Home

OS Awards: Individual-Based Game of the Year

This is a discussion on OS Awards: Individual-Based Game of the Year within the Operation Sports Content and Other News forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > The News Desk > Operation Sports Content and Other News
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-31-2009, 03:09 PM   #1
Executive Editor

RaychelSnr's Arena

OVR: 57
OS Awards: Individual-Based Game of the Year

Traditionally, Operation Sports has handed out awards based upon individual sports such as golf, fighting games, baseball, basketball, etc. However, given the continual decline in the number of options available in the sports gaming marketplace, we have combined several categories into two separate categories: team-based and individual-based games of the year.

This year's Individual Game of the Year could also be called our rookie of the year since it was a debuting new series. UFC Undisputed 2009 was not only crowned champion over its closest rival, Fight Night Round 4, but it also claimed the championship in very convincing fashion. Simply put, UFC Undisputed 2009 is a lot like the UFC: When MMA video gaming appeared all but dead, UFC 2009 Undisputed came in and stole the show, and now it is one of the biggest names in sports gaming. We cannot wait to see what is in store for next year's title.

Read More - OS Awards: Individual-Based Game of the Year
Platform: Xbox 360 / PS3
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-31-2009, 06:48 PM   #2
Banned

OVR: 19
I went home for Xmas and found myself playing the PS2 and Dreamcast offerings of UFC and Ultimate Fighting and really enjoyed them. It is different to play against another human because they will most likely find something that works and do it over and over and over, but that is where you begin to get really intrigued by the game and strategy and so forth. I still like some aspects of FN R4 more than any MMA type offering namely the fact that it will not be a yearly offering makes it valuable IMO.
Old 01-01-2010, 05:32 AM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 7
Only played the demo of UFC. It was good, but Fight Night 4 is more my style. Look forward to the new UFC in 2010 though. Never played Punch Out, so no comment there.

Fight Night R4 was what I had been hoping for. I always loved the analog controls and after the patches and DLC, I have been very happy with it. Love the sim aspect to it.

Tiger Woods 10 on the 360 this year was great with the new course textures, but I enjoyed the gameplay more in 09. Plus I didnt have to spend a small fortune on my favorite courses with DLC. The new rain aspects were cool, but got old fast. I would rather see dynamic lighting over a round, like we used to have on the PC versions. I never did buy Tiger 10 because of the DLC reeming, but I continue to play Tiger 09 with all the courses.

I played the Wii Tiger 10 too and it was very well done with the controls, but I missed the eye candy of the 360.
Old 01-03-2010, 10:30 PM   #4
MVP

OVR: 41
Skate 2 for underrated game of the year. Being released in mid-January certainly didn't help, but I would have liked to see it somewhere to show the breadth of sports games that 2009 offered.

« Operation Sports Forums > The News Desk > Operation Sports Content and Other News »