Home

Should We Compare Console Games to Text-Sims?

This is a discussion on Should We Compare Console Games to Text-Sims? within the Operation Sports Content and Other News forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > The News Desk > Operation Sports Content and Other News
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-13-2010, 11:56 AM   #1
Executive Editor

RaychelSnr's Arena

OVR: 57
Should We Compare Console Games to Text-Sims?

Two months ago I wrote a piece titled "Does MLB 10: The Show Belong in the Text-Sim Hall of Fame?" There were 33 reader comments about the piece and only one was somewhat positive. The other 32 commenters wondered why Operation Sports would bother publishing something so silly.

I stand behind the content of the piece, but I would like a mulligan on the headline. Obviously, The Show does not belong in the text-sim hall of fame. My main goal was to compare The Show to other text sims and see how it stacked up. Instead of giving the piece a generic title like "How Does the Show Compare to a Text Sim?" I wanted to make it a little a more interesting. I put text-sim hall of fame in the headline thinking it would get a reaction. It did.

Read More - Should we compare console games to text sims?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-13-2010, 12:21 PM   #2
Pro

OVR: 10
i would love for the depth of my main game madden to be at the level of a text sim. Not including the RPG aspect of NFL HC 09, how close to a text sim was Head Coach 09?
Old 05-13-2010, 02:32 PM   #3
MVP

boxboy99's Arena

OVR: 23
Right on, good read. 100 percent agree.
Old 05-13-2010, 03:26 PM   #4
MVP

OVR: 13
I agree with Adam completely. There is no reason console developers, with their available resources, cannot do a better job of adding elements which were designed and implemented by one-person text sims.
Old 05-13-2010, 06:58 PM   #5
MVP

OVR: 39
yes, they should be compared because fans want gameplay depth, options, and everything else that a text-sim has to offer. Many of sport gamers are huge fans of a sport that a gaming company is trying to portray in a game.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-13-2010, 08:46 PM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 3
I also liked your piece. Its my dream to have the depth of OTTP with the graphics, presentation of MLB. Or the gameplay of FIFA with the soccer world of football manager. I know it can be done, I just dont know why; the market would be there.
Old 05-14-2010, 08:02 PM   #7
Pro

blackscorpion11's Arena

OVR: 13
Console gamers don't want sim style play..Sim play is more difficult, console gamers want over the top, cartoon sports..

Is it possible to blend the two? YES, I just think most gamers don't want it.
Old 05-15-2010, 03:07 AM   #8
MVP

OVR: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackscorpion11
Console gamers don't want sim style play..Sim play is more difficult, console gamers want over the top, cartoon sports..

Is it possible to blend the two? YES, I just think most gamers don't want it.
Oh, they want...they want it big time. I did a survey a couple of months ago and it seems like many gamers want this. Even if it's an option fans will be into it. !0 and 13 year olds don't make up the sports gaming demographic.

« Operation Sports Forums > The News Desk > Operation Sports Content and Other News »