Home

Football Text-Based Sims This Fall: Feast or Famine?

This is a discussion on Football Text-Based Sims This Fall: Feast or Famine? within the Operation Sports Content and Other News forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > The News Desk > Operation Sports Content and Other News
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-12-2008, 02:44 PM   #1
Executive Editor

RaychelSnr's Arena

OVR: 57
Football Text-Based Sims This Fall: Feast or Famine?

Text-sim football fans are most likely sitting around with a confused look on their faces as the fall approaches. Right now there is no definitive information on what games may or may not be released and there seems to be little hope in getting any new info in the near future. However, our text-sim editor Ben Lewis is here to hopefully clear up the confusion and shed some light on what to expect in his article, Football Text-Based Sims This Fall: Feast or Famine?

Quote:
"The NFL preseason has started, and NCAA play begins later this month, but for fans of text sims, the football landscape has never been more cloudy. It is conceivable to the gaming community that as many as five new games could be released this fall. However, while several games have been mentioned by developers, and others speculated about by text sim enthusiasts, a recent poll at FOFC indicated that a significant number of text-sim enthusiasts aren't sure that they're going to see anything new in the coming months that's worth their time.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-12-2008, 03:03 PM   #2
MVP

Bill_Abner's Arena

OVR: 12
DeepRoute.com
Old 08-12-2008, 04:59 PM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 8
All -

Since this article refers to "Text Based Football Sims", and not just career based games, then I must refer everyone to the excellent "Second and Ten Football" game from RooGames. Version 6 is due out this weekend!!

I've spent more time with this football game than any other. All past NFL teams from 1950 are available, the AI is outstanding, and there is support for head to head play. There is also a college version.

I'm a little biased since I did some of the artwork and sounds for the game, but it has a great reputation in the "replay" community so I'm hoping more people give it a look this year. It's based off of the "First and Ten" boardgame and the support from the game designer and programmer is the best in the industry.

http://www.roogames.co.uk/
Old 08-12-2008, 05:56 PM   #4
Rookie

Heh. I guess I needed to be more clear about the specifics of what the article was intended to cover. I am specifically looking at career sims that can be purchased and played on the user's PC (as opposed to web-based that can't be played single player, and ones that are single-season only). Text simming is already niche gaming. No offense intended, but the other two mentioned here are sub-niches of an already-small niche.
Old 08-12-2008, 06:29 PM   #5
Rookie

Re: Football Text-Based Sims This Fall: Feast or Famine?

Thanks for the clarification. However, I will point out that Second and Ten Version 6 will offer a Roll league feature (continuous ownership league) complete with supplemental drafts...

Still... not the same I know!!!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-12-2008, 08:53 PM   #6
Rookie

www.strat-o-matic.com

This is by far the best text sim of all!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strat-O-Matic
Old 08-13-2008, 07:56 AM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 5
Most definately DDSPF I'm keeping an eye out for. Is the more intriguing for me as Gary and Tim (who have developed top notch sports sims) try their hand at American Football.
Old 08-13-2008, 01:08 PM   #8
Pro

OVR: 10
www.sportsims.net

Cheap, fun, the best. Come join Guardian League. We are in the predraft phase. Trades, drafts, gameplans, etc.

« Operation Sports Forums > The News Desk > Operation Sports Content and Other News »