Home

Win, Place, or Show: How to make a Horse Racing Game Work Today

This is a discussion on Win, Place, or Show: How to make a Horse Racing Game Work Today within the Operation Sports Content and Other News forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > The News Desk > Operation Sports Content and Other News
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-14-2009, 12:36 PM   #1
Executive Editor

RaychelSnr's Arena

OVR: 57
Win, Place, or Show: How to make a Horse Racing Game Work Today

The sport of kings has never transitioned well to video games. I remember playing Derby Owners Club a few years ago. It was an arcade game from Sega that came out in 2002. You pressed buttons and watched horse races. Does that sound fun? (No, is the correct answer.)

There was also Breeders’ Cup World Thoroughbred for Xbox and PS2. It was an also-ran released in 2005. I also cannot forget about the Barbie horse games that come out every few years.

For whatever reason, horses get a bad rap in video games. For something as popular as horse racing, there has to be a way to fix this.

Read More - Win, Place, or Show: How to make a Horse Racing Game Work Today
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-14-2009, 01:27 PM   #2
MVP

OVR: 31
Is horse racing really that popular among the video-gaming crowd, though?
Old 05-14-2009, 01:43 PM   #3
MVP

sb24's Arena

OVR: 28
Re: Win, Place, or Show: How to make a Horse Racing Game Work Today

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfunk880
Is horse racing really that popular among the video-gaming crowd, though?
Doubtful, but iv learned not to be shocked at what some people do.
Old 05-14-2009, 02:03 PM   #4
Rookie

redman1's Arena

OVR: 3
Sounds like your almost talking about G1 Jockey. Although no controls to be a trainer in G1 Jockey and u just do track work to improve your horses in various stables and ride races..

G1 Jockey 4 is in the Shops in Australia on PS3 and Wii not sure for the US.

Japanese game i might add
Old 05-14-2009, 03:51 PM   #5
Rookie

ajaxab's Arena

OVR: 6
Gallop Racer 2004 for the PS2 was a great horse racing game. It was something of a pseudo-RPG where you played a jockey who had to decide which horses to race. You could eventually buy your own horses, ride them and breed them in hopes of having created a Horse of the Year. I would love to see an updated version for this generation of consoles.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-14-2009, 04:13 PM   #6
MVP

therizing02's Arena

OVR: 20
Being a long time player in the game, I would love to see a horse racing video game.

The key for a game to work would lie in a career mode as either a trainer, owner, or jockey. The depth in any career mode in a horse racing video game would be unmatched. This is just a sample of what could be available.

Hypothetically, you would be able to choose one at the beginning of your career.

Jockey

As a jockey you would start out as young apprentice probably around 17 or 18 years old. All apprentice jockeys are given a weight allowance(5-10lbs)when they ride in races because of their inexperience. This allowance helps, but the younger jockeys are usually placed on slower horses that are running for the smallest purses.

You would be responsible for hiring an agent, controlling your weight and working your way from the lowest level claiming races at the smaller tracks to any of the triple crown races or Breeder's Cup at tracks like Belmont, Del Mar, Churchill, and Saratoga. If there was a good way to implement/simulate the riding of a horse that could be very entertaining because there is a ton of skill and strength that you need to be a winning jockey. Is the horse you're riding a closer or need the lead type? Is he sprinter or a router? Maybe he races differently on different surfaces.

Trainer/Owner

As a trainer you would be responsible for working directly with owners to allow you to train their horses. Some owners buy million dollar horses at public auctions at Keeneland and Ocala, and others buy horses for as low as $2500. There are many stories that have been told over the years about "cheap" horses winning big races. Mine That Bird was purchased for $9500!

When to work out horses, what surface to run them on, what distance to run them at, and at what class level to run at are all decisions made by trainers of horses. Sometimes they collaborate with the owner and sometimes not.

All horses start out as Maidens. Until a horse wins a race he/she is known as a maiden. Maidens run against maidens until they win. At that point the trainer/owner decides on whether or not the horse should run a claiming race, allowance, or Stakes Races.

Horse racing as a sport/game is struggling right now. Attendance at tracks is down as are purses and racing fields. I would love to see an in depth career mode type of horse racing game. I think it would bring some much needed new blood into the game.
Old 05-14-2009, 04:20 PM   #7
Rookie

GrandMaster B's Arena

OVR: 15
There should be a next-gen bowling game before anyone considers a horse racing game.
Old 05-14-2009, 08:20 PM   #8
MVP

OVR: 18
Most of the people who even care about Horse racing are either compulsive gamblers and/or old people. I don't the market is there for a video game.

« Operation Sports Forums > The News Desk > Operation Sports Content and Other News »