Home

OS Fact or Fiction: Gamers Should Remember to Have Fun

This is a discussion on OS Fact or Fiction: Gamers Should Remember to Have Fun within the Operation Sports Content forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > The News Desk > Operation Sports Content
NBA Live 19 Review
NBA 2K19 Review
NASCAR Heat 3 Review

Old 11-30-2011, 12:23 PM   #9
Banned

JerseySuave4's Arena

OVR: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by thbends
Fact: Im pretty much in tune with Caley Roark. My game time is very limited these days and I have not enjoyed my sports games like I should because I have been trying to play them like I did in my teens / twenties. Im 37... Wow, crazy to type that. Im married and have two kids. I need to stop restarting my franchise because something is wrong and just play/enjoy my games.

Someone wrote in the forums once something I have tried to live by lately.... When asked if they were going to restart their franchise now that a roster and patch were out they simply replied... "Nope. My Maddenverse is already set."

Here's to starting franchises and creating your own Maddenverse. It doesn't have to follow the NFL perfectly. Once it begins it becomes its own thing.
i'm the same way, once i get the rosters the way i want them and start my franchise/dynasty thats it. I don't need to restart everytime there is a roster update. The only reason i'm restarting my NBA 2k12 Association is because the real NBA rosters will be out soon so i'd rather have this years rosters than last years.
Old 11-30-2011, 02:20 PM   #10
Qb
All Star

Qb's Arena

OVR: 43
I'm also creeping towards the "just enjoy the game" crowd as I attempt to squeeze a few hours of gaming time into my day. Long gone are the days of all-nighters, hours of roster editing, and digging through forums to find the latest sliders/settings/workarounds/etc to improve the game. It's not necessarily by choice, but I'm finding that if I want to enjoy gaming now, I need to let go of my old ways.
Old 11-30-2011, 03:54 PM   #11
Rookie

OVR: 1
well i'm just going to say this.... i don't like to be suckered into something, and that is exactly what both football franchises did. i'll admit i'm a graphics freak and will expect nothing less. all the flaws that ncaa fb 12 had i would had over looked if the 3d grass was throughout the entire game not the replays. i was disappointed about that. maybe they will get it right on a future console "via xbox 720 or ps4". i have to learn its not about that sometimes and just play and try to enjoy it while i can and get some air. one thing i learned is if u don't have time to play video games it will always be fun when you do play them. LET'S ALL WAKE UP!!!!!

Last edited by solo killa boi; 11-30-2011 at 04:00 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-30-2011, 09:55 PM   #12
Pro

Retropyro's Arena

OVR: 8
Re: OS Fact or Fiction: Gamers Should Remember to Have Fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by thbends
Fact: Im pretty much in tune with Caley Roark. My game time is very limited these days and I have not enjoyed my sports games like I should because I have been trying to play them like I did in my teens / twenties. Im 37... Wow, crazy to type that. Im married and have two kids. I need to stop restarting my franchise because something is wrong and just play/enjoy my games.

Someone wrote in the forums once something I have tried to live by lately.... When asked if they were going to restart their franchise now that a roster and patch were out they simply replied... "Nope. My Maddenverse is already set."

Here's to starting franchises and creating your own Maddenverse. It doesn't have to follow the NFL perfectly. Once it begins it becomes its own thing.
I'll just quote this as it's exactly what I was going to say, except I got 3 kids.
Old 12-01-2011, 01:11 AM   #13
Member of Rush Nation

CujoMatty's Arena

OVR: 4
I feel in the middle. I want a game to be fun first and foremost. My biggest frustration however is buying a game and then having to wait 2 months for a patch to come out before I can have the fun I wanted.
Old 12-02-2011, 12:54 AM   #14
Rookie

PFellah's Arena

OVR: 5
Re: OS Fact or Fiction: Gamers Should Remember to Have Fun

Fact. I think it's good to strive for realism and the closer you can get, the better. And I think the game company has some responsibility to try and make the game better each year so they're not charging $60 for a roster and uniform update. But at some point, you as the player have to throw your hands up, realize it's never TOTALLY going to get there, and enjoy a game for what it is rather than what it isn't. Maybe it's because I'm old enough to remember days when the NFLPA and the league weren't in sync, so one game would have real teams with players' numbers instead of names, and another would have real players, but the teams would be generic cities and the colors might not even match (why's Pittsburgh green again?). To say nothing of the fact that you could pretty much run certain plays and players for automatic scores every time. (Tim Smith of the Redskins the year after he won the Super Bowl MVP, sweep right... gone.) By comparison, we're in the salad days.

Last edited by PFellah; 12-02-2011 at 06:38 AM.
Old 12-02-2011, 01:01 PM   #15
Rookie

tical2399's Arena

OVR: 3
complete and utter fiction. Sports games are supposed to mimic the real thing as accurately as possible. The stuff we put up with back in the day was ok because the systems simply could not produce even a semi accurate imitation of real life sports.

I can only speak for football games since thats all I really play. While I do go on much about guys wearing the wrong facemasks I do care that you can create a 160 o-lineman and have him manhandle Suh as the famous youtube video showed us.

I do care that 175 pound Dexter Mccluster can run over Patrick Willis about as often as 260 pound Brandon Jacobs could. I do care that 260 pound Brandon Jacobs can put together a juke/spin combo that would make Barry Sanders proud without tripping all over himself.

I expect in 2011 to have trajectory in passes. If I got a receiver wide open and the only defender is 10 yards in front of him, I should be able to lop it over him without the LB jumping like I threw the ball at a height of like 7 feet .

For those of us who watch football (seems those who voted fact dont) we hear week in and week out how certain WR/TE as matchup nightmare because they too big for the average DB to cover and too fast for the average safety. But this doesnt exist in football games. Size means nothing. You cant have your 6-4 215 pound WR wall off that 5-9 CB and out muscle him for the ball.

You can draft that rare TE with true WR speed and have him constantly shake and our move LBs and safeties in coverage. I dont know about you all but i've never seen a D-lineman try to do a move on an o-lineman and magically bounce 2-3 yards backward .

I've never seen or heard of a QB being drafted in the first round 2 years in a row by the same team. (seen it happen with Ponder in MN and Locker in Tenn) . I've never seen a team with 3 starting caliber CBs (85+) draft another CB in the first round when they had high 60s and low 70s starting at all LB spots.

Last time I checked there was offensive pass interference, defensive holding, late hits out of bounds, hands to the face, ineligible receiver down field and illegal shift penalties. I'm also sure teams can send more than one person in motion.

I don't know if you've fact voters know, but sometimes teams go out of their way to draft local players to get the fans in the seats, but we cant do that cause there is not even an owner mode. I can go on an one. The truth the game is not for those who actually care about football, its for those who want something quick and disposable.

I think this attitude is best shown during one of the loading screen. It talks about legends or something and it says "every wonder what it would be like to play as Barry Sanders.

That shows me that they make this game for those who are young and don't know/care about football, cause of us who do played as Barry for years back when we were putting madden on the map back in the late 80s and 90s.
Old 12-03-2011, 12:41 PM   #16
MVP

OVR: 39
I hate when so-called sports fans settle for anything a game company puts out. It hurts the betterment of a company trying harder to capture the sport they are try to produce.
Companies should put sim or realistic on their games if they don't want their customers to complain able how realistic it is and what's wrong in it's production.
Fun for a sports fan (mostly hardcore) is enjoying the game realistically and trying to create the outcomes you want. Customization and detailed options are the future of sports and gaming in general.

« Operation Sports Forums > The News Desk > Operation Sports Content »