Home

OS Roundtable: What Will Be the Story of 2011 for Sports Gaming?

This is a discussion on OS Roundtable: What Will Be the Story of 2011 for Sports Gaming? within the Operation Sports Content and Other News forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > The News Desk > Operation Sports Content and Other News
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-18-2010, 03:46 PM   #25
Rookie

OVR: 11
I hope that NBA 2K keeps Michael jordan and classic teams in the game for next year. That would be a shame if they got rid of them. Does anybody think they would remove them?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-18-2010, 03:46 PM   #26
Rookie

OVR: 11
I hope that NBA 2K keeps Michael jordan and classic teams in the game for next year. That would be a shame if they got rid of them. Does anybody think they would remove them?
Old 12-18-2010, 08:44 PM   #27
Banned

OVR: 14
2k basketball has a long way to go. I think the hype of NBA 2k11 is somewhat hallow.

If 2k12 changes the transistion game and how players walk, spring, run and hustle. Then 2k has overtaken any sports game ever made.

I love basketball, unfortunately I have a hard time playing NBA 2k11.....it doesn't represent high tempo basketball at all. No big men run middle, defensive transistion is overly fast, players run to spots on the floor instead of being spontaneous.....

I would like to see NCAA football establish a link to its past. Old school playbooks, options for the old bowl system, current bowl system or a playoff.

The death of exclusive licenses with involve champagne and a toast at my house.
Old 12-19-2010, 12:53 AM   #28
MVP

OVR: 30
Well, I'm just hoping the big stories will be how NBA2K12 GETS THE CONTROLS TOGETHER AND ADOPTS ANALOG DRIBBLING (sheesh. I can deal with the other flaws, for now), Elite or Live 12, whatever it will be called, will be ample competition, and EA announces that they've bought Nat. Mot. and will implement the Euphoria engine by Madden 13 (not hatnin'...maybe)....oh, and, like someone already mentioned, NFL2K13 will be announced because the NFL does in the NFL license exclusivity.
Old 12-19-2010, 01:27 AM   #29
Banned

tomzenns's Arena

OVR: 25
NBA Elite 12 will be nasty-good.
Old 12-19-2010, 01:44 AM   #30
MVP

OVR: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyr326
I think 2K will have to change direction with that. They've done all they can with Michael Jordan. If they sign him again next year, I think we'd need to see like a Jordan/Bird/Johnson cover with more classic teams, and then what do you do from there? Michael Jordan's licensing is super expensive and he's always taken his own path. I bet that 2K only signed him for one year, and they can't keep reinvesting in more separately-licensed legends because that would cost them a ton in the long run, not to mention making every game "nostalgic" and missing the boat on the current NBA.

So in short, I think they put all their eggs in the MJ basket for one year, made a run at classic teams though too MJ-focused, and cashed in. Next year, though, it'll be back to current NBA and select legends not including Jordan.
Old 12-19-2010, 04:31 AM   #31
Pro

OVR: 33
For me the 2 games that really moved forward this year are NBA 2K11 & NCAA Football 11. Both games have made massive year on year improvements. This is particularly impressive in regards to NBA 2K11 bearing in mind just how solid the previous version was.

2010 overall has been a good one for us motor sport fans. F1 is back & we've had the release of the first official WRC game on this generation of consoles as of course the long awaited GT5. Whilst new versions of SBK & V8 supercars continue to move forward & give us some variation to quench our thirst for speed.

As for 2011 I think we will have a year of solid annual updates albeit without seeing any massive steps in regards to new innovations.

NBA Elite 12 will get released but the efforts to address the flaws from this years effort will leave the remainder of the game lacking depth.

NHL 2K12 could well be the surprise of the year. The year out will benefit the game & will feature an NHL Today mode similar to the modes in 2K's NBA & MLB titles. This coupled with a far superior Franchise Mode will make this the better choice for offline gamers. It will be a shot across the bows for EA who, despite a superior gameplay engine & more investments in the Ultimate Team mode, receive criticism due to the lack of any real progress elsewhere in the title.

Madden 12 will see some long overdue Franchise improvements. The lazy Extra Point mode is dropped completely as EA continues to ignore the significance of a broadcast feature that made NFL 2K5 so much loved. Fans will continue to wish for a 2K NFL game.

For the first time in a while FIFA 12 will be given a lukewarm response from the community as EA are accused of going through the motions. It's not all negative for EA though. Fight Night Champions will be a big hit & PGA 12 will continue to deliver the best in videogame golfing.

Now for my speculative headline of the year:-

EA ANNOUNCE NCAA 12 WILL BE THE LAST COLLEGIATE GAME FOR THE FORESEEABLE FUTURE!
Due to ongoing legal issues EA will currently be putting their NCAA Football game on hiatus. These same issues are sited by 2K when confronted with the likelihood of a new College Hoops title.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-19-2010, 03:52 PM   #32
Rookie

OVR: 22
Drum roll please! The biggest sports gaming story of 2012 will be............Madden 2012. Mark my words, Madden Armageddon will rival the efforts of the show and 2k basketball. Get ready!

« Operation Sports Forums > The News Desk > Operation Sports Content and Other News »