Home

Former Tennessee Basketball Player Bobby Maze sues EA/NCAA

This is a discussion on Former Tennessee Basketball Player Bobby Maze sues EA/NCAA within the Operation Sports Content forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > The News Desk > Operation Sports Content
NBA Live 19 Review
NBA 2K19 Review
NASCAR Heat 3 Review
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 12-16-2010, 01:50 PM   #9
MVP
 
Mos1ted's Arena
 
OVR: 21
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Charlotte, NC
Blog Entries: 6
This is probably the same guy who bragged to his buddies about being in a video game when those games were out.

Like others have said, we wouldn't here a peep if these guys would have made it as pros.
Mos1ted is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 03:22 PM   #10
Rookie
 
OVR: 8
Join Date: Jun 2009
Blog Entries: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mos1ted
This is probably the same guy who bragged to his buddies about being in a video game when those games were out.

Like others have said, we wouldn't here a peep if these guys would have made it as pros.
Im pretty sure he was that guy
1WEiRDguy is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 04:28 PM   #11
MVP
 
OVR: 19
Join Date: Jan 2005
Blog Entries: 1
From the responses, I can tell most if not all or you never played at the collegiate level (I'm not talking about Jr College either). I laugh at people who make the GOOFY statement " they got a Free education". The schedule of a Collegiate athlete is more demanding than most "FANS" can comprehend.

People forget the the NCAA is not part of the educational system. It's a private institution that makes billions and makes millioniars of a select few. The money they say they give to the schools never make it to the athletes or students of the University. After the Presidents and Trustees take their piece, little is left, which must be distributed across all sports. Again, that scholarship is not FREE. Your're basically in Bootcamp while being an athlete. The part folks don't talk about, is how athletes are now being required to stay and train during college breaks. Many of you who make these dumb statements, make them because you've never experienced the grueling schedule and you think it's a piece of cake.

It's easier getting a shot at the Pro's, then trying to make a college team and obtain an Athletic Scholarship.


Also, anyone who a brain knows that just becuase you get a degree, doesn't mean your going to have a job after graduating. We all know of someone that got their degree, only to be working at Blockbuster Video etc...

The part they don't tell you is that after you get that degree, your're going to be greeted with "We're looking for someone with ? years of experience"!

BTW, it would bother you to if you looked around and saw NCAA Administrators making six figures, University President and AD's making six figures and coach's making millions of your athletic ability. But when your done, you don't even exist.

I say to any athlete in this situation, get yours, because everyone else (including fans) made out on your abilities!!!

khaliib is offline  
Reply With Quote
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-16-2010, 04:49 PM   #12
Banned
 
JerseySuave4's Arena
 
OVR: 23
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Dirty Jerz
Quote:
Originally Posted by khaliib
From the responses, I can tell most if not all or you never played at the collegiate level (I'm not talking about Jr College either). I laugh at people who make the GOOFY statement " they got a Free education". The schedule of a Collegiate athlete is more demanding than most "FANS" can comprehend.

People forget the the NCAA is not part of the educational system. It's a private institution that makes billions and makes millioniars of a select few. The money they say they give to the schools never make it to the athletes or students of the University. After the Presidents and Trustees take their piece, little is left, which must be distributed across all sports. Again, that scholarship is not FREE. Your're basically in Bootcamp while being an athlete. The part folks don't talk about, is how athletes are now being required to stay and train during college breaks. Many of you who make these dumb statements, make them because you've never experienced the grueling schedule and you think it's a piece of cake.

It's easier getting a shot at the Pro's, then trying to make a college team and obtain an Athletic Scholarship.


Also, anyone who a brain knows that just becuase you get a degree, doesn't mean your going to have a job after graduating. We all know of someone that got their degree, only to be working at Blockbuster Video etc...

The part they don't tell you is that after you get that degree, your're going to be greeted with "We're looking for someone with ? years of experience"!

BTW, it would bother you to if you looked around and saw NCAA Administrators making six figures, University President and AD's making six figures and coach's making millions of your athletic ability. But when your done, you don't even exist.

I say to any athlete in this situation, get yours, because everyone else (including fans) made out on your abilities!!!
well boo hoo, you know what a lot of people that dont get a free education have to do??? Work while going to school. So you talk about schedule of an athlete, how about the schedule of someone who has to work in order to pay for their school. So quit the crying about how tough it is to be a college athlete. Its not easier to get a shot at the pros. There are only x amount of pro athletes for any sport. Lets look at basketball. An NBA roster consists of 12 active players with 30 teams which is 360 active players. There are how many college basketball teams at the D1 level alone? 300? The pros are the elite players in the world. You can be a good h.s. player, mediocre college player and get a scholarship even if you dont have a shot at the pros. Regular college students need to worry about experience just as much as college athletes do.

I'm sick of people trying to make it sound like college athletes are slaves. We should feel so sorry for you that schools are making millions of dollars while you only get a free education.

NCAA Administrators and University Presidents and ADs and coaches make millions not off of your athletic ability, but rather because they are doing the job assigned to them. Its not like those people just sit back with their feet up in a chair smoking a cigar while they just rake in the money because of athletes. There is a ton of more work than you could ever imagine that go into those jobs which is why they are paid the money they make. They make decisions that not only affect athletes, but the entire school.
JerseySuave4 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 06:30 PM   #13
Rookie
 
OVR: 13
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Seattle, WA
Blog Entries: 7
for me its not a matter of fair or not, its SIMPLY what they agreed to. He know they made that game before he agreed to go to school, he didn't object then. Might not be fair, but if you walk into it knowing the situation, then what do you have to sue about. As a college athlete you can't get paid ANYWAY.
Jackmouv is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 08:48 PM   #14
Pro
 
Bolt957's Arena
 
OVR: 14
Join Date: May 2010
Blog Entries: 3
These lawsuits are loads of crap. Just tryna make quick cash. We know the economy's bad, but do we really wanna go into lawsuits?!?! STUPID
Bolt957 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 11:24 PM   #15
MVP
 
OVR: 19
Join Date: Jan 2005
Blog Entries: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseySuave4
well boo hoo, you know what a lot of people that dont get a free education have to do??? Work while going to school. So you talk about schedule of an athlete, how about the schedule of someone who has to work in order to pay for their school. So quit the crying about how tough it is to be a college athlete. Its not easier to get a shot at the pros. There are only x amount of pro athletes for any sport. Lets look at basketball. An NBA roster consists of 12 active players with 30 teams which is 360 active players. There are how many college basketball teams at the D1 level alone? 300? The pros are the elite players in the world. You can be a good h.s. player, mediocre college player and get a scholarship even if you dont have a shot at the pros. Regular college students need to worry about experience just as much as college athletes do.

I'm sick of people trying to make it sound like college athletes are slaves. We should feel so sorry for you that schools are making millions of dollars while you only get a free education.

NCAA Administrators and University Presidents and ADs and coaches make millions not off of your athletic ability, but rather because they are doing the job assigned to them. Its not like those people just sit back with their feet up in a chair smoking a cigar while they just rake in the money because of athletes. There is a ton of more work than you could ever imagine that go into those jobs which is why they are paid the money they make. They make decisions that not only affect athletes, but the entire school.
I will pray for peace through your anger you were not gifted with abilities to be a college athlete.

Your statement about "Administrators of a University getting paid for the job assigned to them", well I would say go say that to any instructor at any University and see how they feel about such a statement.

Anyhow, this site is not about our stance, but about video games.
So I will not respond anymore.
khaliib is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 03:29 AM   #16
Banned
 
OVR: 12
Join Date: Jul 2003
Blog Entries: 2
Re: Former Tennessee Basketball Player Bobby Maze sues EA/NCAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by khaliib
From the responses, I can tell most if not all or you never played at the collegiate level (I'm not talking about Jr College either). I laugh at people who make the GOOFY statement " they got a Free education". The schedule of a Collegiate athlete is more demanding than most "FANS" can comprehend.

People forget the the NCAA is not part of the educational system. It's a private institution that makes billions and makes millioniars of a select few. The money they say they give to the schools never make it to the athletes or students of the University. After the Presidents and Trustees take their piece, little is left, which must be distributed across all sports. Again, that scholarship is not FREE. Your're basically in Bootcamp while being an athlete. The part folks don't talk about, is how athletes are now being required to stay and train during college breaks. Many of you who make these dumb statements, make them because you've never experienced the grueling schedule and you think it's a piece of cake.

It's easier getting a shot at the Pro's, then trying to make a college team and obtain an Athletic Scholarship.


Also, anyone who a brain knows that just becuase you get a degree, doesn't mean your going to have a job after graduating. We all know of someone that got their degree, only to be working at Blockbuster Video etc...

The part they don't tell you is that after you get that degree, your're going to be greeted with "We're looking for someone with ? years of experience"!

BTW, it would bother you to if you looked around and saw NCAA Administrators making six figures, University President and AD's making six figures and coach's making millions of your athletic ability. But when your done, you don't even exist.

I say to any athlete in this situation, get yours, because everyone else (including fans) made out on your abilities!!!
I had to respond to this... especially since I'M the one that made the "goofy" statement about a free education..
Now correct me if i'm wrong but in order for these guys to even play college sports, you have to receive a sports scholarship right OR make a team as a walk on correct?? Tell me this.. What university would give someone a sports scholarship and NOT REQUIRE THEM TO ATTEND CLASSES?? You still have to make the grades to stay eligible to play sports. So.. Education IS apart of the athlete experience that's why they are called... SURPRISE!!! student athletes!!

Point #2: You say the monies the NCAA receive never reach the athlete or the students themselves. Well I don't know if you know this but the athletes DON'T SUPPOSED TO GET PAID!! They are amateurs and the students DO see the monies but in different ways i.e. better facilities, new libraries, and various other projects. Plus there is a law enacted back in 1972 called Title IX, heard of that??
So the girls got to get there's too.

Point # 3: You talked about the RIGORS and the GRUELING schedule these guys have.
Look nobody is making these guys do anything they dont want to do.. Like Dan Hawkins said in his infamous “This is Division I college football”rant... If you want time off to go on the family summer vacation to the GRAND CANYON, then go play JV or intramurals brother. You are an ADULT!! If a kid is projected to go high 2nd round and he got people in his ear TELLING HIM THIS, and they keep telling him to keep puttin in the work, get better, get stronger, you know what, hes gonna participate in those workouts OR dont participate and lose your starting job to an incoming frosh that WANTS to put in the work??
Another thing, last time I checked, this is AMERICA, you have a choice. Nobody said that this a piece of cake but if life as a student athlete is too tough, just become a student then... yeah right.

Point #4: You said its easier..EASIER getting a shot in the pros than making a college team.
K im sorry but this comment right here, you lost ALL credibility with me and probably everyone who read your statement. Think about this, You mean to tell me and others on this board that a 18 year old kid, who received a basketball scholarship from UCLA, a first year starter DIAPER DANDY, has a better chance and go “nah, Ill drive 25 miles down to the El Segundo Sports Center, where the Lakers and Clippers train, tryout with one of them and make their roster instead??? Are you serious?? Are you for real?? Even the Clippers, as bad as they are (right now) STILL have 12 guys better than him!!!! Cmon man...

Point #5: You said that just because someone has a college degree doesn't guarantee you a job.
Your right about that sir!!! I mean look at our country right now.We have a lot of smart, talented , knowledgeable and EDUCATED people right now sittin at home because the economy is so bad. As far as former student athletes go, if the real world dont work out, get a job in the world you DO know.. Become a coach, high school, college, anywhere. Use your knowledge about a sport and become a mentor, help someone else like someone helped you. Two things about the whole degree thing. I know someone who played college athletics,got a diploma, and couldn't find a job. I asked him what did you major in.. AFRICAN AMERICAN STUDIES. What type of job your gonna get with AA studies on your resume?? Some of these athletes poor planning are to blame because a lot of them DONT have plan Bs, they all think they gonna turn pro and dont worry about things like that.

Jersey wasnt angry with your response, I think he was more dismayed ,like myself, by someone actually playing the woe as me athlete card. Besides you brought all this up, you didnt think anyone on here was gonna respond to your statements?? Thats why people love this place!!!

You said some other things about ADs and such but I do want to say something about the school presidents. These guys make six figures, some seven, for a reason. They are the CEOs of the their institutions. They are responsible for EVERYTHING concerning that institution. Some of the guys are Doctors, lawyers, and some of the very best and highly respectable minds this country has to offer.
They are making their money. In closing, lastly you said some of us dont know what its like to be college athletes, your probably right some of us dont know. I know I dont. But you know what K, we dont have to know what its like. With all the info that bombards us, we know the lives of student athletes more than you know. I DO know that sports fans that has watched sports a long time knows what goes on on “both sides of the fence”. The kids get their SUVs in their mommas name, new clothes, whatever they need they will have it. I mean there was an awesome 30 for 30 that premiered this past week on the athletes at SMU. At the end of that show, like Musberger said, they still keep score on Saturdays... and the schools are ALWAYS looking for kids to make those scores and that will NEVER CHANGE.

One final note, if you are “worried” about your likeness?? go to VALDOSTA STATE... Heck even VANDERBILT is on SOMEONES TV every week....
So what...

Ben
Voodoo
shyvoodoo is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply


« Previous Thread | Next Thread »

« Operation Sports Forums > The News Desk > Operation Sports Content »


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:58 PM.

Top -