Home

OS Roundtable: What real-to-life attribute is the hardest for sports games to emulate

This is a discussion on OS Roundtable: What real-to-life attribute is the hardest for sports games to emulate within the Operation Sports Content and Other News forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > The News Desk > Operation Sports Content and Other News
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-16-2012, 02:32 PM   #1
Executive Editor

RaychelSnr's Arena

OVR: 57
OS Roundtable: What real-to-life attribute is the hardest for sports games to emulate

No matter the sports game, there are always attributes which are nearly impossible to emulate. Most of these, as our staff agrees largely upon, rest in the mental category of sports. Basically in how an athlete feels or see's how things are evolving in front of them. However, there are physical attributes which are hard to emulate as well. Here's what our staff thinks, let us know what you think in the comments!

Read More - OS Roundtable: What real-to-life attribute is the hardest for sports games to emulate?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-16-2012, 03:22 PM   #2
MVP

OVR: 39
I agree that Fatigue and stamina is hard to implement. I also know producers fear balance in the game would be compromised if they added this correctly according to what they see watching film and videos. Imagine if Barry Sanders had his moves down to the T or a quick point guard was a quick point guard out the box.

The mental aspects of a sport to me can be added it's just I feel producers are holding back to implement it at some point and time as the ultimate feature. I see so many things in other games that aren't sports games that give it's characters physical traits. So, it's definitely possible.

Last edited by SHAKYR; 11-16-2012 at 03:25 PM.
Old 11-16-2012, 03:32 PM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 3
I say agility and acceleration. Or as it relates to bball games quickness. It seems that whoever makes these ratings takes the simple way out when it comes to this. For example a linebacker may have an 80 speed, 78 agility, and 79 quickness. For a lineman it may be 72, 68, 69. Rb 89, 88, 88. To me there is a huge difference between agility and speed. Most linebackers are pretty fast in straight line speed, and can run with backs and TE. Where RBs seperate is with agility. I think if people who made ratings took agility and acceleration more seriously it could completly change the gameplay in a realistic fashion.
Old 11-16-2012, 05:30 PM   #4
Pro

OVR: 5
For passing in basketball, I wonder if they can add the same scheme like they have for doing up an unders in the post. Hold the direction you want to fake the pass to. Once he starts the animation and before he lets go of the ball if you move the left stick to the opposite direction it'll throw a no look that way.
Old 11-16-2012, 06:06 PM   #5
The Designated Hitter

BA2929's Arena

OVR: 20
The intelligence of the human brain is the hardest for sports games (any game actually) to emulate. People complain all the time about the players in EA's NCAA Football doing stuff that isn't smart and isn't like real life. It's hard to program a CB to make a million different corrections on route awareness based on what he sees like the human brain does. Due to this limitation, we'll never get a 100% accurate sports game and most people need to tone down their expectations for CPU AI.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-16-2012, 07:35 PM   #6
MVP

OVR: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by BA2929
The intelligence of the human brain is the hardest for sports games (any game actually) to emulate. People complain all the time about the players in EA's NCAA Football doing stuff that isn't smart and isn't like real life. It's hard to program a CB to make a million different corrections on route awareness based on what he sees like the human brain does. Due to this limitation, we'll never get a 100% accurate sports game and most people need to tone down their expectations for CPU AI.
tendencies and abilities helps the AI come close to what the brain of an athlete can do. It's about what abilities and tendencies you give the athlete. OK, let's say you have a boxing game and you are playing against Muhammad Ali. Ali should jab you and move around. He should clinch you when you come in too close.
There are so many variations you can add to CPU AI. It's just that some developers think it might be a waste of time to add them.
Old 11-16-2012, 09:37 PM   #7
Cade Cunningham

rudyjuly2's Arena

OVR: 75
RB Awareness - finding the right holes, knowing when to take it easy and when to accelerate hard, when to use special moves are all hard. I think QB Awareness - when to throw to the right receiver, when to lead the WR, when to gun it or put a soft touch on the ball, timing, etc. are all very hard. EA has really struggled in both areas this gen.
Old 11-16-2012, 10:15 PM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 10
Confidence is something that cannot be done accurately. A player could who could have all the talent in the world but get into a situation he is unfamiliar with and freeze up. Or if he is expecting a certain amount of minutes/touches he might not react to that well.

« Operation Sports Forums > The News Desk > Operation Sports Content and Other News »