EA is the 'Worst Company In America' - Page 14 - Operation Sports Forums
Home

EA is the 'Worst Company In America'

This is a discussion on EA is the 'Worst Company In America' within the Operation Sports Content forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > The News Desk > Operation Sports Content

Old 04-12-2013, 12:40 PM   #105

ubernoob's Arena

OVR: 24
If they are making money, then yes they are doing good. (See: Marlins, Miami)

It's when they stop making money (or risk getting fired) that changes get made.

Money talks. Plus the comparisons have never worked. We're talking about video games, not teams that people have deep bonds with.
Battle.Net BTag -ubernoob#1403

Twitch
Old 04-12-2013, 12:43 PM   #106
MVP

OVR: 5
Re: EA is the 'Worst Company In America'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fresh Tendrils
You act as if EA has invented and are the only company doing these practices. Its a trademark of countless product industries to scale, scale, and scale back and then re-introduce previous features. Do you really think you're actually getting 30% more of a Snickers bar when they put that new wrapper on meanwhile not noticing they've actually gotten smaller previously.
Where did I say that EA was the only? Snickers has absolutely nothing to do with EA/Tib or Madden. You are using a deflective tactic.

Quote:
And you're diminishing the scope of competition to fit your agenda.
My agenda has nothing to do with "diminishing the scope of competition". My personal agenda is a realistic NFL video game being released w/o a bunch of bugs shooting out of it's backside.

Quote:
Just because YOU, one consumer in the market, wants another choice for a football does not mean that your neighbor doesn't have Madden in one hand and Batman in another - they're still competitors of each other. There's different levels, but all titles compete with each other.
Someone owning both Batman and Madden does nothing for providing a good NFL Video Game, or providing more than one. You're just giving more deflection to the real issues. A subpar NFL Video game with no choice for another NFL Video game. Batman has nothing to do with NFL Video game choices.

Quote:
Its not a monopoly. If EA was the only maker of video games that would be a monopoly. Its not a monopoly simply because a company only licenses out their IP to one manufacturer. That is a partnership - not a monopoly.
I called it a pseudo-monopoly for a reason. And ford can be the only manufacturer of a pick up truck and provide only one pickup truck. Saying a smart car is competition, therefor you have choices, is making a wildly irresponsible scope of that one pickup trucks competition.

Quote:
Dislike it all you want, but it doesn't inherently make either entity terrible or a bad company.
It's makes the situation anti-consumer. But when the product that is produced is sub par (incredibly buggy), removes features to reintroduce those features as new, the practices are terrible, anti-consumer, anti-choice, and does make a bad company for consumer satisfaction.

Quote:
So far that has been the primary discussion of the thread.
Sorry, but activision and snickers are not the primary discussion of the thread. Those are just deflections from the primary discussion of the thread. EA's business practices and Mr. Moore's comments.

Last edited by bucky60; 04-12-2013 at 12:46 PM.
Old 04-12-2013, 12:49 PM   #107
Rookie

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by rootofalleli
So let's say a sports team sells tickets and jerseys but posts a losing record year after year. Your logic says that the team owner/management are doing fine. If people didn't enjoy hoping for a turnaround, they'd stop going to games, right? Maybe those fans with paper bags on their heads are actually having *more fun* than they would if the team had a good GM, a professional scout team, a quarterback, and a good coach. This must be their twisted brand of fun, or else they wouldn't be at the games. How odd that so many masochists have decided to settle in cities like Cleveland, Detroit, Oakland, and Buffalo!
Look, don't be talking about my die-hard love for the Cubs...

Let's define the success here. From a team performance, they're not. But from a financial standpoint, they are. No matter how bad the Cubs are playing, folks are still coming out to Wrigley (I do, too. But when I get free tickets, lol). Look at the Sox. They'll be in playoff contention but still have only 27K fill a 40K seat stadium. Sad, but it's true.

Success is measured in dollars and cents at the end of the day. Folks can bash Madden all day. I bash it, too. Here's the thing: A lot of the folks who bash it...HAVE PAID FOR THIS GAME. EA has their money already. This happens every year and you know it. People complain about this game and still buy it. I'm begging for the day that a great NFL game comes out. As passionate as I am for that game, I can't spend my money on it because de facto it's the only game in town. I'm not going with that/ I'd rather do without as opposed to just buying and being pissed about it everyday.
Old 04-12-2013, 12:50 PM   #108
Rookie

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM Hooe
A rather obstinate stance to take. Don't EA's video games - whether the genre be sports, shooters, RPGs, MMOs, simulations, etc. - necessarily compete with any other video game released by any other publisher for market share and sales?

If the answer to that question is "yes" (spoiler: the answer to that question is in-fact "yes"), then one can't begin to say that a consumer has no other options with regard to whether to purchase Madden. There are other video games one may buy, no one is forcing anyone to buy Madden, and the unfortunate fact that there's only one video game which may use NFL likenesses doesn't change any of the above.

Does the football exclusivity situation suck for the consumer? Sure. I enjoyed NFL 2K as much as anyone else, buggy career modes notwithstanding. However, EA isn't engaging in monopolistic behavior by participating in an exclusive arrangement for use of NFL properties any more than Activision is engaging in monopolistic behavior by participating in an exclusive arrangement for the use of the likeness of James Bond and anything related to the 007 franchise in video games.

To call EA the worst company in America solely on the basis of the NFL exclusivity arrangement and a video game one doesn't like is short-sighted at best.
Yeah man! Sometimes in October I do something on Sundays that gets me really excited to play a video game of some kind. Then I go to Metacritic and make a rational choice about which game to play. I consider all genres equally, because I have no discernible preferences nor any emotions at all. Even when I do start to feel the stirrings of some kind of irrational urge to play a goddamn NFL game instead of Starcraft or Final Fantasy or WoW or some crappy sequel to a generic shooter that people love for whatever reason, I choke that urge down and go with the best made game in the market.

Also, you are reaching further than normal when you compare Madden to the garbage movie tie-in games. Every once in a great while a licensed game like Goldeneye or Arkham Asylum comes along, but usually those games are just marketing trash that no one should ever expect to be good at all. More than that, people get incredibly excited about their favorite sports franchises in a way that James Bond etc. just can't touch. Sadly, I have a feeling you'll tell me about some friend who gets bizarrely excited every time a Bond movie comes out though, and whose spirits are crushed every time another bad licensed game comes along.

The real point here is that you're satisfied with Madden, at least to the point that you can have fun. That's great - I've felt that way at times, even during the PS3 years. But please stop rationalizing away the notion that other people aren't satisfied with Madden or with EA in general. I don't care that this silly Consumerist poll is unscientific and inconclusive. I don't care that naming EA the Worst Company in America absolutely should NOT be taken literally. The point of all this is that EA has a lot to work on - and that means products and customer service, not just image - in the opinions of many people, not just a vocal minority on OS.
Old 04-12-2013, 12:53 PM   #109
Return of the Faceuary

Fresh Tendrils's Arena

OVR: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucky60
Where did I say that EA was the only? Snickers has absolutely nothing to do with EA/Tib or Madden. You are using a deflective tactic.
----
Sorry, but activision and snickers are not the primary discussion of the thread. Those are just deflections from the primary discussion of the thread. EA's business practices and Mr. Moore's comments.
Well considering that EA won a poll for Worst Company in America how are comparisons to other companies not valid? To in fact name them as Worst company would mean that comparisons to other companies would have had to been made. Considering EA is doing things every other business does then they're in the same boat as everyone else - they're not better or worse than anybody. That's what we're saying.

Old 04-12-2013, 12:56 PM   #110
Return of the Faceuary

Fresh Tendrils's Arena

OVR: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by rootofalleli

Also, you are reaching further than normal when you compare Madden to the garbage movie tie-in games. Every once in a great while a licensed game like Goldeneye or Arkham Asylum comes along, but usually those games are just marketing trash that no one should ever expect to be good at all. More than that, people get incredibly excited about their favorite sports franchises in a way that James Bond etc. just can't touch. Sadly, I have a feeling you'll tell me about some friend who gets bizarrely excited every time a Bond movie comes out though, and whose spirits are crushed every time another bad licensed game comes along.
Have you seen a Star Wars/Halo/Star Trek/Etc midnight release? Or comic book conventions? There are people out there who have passions just as comparable to sports fanatics.

Old 04-12-2013, 12:57 PM   #111

ubernoob's Arena

OVR: 24
Quote:
Have you seen a Star Wars/Halo/Star Trek/Etc midnight release? Or comic book conventions? There are people out there who have passions just as comparable to sports fanatics.
I'd say they surpass sports fanatics, to be honest.
Battle.Net BTag -ubernoob#1403

Twitch
Old 04-12-2013, 01:02 PM   #112
MVP

OVR: 5

Quote:
Well considering that EA won a poll for Worst Company in America how are comparisons to other companies not valid? To in fact name them as Worst company would mean that comparisons to other companies would have had to been made. Considering EA is doing things every other business does then they're in the same boat as everyone else - they're not better or worse than anybody. That's what we're saying.
I guess, using some critical thinking, and taking more from the unscientific poll then just taking it at face value, like Mr, Moore's comments and why EA would do so poorly in even an unscientific poll. If all you get out or the poll and Mr Moore's comments is "EA really isn't the worst company in America", your missing the point of the thread, and the article associated with the poll. Other companies have nothing to do with EA being a good or bad company. Other companies have nothing to do with Mr. Moore's attitude displayed in the article.

« Operation Sports Forums > The News Desk > Operation Sports Content »