OS Roundtable: Who Made the Bigger Mistake, EA or 2K? - Page 2 - Operation Sports Forums
Home

OS Roundtable: Who Made the Bigger Mistake, EA or 2K?

This is a discussion on OS Roundtable: Who Made the Bigger Mistake, EA or 2K? within the Operation Sports Content forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > The News Desk > Operation Sports Content

Old 06-01-2011, 05:03 PM   #9
R.I.P 2KHockey 2000-2011

savoie2006's Arena

OVR: 29
I think people underestimate Take Two. Thinking they can't compete with EA. They are big time company and have the financial resources to compete with EA Sports. The big question is do they want to or are they concerned with their non sports games such as Bioshock, Red Dead Redemption, and GTA? I think the answer is obvious, but that doesn't mean they couldn't compete with EA in all areas in regards to their sports games.
Old 06-01-2011, 05:06 PM   #10
MVP

OVR: 32
2K in my opinion. EA has cash flow coming from so many different titles, it's hard to imagine they will suffer any longterm effects of not having a hoops game in the past year. Gamers are a fickle bunch. If Battelfield 3 blows the doors off of everyone with a absolute awesome title, how many will jump ship from COD? I am sure there will be a large volume of gamers..... even though BF has not been anywhere near the best seller COD franchise has been. SO, I would imagine EA will recover gamers all the same I think, even without a hoops title this past year. I mean, in the ultimate "what if" - what if 2K all of the sudden broght back NFL football? How many would flee Madden? A lot i'd bet.
Old 06-01-2011, 06:09 PM   #11
Pro

OVR: 22
2k, NHL was groundbreaking, ea stole bank board passing, boardplay, defensive stick etc from 2k. And 2ks game was dominant in gameplay nhl2k3 to nhl2k7. Ea bb game has never Been in competetion and the only reason were stubborn fanboys or homers WHO only play eas games. Its the same problem for konami and other developers. Eas fans are such homers even though eas games are inferior. Right now though NHL and FIFA are better. But to beat ea you have to break thru the blind fans not only have the better game. Nba2k and the show have broken thru though, both beasts of quality, but how many years did it take? Nba from ea have sucked for years and only 2k 3rd party Exclusive let Sony show their Awesome game.

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-01-2011, 08:46 PM   #12
Rookie

OVR: 4
is that really the graphics from the demo??? That looks awful, looks last gen or off the iphone app
Old 06-01-2011, 09:32 PM   #13
MVP

CX1329's Arena

OVR: 16
Re: OS Roundtable: Who Made the Bigger Mistake, EA or 2K?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tabulaRasa
2k, NHL was groundbreaking, ea stole bank board passing, boardplay, defensive stick etc from 2k. And 2ks game was dominant in gameplay nhl2k3 to nhl2k7. Ea bb game has never Been in competetion and the only reason were stubborn fanboys or homers WHO only play eas games. Its the same problem for konami and other developers. Eas fans are such homers even though eas games are inferior. Right now though NHL and FIFA are better. But to beat ea you have to break thru the blind fans not only have the better game. Nba2k and the show have broken thru though, both beasts of quality, but how many years did it take? Nba from ea have sucked for years and only 2k 3rd party Exclusive let Sony show their Awesome game.

I understand not everybody likes EA, but credit has to be given where credit is due. EA may not have been able to compete with 2K by putting out consecutive sub-par offerings, from NBA Live 06 through 09, but Live 10 was actually pretty good, and EA basketball was a big part of many people's lives in the early days of console basketball. Like it or not, the Live brand carries a whole lot of tradition, which is why many were upset about the new "Elite" franchise. I own all 2K basketball games from ESPN NBA 2K5 onwards, but I'd still try to get both games each year, even if just out of fondness for the Live name, and to keep my basketball gaming experience fresh after playing too much 2K, as well as support the competition between both companies.

That leads me to the topic at hand. I seriously don't think EA will suffer too much from skipping a year, as I'm willing to guess many of their customers will be willing to give them one last chance once they do come out with a new NBA sim. The profits will be small at first, but if they show some respect for their loyal customer base and slowly attract more basketball gamers by releasing GOOD titles, they will be okay in the end. The execs just need to realize that they won't be keeping people from buying 2K's offering anytime soon. They need to be realistic and refrain from changing directions once again when they fail to achieve monumental sales with their product (ala Live 10).

As for 2K and hockey, they're backed by Take Two, the publishers of GTA and other household names, so I very much doubt money is an issue. I also don't think Take Two will take any drastic measures as long as 2K's NBA series continues to do so well. If the next NBA 2K game turns out to be a success, I'm guessing 2K will continue to enjoy their reputation within Take Two.

Ultimately, it's obvious that 2K made the bigger mistake, but I wouldn't say either EA or 2K will suffer a huge loss once it's all said and done.
Old 06-01-2011, 10:10 PM   #14
Banned

OVR: 9
EA by a mile, nba elite 11 was one word. 'wow' in shock.
Old 06-02-2011, 12:53 AM   #15
Rookie

OVR: 48
Money talks! If you don't produce anything; then you cant make money off of it. No matter how bad it could be.
I was in shock as the rest of the world saw Boozer dunk from the free throw line; and couldn't stop laughing at the video from Hard8times and "Jesus Bynum"; but do you know what? People would have bought the game (NBA ELITE 11) anyways! They (EA) could still probably sell the game on PSN or XBL, and make some money. Just think about it; most crappy games that get released are purchased by somebody, and may not make a dime in profit for the company. Cancelling any game will be a lost revenues. NHL 2K is just going to miss out on their slice of the pie this year as well (lost money).
My point is that they both are losing money and stocks. Big money making companies are not worried about you and me as gamers; They are worried about their investors, and stakes they have on the market. Companies will push out a product (unfinished / or in BETA), sell it to you and i; and then have their highly paid PR people to smooth everything over with you after they have secured the money that you and i have just given to them; then they work you over like a lawyer would in a settlement case, and then by the time you know it, they are already releasing another version for the game, and giving you a list of great new, never seen, highly requested features; and then we buy it, and stop complain about the other game and start complaining about the new one. What a nasty cycle.
My question to you all reading this is: "Should we care if One of these large Corporations has made a mistake**?"
**note: There are 310 million people that live in the USA; and i would probably gather that 7,750,000 (1 quarter) play on some form of gaming console or PC like apparatus. they all would buy 1 game (good or bad) posssibly a year at say $40.00. (you do the math) Do you know how much $$$ they just made.
I am sorry, but i couldn't care less if they cancelled a game this year; because as you get older you understand that their are more fish somewhere in the OCEAN!

cheers
Old 06-02-2011, 05:18 AM   #16
Rookie

OVR: 1
I'm sure this point has been made by people already but rebranding the NBA Live series never really made any sense to me. NBA Live 10 was actually good, which is more than you can say about every Live game on the current generation of consoles.

I think we need two basketballl games. Call the next game from EA NBA Live 13 or whenever they'll make the next one and forget that this whole thing happened.

So who made the bigger misstage? I don't know, I don't really think they're comparable. EA ****ed up and made a bad basketball game, what 2k did made sense, in that they canceled a nonprofitable title.

« Operation Sports Forums > The News Desk > Operation Sports Content »