Home

RUMOR: Activision Eyeing Takeover Bid of Take Two

This is a discussion on RUMOR: Activision Eyeing Takeover Bid of Take Two within the Operation Sports Content and Other News forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > The News Desk > Operation Sports Content and Other News
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-12-2011, 03:44 AM   #9
Pro

OVR: 33
I don't want EA or Activision going anywhere near 2K. 2K have made some pretty poor decisions down the years but they create arguably the best sports game out there in NBA 2K11 whilst their MLB series seems to be heading back in the right direction. I also believe they are set to come back with a strong NHL title to compete with EA's effort that is starting to show signs of reaching stagnation point.

EA would simply destroy everything that 2K has done so well. EA don't follow the same creation process as 2K. The little details that have made NBA 2K so special would be thrown out the window by a company that has developed a reputation of cutting costs by cutting corners.

As for Activision. This is a company that, put in simple terms, don't do sport games. At least that's what history suggests. That said the forthcoming NASCAR is looking good & there is a possibility with a merger they might broaden their horizons. However what typically happens in any business merger is cost reductions. Therefore we might still get an NBA 2K game but one that no longer has the same funding.

I personally feel 2K has the chance to become the big name in sports games over EA. They already own the best basketball game. We know what they are capable of doing if they can get the rights to an NFL game. If 2K continue to head in the current direction we as gamers will have a lot to look forward to.
Old 02-12-2011, 06:08 AM   #10
Everyday is Faceurary!

dickey1331's Arena

OVR: 31
Re: RUMOR: Activision Eyeing Takeover Bid of Take Two

While Im not a huge 2K fan I really hope this doesnt happen. Im afraid sports games would take a hit and no one wants that.
NFL: Dallas Cowboys
NHL: Dallas Stars
NBA: Dallas Mavericks

I own a band check it out
Old 02-12-2011, 06:56 AM   #11
New Ork Giants

Goffs's Arena

OVR: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElCoyote
To me it seems like EA is Activision's biggest competitor, and with a little more financial backing, 2K Sports might be making an NFL game soon. I'm sure Activision would love to crash Madden's party every August.
thats how i see it as well...2k already owns the basketball market and im sure Activision will love to keep it that way...but still...Activision..
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-12-2011, 08:29 AM   #12
MVP

kennyacid's Arena

it could end up being a blessing and a curse. Activision has resources take two doesnt doesnt. Im sure they will keep the 2k crew because NBA 2K is a gold mine and they will just use their extra resources to make it even better. Maybe we will finally have a more stable online along with other things the game really need. On the other hand....it is Activision after all and i dont really trust them with sports game.....but hey who knows
Old 02-12-2011, 08:46 AM   #13
Banned

OVR: 12
If I were Sony or Microsoft, I would definitely inquire about 2k sports
No doubt this could be an excellent first party acquisition for either one.
Sony, namely, could put another top tier sports developer along with SCEA San Diego (The Show).
Sony, since they are one of the NFLs biggest advertisers and sponsors, are the only ones IMO that can approach the NFL for an license. Microsoft has the same clout as well, could be a major coup for both.

If Activistion takes over, this will no doubt be the era of the FPS, and Sports games could be maybe be a thing of the past, which would be really unfortunate... Who would of thought that technology of all things, would effectively kill our favorite genre.. unfathomable...
Old 02-12-2011, 08:52 AM   #14
Banned

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenkraly2004
Why can't EA merge with 2Ksports? Not Activision please that whould be the end of 2Ksports as we know it.
Why would anyone with half a brain want this???
And you think it WONT be the end of 2k sports if they merged with EA??

Last time I checked, thinking is NOT illegal....

ben
voodoo

Last edited by shyvoodoo; 02-12-2011 at 08:56 AM.
Old 02-12-2011, 08:56 AM   #15
Banned

OVR: 3
If this happens I see it going one of two ways. 1) Activision kills off 2K Sports or 2) With the release of Nascar, Activision maybe wants to open their door to a sports branch. Could be that they know how much an NFL game can bring in and that they know 2K could do it better than Madden if only 2K had the funding for the liscense. I really could care less what they do with all the FPS games as I have 0 interest in them. I would just really hate to see 2K Sports die. I guess we'll always have MLB The Show if nothing else in the sports genre, I don't see them going anywhere.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-12-2011, 09:21 AM   #16
New Ork Giants

Goffs's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinSainn
If this happens I see it going one of two ways. 1) Activision kills off 2K Sports or 2) With the release of Nascar, Activision maybe wants to open their door to a sports branch. Could be that they know how much an NFL game can bring in and that they know 2K could do it better than Madden if only 2K had the funding for the liscense. I really could care less what they do with all the FPS games as I have 0 interest in them. I would just really hate to see 2K Sports die. I guess we'll always have MLB The Show if nothing else in the sports genre, I don't see them going anywhere.
Why would they kill off 2k sports when NBA2k is a big seller? Activision knows this and they will most definitely back it up and will support it to keep it on top...

As Elcoyote said EA is the big rival for activision and having 2k sports under their belt would mean that they would finally have a sports division to compete against EA's sports games...albeit its only NHL and NBA but its a start...

« Operation Sports Forums > The News Desk > Operation Sports Content and Other News »