Home

No Graphics Needed: The Process

This is a discussion on No Graphics Needed: The Process within the Operation Sports Content and Other News forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > The News Desk > Operation Sports Content and Other News
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-21-2010, 11:45 AM   #1
Executive Editor

RaychelSnr's Arena

OVR: 57
No Graphics Needed: The Process

Let me preface this article with a huge disclaimer. I do not know the methodology EA Sports or any other video game company uses to turn out large-scale video games. This is all an educated guess and a hypothetical situation.

Now that we have that out of the way, let me take a look behind the curtain and imagine how the development process works.

Let's start, of course, right after the previous version of Sports Title X has come out. In this case, let's call it Snider Football 11, which is created by Snidersoft. We are now a couple weeks removed from the release of the game, and it's time to start working on the next version. Part of the team will work on the patch(es) for the previous release and come back to working on the next version at a later date -- but we planned all that out ahead of time so we can move on to the next version.

Read More - No Graphics Needed: The Process
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-21-2010, 04:18 PM   #2
MVP

OVR: 28
For an educated guess, sounds pretty realistic. I don't think the developers for the games we play today get enough credit for the hours that they put in.

The thing that always amazes me about developers of sports games, how do you re-invent the wheel every year? The primary rules don't change.

Take football for example. You have 11 on 11. Scoring doesn't change. The rules rarely change. Football is football. What amazes me is how developers can take the same game and do whatever they can to keep it fresh and new feeling outside of the updated rosters.
Old 07-21-2010, 04:33 PM   #3
Titans Era has begun.

HealyMonster's Arena

OVR: 31
Nice article Mike!

Im wondering, it would seem like a bigger development team = less "innovation" based on what your saying since it seems like a development team can get crowded quickly. Is that right? Like it seems like when determining what actually "goes into the next game", a lot of people are there with in put, and a smaller dev team would be able to centralize ideas and essentially "get to work sonner" and with a more direct objective.
Old 07-21-2010, 04:37 PM   #4
Timbers - Jags - Hokies

The GIGGAS's Arena

OVR: 55
Re: No Graphics Needed: The Process

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiderGH
Nice article Mike!

Im wondering, it would seem like a bigger development team = less "innovation" based on what your saying since it seems like a development team can get crowded quickly. Is that right? Like it seems like when determining what actually "goes into the next game", a lot of people are there with in put, and a smaller dev team would be able to centralize ideas and essentially "get to work sonner" and with a more direct objective.
If I were to make a guess, I'd say that the direct objective is determined before any programmer/artists are brought in. In my head, I see it like this:

people like Ian meet with higher ups who determine the big plan
Ian meets with workers, informs them of the plan
the workers suggest features
Ian and the higher ups decide what gets cut and what doesn't, based on the budgeting idea

So I don't know how big of an issue a large development team is on the planning side. I don't have any experience of that, seeing as the NCAA credits has more names than the building access internal page of my company (or at least, I assume so).

Member: OS Uni Snob Assoc.
OS OT Post Champ '11

Twitter: @TheGIGGAS_OS
Xbox Live: TheGIGGAS
3DS: 1349-7755-3870
Old 07-27-2010, 02:53 AM   #5
Banned

OVR: 0

good day,,,,,,,
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-09-2010, 12:06 AM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMChrisS
Let me preface this article with a huge disclaimer. I do not know the methodology EA Sports or any other video game company uses to turn out large-scale video games. This is all an educated guess and a hypothetical situation.

Now that we have that out of the way, let me take a look behind the curtain and imagine how the development process works.

Let's start, of course, right after the previous version of Sports Title X has come out. In this case, let's call it Snider Football 11, which is created by Snidersoft. We are now a couple weeks removed from the release of the game, and it's time to start working on the next version. Part of the team will work on the patch(es) for the previous release and come back to working on the next version at a later date -- but we planned all that out ahead of time so we can move on to the next version.

Read More - No Graphics Needed: The Process
Thanks for sharing.
Old 08-09-2010, 11:25 AM   #7
Rookie

Randiesel75's Arena

OVR: 15
Thumbs up Re: No Graphics Needed: The Process

Mike, I'm curious as to you decision to write on this topic? Do you entertain ideas to start a small development team or is the purely written for a topic you have great passion for?
Old 08-09-2010, 11:31 AM   #8
Timbers - Jags - Hokies

The GIGGAS's Arena

OVR: 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randiesel
Mike, I'm curious as to you decision to write on this topic? Do you entertain ideas to start a small development team or is the purely written for a topic you have great passion for?
I'm a software developer for a small company in Southwestern Virginia. Mostly I write about what I know. I want the gaming community at large to better understand what goes into making the games we play.

Member: OS Uni Snob Assoc.
OS OT Post Champ '11

Twitter: @TheGIGGAS_OS
Xbox Live: TheGIGGAS
3DS: 1349-7755-3870

« Operation Sports Forums > The News Desk > Operation Sports Content and Other News »