Home

The Extinction of the Single Player Experience?

This is a discussion on The Extinction of the Single Player Experience? within the Operation Sports Content and Other News forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > The News Desk > Operation Sports Content and Other News
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-27-2013, 03:43 PM   #17
Rookie

OVR: 1
This is the thing I feel like most critics of mp online experiences seem to miss... It's not always about playing random strangers who glitch and the b word that rhymes with glitch their way to victory. It's about me living in Chicago but playing against my lil brother in Tampa and my best friend in Baltimore and my bitter rival from the south side..... Helping to maintain and in some rare cases create good relationships is what makes mp superior to SP. I agree with the writer that SP still has its merits, but the VG industry is spot on to focus most of its efforts on improving MP experiences. Video killed the radio star and the Internet killed the video star. Just is what it is.
Old 06-27-2013, 03:46 PM   #18
Rookie

OVR: 0
There is nothing to worry about. As long as there is demand for single player games, there will be a supply.
Old 06-27-2013, 03:51 PM   #19
Rookie

cdh72469's Arena

OVR: 5
I have to comment as an "old" gamer dating way back and since I have a family, work and all the responsibilities and time that entails my gaming time is at a premium so I play when I can but mostly these days my 360 and PS3 sit in the cabinet waiting...So the idea of having to find someone online in order to play a game is not something I see doing.
Old 06-27-2013, 03:52 PM   #20
Rookie

ReadyForTheShow's Arena

OVR: 3
As long as I can play these multiplayer versions alone I am ok. For instance NCAA Online Dynasty can be played alone and it's at the point where both are similar. I haven't played in a few years but last time I checked the only difference may have been create a player in recruiting classes? If they do it where nothing is missed or "dumbed down" and like I said, it can be played alone, without others, then there's nothing wrong with it all being 'multiplayer' in my view.
Old 06-27-2013, 03:53 PM   #21
MVP

prowler's Arena

OVR: 11
Of course it makes sense of a company like EA to embrace the always online experience, they are a publicly traded company. They have to constantly generate earnings quarterly and annually. Being always online allows them greater security over microtransactions as well as the ability to force gamers to purchase a newer game by shutting off the servers of the older game; both of which generate lots of money.

I can't speak for all of the companies mentioned but Bethesda (and it's parent company Zenimax) are privately-held companies. This is why they can spend half a decade building an immersive single player game, there are no shareholders breathing down their necks impatiently awaiting their dividends.

As long as their are privately-held companies and publicly traded companies like Costco (different industry, same principle) that put customers before shareholders, the single player experience is far from extinct.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-27-2013, 04:08 PM   #22
MVP

OVR: 30
Personally, I don't believe SP is going away. Videogames' core is SP and there are tons of SP gamers who prefer to stay that way, including myself, so if it is to ever be phased out, so will millions of dollars.

But like I said, I don't believe it will go away. SP is also a great escape for many of us to get away from society for a while and get lost mentally in a videogame, just like many of us do with watching a movie at home. Even many online gamers elike to switch up and play a more cinematic SP game here and there. It's a great option and no need for the industry to burn that bridge.
Old 06-27-2013, 04:51 PM   #23
MVP

Gramps91's Arena

OVR: 22
Single player is the only way for me. I hate multiplayer it's ruining all of my favorite gaming franchises.
Old 06-27-2013, 06:18 PM   #24
Rookie

OVR: 2
I am a lot older at 64 then other players. I love the single player mode and do care for the MP mode. I love playing against the computer or playing with my grandson. It is a time of relaxing playing my Xbox and getting away from the busy world. At 64 I am not that good in the MP mode. I still play games with my grandson on the old Xbox and the 360. To old to change! Keep SP!

« Operation Sports Forums > The News Desk > Operation Sports Content and Other News »