Home

No Graphics Needed: Changing the Tune

This is a discussion on No Graphics Needed: Changing the Tune within the Operation Sports Content and Other News forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > The News Desk > Operation Sports Content and Other News
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-14-2010, 12:12 PM   #1
Executive Editor

RaychelSnr's Arena

OVR: 57
No Graphics Needed: Changing the Tune

There is a moment in life where you know what you want to be. For some, it happens on the football field or the basketball court. For others, it happens in college or high school. For me, it was when I received the best gift a five-year-old kid could dream of: a Nintendo Entertainment System. Shooting ducks, running the 100 meters and stomping on turtles were some of the most amazing sights I had experienced at that point in my life. It was on that day that I wanted to learn how to make these games.

As I grew up, I learned more and more about computers and started to tinker around with them. When I was a freshman in high school, I became a programmer. And the first day I began programming was the day I realized my dream could become a reality.

Read More - No Graphics Needed: Changing the Tune
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-14-2010, 12:27 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 3
Graphics killed RPGs. NES & SNES still have the best.
Old 07-14-2010, 01:10 PM   #3
Banned

OVR: 10
Disagree,, people let Nsstalga to cloud their judgement, it's human nature. To say NEs and SNES had the best RPG's is quite laughable, when you compare their simplicity and them being more action adventure then RPG. Now you have complex branching stories, that change depending how you play, very immersive, complex and deep combat, huge worlds, etc... Games are as good as they ever were, with the exception of the dominance of publishers and overhpyed franchises (COD cough).
Old 07-14-2010, 02:20 PM   #4
MVP

Kaanyr Vhok's Arena

OVR: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShowRocks
Disagree,, people let Nsstalga to cloud their judgement, it's human nature. To say NEs and SNES had the best RPG's is quite laughable, when you compare their simplicity and them being more action adventure then RPG. Now you have complex branching stories, that change depending how you play, very immersive, complex and deep combat, huge worlds, etc... Games are as good as they ever were, with the exception of the dominance of publishers and overhpyed franchises (COD cough).
Pool of Radiance on the Commodore 64 is still my favorite RPG. It had better combat than any console RPG until maybe Shenmue, which is the king of action RPGs. The story is the still the best I have ever seen.
Old 07-14-2010, 02:49 PM   #5
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 38
More complex =/= Better.

Madden 10 is a lot more complex than a simple game like Tecmo Super Bowl, but that doesn't automatically make Madden 10 more fun to play; in fact, I think a lot of people would much rather play Tecmo Bowl than Madden 10.

It's not a matter of nostalgia, it's just that they'd rather play a game that does simple things well over a game that handles complex things poorly.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-14-2010, 02:54 PM   #6
Titans Era has begun.

HealyMonster's Arena

OVR: 31
I dont understand saying "I am a programmer" and therefore I know "programmers are not lazy". Thats like me saying I was in the Army therefore i know everyone in the Army is "a good person". I understand the concept behind what you are trying to bring to light, I just think there is much more for you to talk about outside of individual criticism. You should start off by talking about your job and your career which, in turn would automatically open peoples eyes. To attack specific criticism will get you nowhere and to make assumptions of an entire career field based on your own work ethic is a bit "out there". I appreciate what you are trying to do and I look forward to your next article, I would suggest a different angle though. Good Luck!
Old 07-14-2010, 06:49 PM   #7
MVP

stlstudios189's Arena

OVR: 41
I think that these games are getting too complex for themselves. Whenever things get more steps in the process that don't help the process it can get messy. Look back to 1989 games were getting big but, there was no huge marketing dept., no internet, no set release dates, or development cycles. now these sports games have cover athletes, millions of $$ are spent on ads, and investors want as much profit as possible.
Old 07-15-2010, 07:31 AM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShowRocks
The games i played on NES & SNES weren't more action RPG. I'm talking true turnbased RPGs. They were plenty complex & weren't filled with bugs either. I still think Dragon Warrior IV on NES is the greatest RPG.

« Operation Sports Forums > The News Desk > Operation Sports Content and Other News »