Home

OS Roundtable: Who Made the Bigger Mistake, EA or 2K?

This is a discussion on OS Roundtable: Who Made the Bigger Mistake, EA or 2K? within the Operation Sports Content and Other News forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > The News Desk > Operation Sports Content and Other News
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-02-2011, 08:41 AM   #17
MVP

OVR: 19
2k is probably just tightening up their portfolio, by dumping products that aren’t profitable, then reallocating funds to their successful titles, and development into other titles.
2k might actually be setting up to reintroduce the college hoops series in 2012, the same year EA plans on rereleasing their NBA basketball game.
Talk about a potential blow to EA's NBA series in 2012.
In addition, that’s more money for further developing 2K's NBA franchise.
And Maybe rereleasing a new football title in a few years.

IMO that’s not much of risk for 2k, as long as they don’t over estimate their sales projections.
2k is also doing what most gaming developers are doing, slashing their portfolios, due to high production costs.

My last point is that, 2K's NBA series is becoming synonymous with basketball, like Madden is to football.
Old 06-02-2011, 12:20 PM   #18
Rookie

209vaughn's Arena

OVR: 1
2k should buy a FIFA liscense.
Old 06-02-2011, 01:08 PM   #19
Grayscale

slickdtc's Arena

OVR: 26
Re: OS Roundtable: Who Made the Bigger Mistake, EA or 2K?

Stopping the NHL 2k series was not a mistake at all; it was getting absolutely destroyed by EA's NHL series, and though it was always second place in terms of sales, the EA's NHL series was finally better (and has been the last 3 or 4 years). I wish they would have kept making the game, because you can definitely see the potential, but a lot of things just weren't up to standards. Simple, basic things weren't done right, and after finally playing the EA NHL series this year with NHL 11, I don't know how I was able to tolerate some of those flaws.

I think EA is doing it right. Taking a year or two to develop a top notch game instead of a yearly cycle when they're already far behind the NBA 2k series. In fact, I wish the NHL 2k series would be revived in 2 or so years as I think a rebuild of the whole thing would do the series well.

Unfortunately, it's all about the money. And even if it's rebuilt, and is a great game, who knows if it'll catch on. It's a risk and probably not worth taking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Money99
And how does one levy a check that will result in only a slight concussion? Do they set their shoulder-pads to 'stun'?
Old 06-02-2011, 02:09 PM   #20
All Star

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by tril
2k is probably just tightening up their portfolio, by dumping products that aren’t profitable, then reallocating funds to their successful titles, and development into other titles.
2k might actually be setting up to reintroduce the college hoops series in 2012, the same year EA plans on rereleasing their NBA basketball game.
I don't see where either company made a mistake, as publishers across the board have been trying to be smarter towards developing properties that are more profitable to them. Gone are the days where we saw the 2Ks and 989s (I guess it's San Diego Studios now) trying to match EA Sports title for title - it's just not financially viable for them. 2K's hockey game was fighting an uphill battle and given that the videogame hockey market is relatively small it didn't make sense pursuing I'd guess.

If I were to side with one, I'd agree w/the viewpoint above. I think it makes better sense to dedicate resources to NBA2K with it having the market to itself/essentially having exclusivity for 2yrs without paying for exclusivity. I'd guess a potential College Hoops, successful NBA Jam/arcade-like game, or even dedicating those resources to shoring up MLB2K all make more sense than a licensed hockey title would make, given the market. The difference in sales of NBA2K from 2010 to 2011 is probably several times what their NHL game has sold this entire generation (just a guess).

When EA's basketball title comes back, of course it'll take a bite out of 2K's marketshare. But it's not like it'll be flawless when it releases; it'll be years behind in terms of development and user feedback. And during that time 2K can do what it can to make itself synonymous with videogame basketball.

XBL gamertag: d0meBreaker22 (that's a zero)

congrats Steelers, city of Pittsburgh, and Steeler Nation - SIX TIME WORLD CHAMPS
Old 06-02-2011, 03:15 PM   #21
Rookie

OVR: 0
Last time I checked 2k had more than just basketball. They also have a baseball game and a tennis game. Plus there is a possibility that a college hoops game comes out soon. 2k has more than just the NBA going for itself.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-02-2011, 04:59 PM   #22
Rookie

OVR: 22
2k is making a smart move and EA a very questionable one...hockey, soccer, and football are all doing well for them and even 2 football titles to boot.....so why invest millions in a game that is not going to sell?
Old 06-02-2011, 05:01 PM   #23
Rookie

OVR: 22
EA needs to give hoops up for good...and the exclusive football license!just let me have a college 2k game if i can't have NFL!huh huh
Old 06-03-2011, 12:01 AM   #24
R.I.P 2KHockey 2000-2011

savoie2006's Arena

OVR: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galarius
EA needs to give hoops up for good...and the exclusive football license!just let me have a college 2k game if i can't have NFL!huh huh
I don't think 2K need two Basketball games personally. Should EA drop the exclusive NFL license, then I would much rather 2K gave us another NFL game. I've always thought their Football games were better animation wise and overall gameplay. The one thing I didn't like was Defense was seemingly impossible at times and I thought the Running Back power ups were arcadish and often resulted in unrealistic results.

Also, don't see why EA should give up NBA. They were on the right track on NBA Live 10. I think they were much more in the race than 2K was with their NHL series. Both had similar situations though, with last minute change of developers.

Last edited by savoie2006; 06-03-2011 at 12:06 AM.

« Operation Sports Forums > The News Desk > Operation Sports Content and Other News »