OS Roundtable: The Activision/Take Two Saga, Where Do You See It Going? - Operation Sports Forums
Home

OS Roundtable: The Activision/Take Two Saga, Where Do You See It Going?

This is a discussion on OS Roundtable: The Activision/Take Two Saga, Where Do You See It Going? within the Operation Sports Content forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > The News Desk > Operation Sports Content

Old 02-16-2011, 03:19 PM   #1
Executive Editor

MMChrisS's Arena

OVR: 57
OS Roundtable: The Activision/Take Two Saga, Where Do You See It Going?

OS Roundtable: The Activision/Take Two Saga -- Where do you see it going?'

Caley Roark:
Like the Comcast-NBC transaction, Activision buying Take-Two would mark the continuing decline of corporate diversity in the technology landscape. While this is normally bad for consumers, there may be a positive when it comes to sports gaming.

First, the financial and marketing power of Activision-Blizzard would provide huge benefits to 2K's line of sports games. The money would exist for riskier developments, like the continuation of the Bigs franchise or an HD version of Power Pros. We might see a return of College Hoops, or even another non-NFL football game (an OSer's dream come true).

Secondly, this backing would mean 2K represents more competition for Activition's rival EA. This may translate to quality games, but it may simply mean that exclusive licenses become more sought after, and therefore longer lasting. Perhaps the MLB rights remain at 2K afterall. Of course, these both rely on Activision having an interest in supporting 2K Sports. I suppose there is the possibility that Activision dismantles the 2K sports lineup, or even rolls it into a new Activision Sports brand. From what I understand, 2K Sports is not the big fish at Take-Two. Plus, maybe annual titles are not worth the risk to a new owner.

That said, the Call of Duty franchise release schedule is not that dissimilar from an annual sports title, beyond the fact that the series has two developers working simultaneously. Regardless, I would say that franchise has had a little bit of success.

Read More - OS Roundtable: The Activision/Take Two Saga, Where do you see it going?

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-16-2011, 03:40 PM   #2
Pro

videlsports's Arena

OVR: 25
Yeah Activision only wants to have grand theft, Bio Shock, Civilization, and Borderlands.. Still It's a fighting Chance. If they are developing Nascar than they may some interest in keeping a sports Team around for the long Haul
Old 02-16-2011, 04:07 PM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 0
Well if activision gets 2k there goes the nba 2k series. the focus will be more on shooting games than sports. 2k should remain its own indiviual company and holdout until 2014 until the nfl liscense expires so they can compete in football with ea
Old 02-16-2011, 04:08 PM   #4
Earlwolfx on XBL

Cusefan's Arena

OVR: 35
Re: OS Roundtable: The Activision/Take Two Saga, Where do you see it going?

Quote:
Originally Posted by videlsports
Yeah Activision only wants to have grand theft, Bio Shock, Civilization, and Borderlands.. Still It's a fighting Chance. If they are developing Nascar than they may some interest in keeping a sports Team around for the long Haul

Screw that, I would not be willing to let Activision Anywhere near Rockstar, Firaxis, or Gearbox. Even if that meant a new football game...
Old 02-16-2011, 04:23 PM   #5
MVP

OVR: 15
Yeah Take 2/2K sports should not go with Activison, it will be a bad move.
Old 02-16-2011, 04:35 PM   #6
Rookie

stcloudgopher's Arena

None of it will matter when Apple buys EA. Extensions of the NFL and NCAA licenses, along with the acquisition of the MLB license, will force all of us to buy Apple's new iGod console for the paltry sum of $999.99. (Of course, Apple will not allow 3rd party games to be played on the iGod without a 60% cut of sales.)
Old 02-16-2011, 04:39 PM   #7
MVP

eaterofworlds888's Arena

OVR: 22
Gonna be honest had me a little worried. As long as NBA 2K continues to be made I will be happy. and hopefully we may see another college hoops title. However, I'm still worried I would die without NBA 2K games, at least on the inside.
Old 02-16-2011, 06:54 PM   #8
Rookie

cajunspice's Arena

I would love for SCEA to buy them. They DEFINITELY have enough capital to compete with EA and I feel like they won't ruin T2's series and divisions. However, this may ruin MLB gaming like it did with NFL gaming since Sony owns The Show series and would discontinue 2K's MLB series

« Operation Sports Forums > The News Desk > Operation Sports Content »