Home

What Will Sports Games be Like in a Decade?

This is a discussion on What Will Sports Games be Like in a Decade? within the Operation Sports Content and Other News forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > The News Desk > Operation Sports Content and Other News
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-06-2009, 02:04 PM   #1
Executive Editor

RaychelSnr's Arena

OVR: 57
What Will Sports Games be Like in a Decade?

Ten years ago, EA Sports was creating baseball games, though still under the Triple Play name, FIFA 99 had just been released on the Nintendo 64, and the Sega Dreamcast was set to be released in the United States in four months. Obviously, a lot has changed in the 10 years since these events took place. Knowing this, what will the sports-gaming market look like in another 10 years?

Though I do not own a crystal ball, by looking at past changes in sports gaming and some of the more successful trends in the industry today, I feel comfortable prophesying where the sports-gaming world may be in another decade. I have narrowed the potential list of changes down to five select items which will show the most improvement in the coming decade.

Read More - What Will Sports Games be Like in a Decade?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-06-2009, 02:44 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 3
Great article Jack. This is something I think about often. I can't wait to find out. A virtual reality baseball game of some sort is what I am hoping for. I just want to play OTP playing my position: First Base
Old 05-06-2009, 02:51 PM   #3
MVP

OVR: 22
what about actual gameplay changes? we've gone from canned behaviors for a fumble, missed shot, or a deflection off a foot, to physic engines for all sports now

in 10 years I see mo-cap animations as being merely guidelines for "endorphin" like players. There may be a mo-capped 1 hand dunk, but if Lebron is too close or too far away from the hoop, the game can automatically calculate the change needed to get his hand on the rim, or miss it if the user doesnt change the shot.

this kind of stuff is already happening with madden's tackling and procedural awareness animation techs, but i could see in a few years the changeover from those techs being cosmetic "oh cool, he actually saw the ball" moments to game changing and defining as the AI gets tweaked for it.
Old 05-06-2009, 03:46 PM   #4
Banned

OVR: 38
Its scary to think how amazing games will be in the next 10 years
Old 05-06-2009, 05:46 PM   #5
Banned

OVR: 89
I think the graphics will peak and plato... Nintendo already believes this thats why they went the way they did with the Wii.

I think instead of looking back at games and saying aww the graphics is going to be more look awww the gameplay is sooo bad. And features of the future is the one that can mind boggle....
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-06-2009, 08:16 PM   #6
MVP

statum71's Arena

OVR: 61
Looking at the progress from 10 years ago...its actually scary to think about how far this can go.

Scary in a good way that is.
Old 05-06-2009, 08:26 PM   #7
MVP

onlybygrace's Arena

OVR: 32
Part of me things there has to be a cap on what is possible with these games.

Like next gen made the graphics better, the gameplay often lagged behind for a bit as a result.

I think we will see the same cycle repeat itself.
Old 05-06-2009, 08:51 PM   #8
Executive Editor

RaychelSnr's Arena

OVR: 57
The thing you have to consider is the more realistic games become, the tougher it becomes to code good gameplay. Basically, if you want a game to look 10x better, it's going to take a lot more than that in coding to make sure you cover all the new possibilities that open up. To me, it's not surprising that games have taken so long to catch up with the visual enhancements with similar leaps in gameplay this generation. So yeah, I think the same process will end up happening again in 2013 or so if the hardware leaps are big enough.

« Operation Sports Forums > The News Desk > Operation Sports Content and Other News »