissed MMA fighters as bar room brawlers. And said that being in MMA don't take no skill at all and that it will never over take boxing in anything. Not in Las Vegas, not in sales, not in ratings or fan base.

Years later, oh how wrong they were. Change has come and it has come in the form of UFC under Zuffa.
Old 05-13-2009, 01:20 AM   #15
Pro

OVR: 16
MMA is rising up through a perfect storm of events in society and circumstances. Currently there's no big names in the heavyweight division. There hasn't been anyone marketable for far too long now. Boxing is suffering because of it. Additionally, MMA has been picking up a lot of steam, starting many years ago. It's the perfect time for MMA to explode.

Boxing is down, no matter how much history and talent there has been in the sport previously. Also, I think MMA is taking advantage of our society becoming slightly desensitized to violence. If they tried this 20 years ago, they wouldn't have stood a chance to make it. We definitely wouldn't be seeing a MMA video game, at least not one that is as deep and enjoyable to play as UFC Undisputed. Society certainly wasn't ready for it back then, as a little over decade ago the UFC was turned underground by government restrictions. Not to mention, a person named Tyson at the time wouldn't allow for a sport like that to rise up. He had all the attention.

Also, MMA fans, don't jump on people's cases too hard for calling it a bunch of bar fights in a cage. If you research your sport enough, you'll quickly see that the UFC was marketed as just that when it first started. It wasn't until they implemented rules that it became more of a strategic sport. Prior to that, it really was a brutal, bloody, unbalanced at times (big fighters vs small), human cockfighting going on in the cage. In fact, groin shots, hair pulling, and fish hooking were still around until UFC 14. If it weren't for the sport being banned in many places, they'd probably still have all of those aspects in the sport. It was a reluctant change they made, in an effort to keep the sport going. It's hard to wipe that image off, so I don't blame people for thinking that way still.

It's the perfect time for MMA to rise, and boxing purists will have to accept it. Let's just be thankful it's a big enough sport now to warrant an incredible video game to go along with what looks to be a great boxing video game.

Last edited by Acedeck; 05-13-2009 at 01:28 AM.
Old 05-13-2009, 05:30 PM   #16
Rookie

OVR: 5
eh...my opinion is i 'd only dig ufc video games ....but i dont really dig it that much in real life..

but i love boxing a whole lot..... both are good sports but my pref is boxing...

it dosent matter whether athelete are still fighting or not......alll of theose guys have lft legacies behind them...Ali by himself is reason enough to check FN4...they seem to really step up the realsim this year.

and UFC cant go back a hundred years yet ....so there is no legends that can compare to many boxing greats...

im not taking away anything form MMA fighters....they have opened the realm of fighting in a different way...its all in one...but theres no sweet science...... its just who's quicker to the move......iMO

this is not a bash btw.......

Fn4 and ufc will be in my house ...regardless

« Operation Sports Forums > The News Desk > Operation Sports Content »