Home

Games of March: The Report Card

This is a discussion on Games of March: The Report Card within the Operation Sports Content and Other News forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > The News Desk > Operation Sports Content and Other News
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-03-2011, 03:54 PM   #1
Executive Editor

RaychelSnr's Arena

OVR: 57
Games of March: The Report Card

Outside of the traditional fall sports gaming release window, March is by far one of the busiest months when it comes to new sports titles being released. And with the release of the 3DS and the every-other-year releases of Top Spin and Fight Night, March 2011 was a an even more packed month than usual.

Bucking the old weather adage, sports gaming in March came in like a Lion and went out like a half man, half Lion, super soldier. Eight weeks after the sports gaming onslaught began, it's time to take a look back at the winners and losers of March, and hand out some awards in the process.

Read More - Games of March: The Report Card
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-03-2011, 04:32 PM   #2
Hall of Fame

JohnDoe8865's Arena

OVR: 59
Good read. I agree almost entirely with the list, except for WWE All-Stars. Having played All-Stars at a friend's house, I wasn't impressed at all, but it WAS more fun than SvR 2011 (which wasn't very hard to do).
Old 05-03-2011, 10:04 PM   #3
All Star

rangerrick012's Arena

OVR: 42
Re: Games of March: The Report Card

RE: TW 12

Quote:
Hampered by a shameful amount of DLC upon release and archaic gameplay mechanics (please remove the spin button!)
1. DLC was optional, so I don't understand how having a lot of it available at release is a bad thing. and 2. The spin button isn't available on Tour Pro & Tournament difficulties.

Other than that,good article.
Old 05-04-2011, 12:17 AM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 2
Because it's gouging rangerrick
Old 05-04-2011, 09:33 AM   #5
MVP

OVR: 19
disagree with the comment about "The Shows buttery smooth analog controls".- the analog controls especially with batting is unresponsive and a bit to difficult.
Id say that 2ks analog controls are buttery smooth when comparing it to The Show.

The Show is solid as usual, and 2k produced a very good "FUN" game.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-04-2011, 03:35 PM   #6
Banned

rman's Arena

OVR: 4
With an MLB exclusive license, it should be embarrassing to 2K that the competition is able to produce such a high quality product for roughly half the cost.

What MLB game is half the cost?
Old 05-06-2011, 07:13 PM   #7
MVP

OVR: 28
I agree with The Show but I am not in agreement with Tiger Woods. The only downfall is the game forces players to purchase courses via DLC because they are included in season play. Outside of that, the game plays outstanding and the caddy is a great addition.

As far as the spin button, it is optional so I don't understand how that is a detriment. Having options to help people enjoy the game is a plus. If games don't have options, even those that can aid players, it can hurt the game as it could be labeled as too difficult.

We are in a world where gaming companies have to expand and the best way to do that is to make their games accessible to everyone, including casual gamers. This year's Tiger Woods is the best in years and having The Masters is a hot selling point....
Old 05-09-2011, 05:26 AM   #8
ShowTime!

NAFBUC's Arena

OVR: 43
Nice writeup Christian. I like the idea of going back and doing a quick recap of the sport games. We can see which games lived up to the hype and reviews, and which ones failed to back the cut.

I agree with your comments about The Show. The more you play, the better it gets. I also love the new analog controls. The Show would receive my vote for Sport Game of the Year.

« Operation Sports Forums > The News Desk > Operation Sports Content and Other News »