Home

The Time is Now for Online Co-op in Sports Games

This is a discussion on The Time is Now for Online Co-op in Sports Games within the Operation Sports Content and Other News forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > The News Desk > Operation Sports Content and Other News
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-16-2013, 02:00 PM   #1
Executive Editor

RaychelSnr's Arena

OVR: 57
The Time is Now for Online Co-op in Sports Games

Photo: Ragesoss

One is the loneliest number that you’ll ever do.”

Three Dog Night really did say it best.

When it comes to sports video games, one is seriously the loneliest number possible, as all experiences are often best experienced with another. Unfortunately, sports gaming developers do not allow for cooperative play online with friends on a large scale.

While I am a huge advocate of the single player storyline sticking around for as long as possible, I also feel that it is about time that developers step up and recognize the importance of incorporating online co-op into the world of sports video games on a deeper and more substantial level.

Read More - The Time is Now for Online Co-op in Sports Games
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-16-2013, 02:31 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 14
Good article. I remember Back on the original xbox me and my friends always used to start up fantasy drafts on madden and pick our players and go through a whole season or 2 in 2 nights. I always chose Dawkins and he always chose Keith Bullock. Those were the good ole days.

Would love to still be able to do that even though I live in Philly and he is now down in Florida. Seems like there shouldnt be a problem to implement it in all reality. I def expect in on next gen.
Old 08-16-2013, 04:04 PM   #3
Rookie

UnusualMattyB's Arena

OVR: 12
Agreed. Would love more of a co-op mode related to franchise situations. I think it would make games that I usually don't buy, worth trying out as it would actually make them interesting to me. Good stuff.
Old 08-16-2013, 04:11 PM   #4
Banned

OVR: 0
Co-op is good for the Younger group...but hope they at sometime never forget the Old Guys, that play single player or offline, if i had to only play online!!!! i would stop buying video games Today.....
Old 08-16-2013, 05:35 PM   #5
Banned

It's too much of a pain to depend on other people.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-16-2013, 06:23 PM   #6
Rookie

you have to remember that it's not just "other" people you are depending on. Its most likely your buddies. While i agree the older we get with families, etc, its harder to put aside time for gaming, but having co-op seasons in madden should not be hard.

heck ea NHL does this with EASHL. Imaging if madden did that, even just playing the computer. 2,3 or 4 guys could all get online together and play a season on a team and play against the computer. Really shouldnt be that hard to implement and i expect it next gen as well
Old 08-16-2013, 07:29 PM   #7
MVP

shogunofharlem3's Arena

OVR: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by footballfan41
Co-op is good for the Younger group...but hope they at sometime never forget the Old Guys, that play single player or offline, if i had to only play online!!!! i would stop buying video games Today.....
Great article. Just the opposite for me Footballfan41. As a 35 year old gamer my buddies and I are all married and moved away from the neighborhood. Countless, and I mean COUNTLESS, hours were spent playing coop franchise in NHL 2k series. We used to do coop on All Star Baseball 2001 as well.

For guys like me, we played coop all the time. My one buddy and I did about 5 seasons in NHL 2k10 when they introduced 2 person online coop. It was like old times, but 30 miles away.

The whole game picked up NHL 13 and played 5 vs the CPU in GM Connected. It was great.

I agree that I hope coop is explored and expanded on further in the next gen. It is what keeps old bucks like me still gaming and having a few beers with a headset on qualifies as not drinking alone.......at least that is what I keep telling my wife.
Old 08-17-2013, 04:30 AM   #8
Rookie

This can't be said enough.
"Great article."

With friends living out of town playing online coop is vital for any game I play now.
While playing competitive with friends can be fun , one of you will be better at a game and it sucks the fun out of the game pretty quick if you lose over and over.
For a team sport game like Madden this would be a great feature.Connected career is a great mode , now think of having one of your friends playing the DT the other playing MLB and you playing the FS in a superstar connected career on the same team.It is almost unbelievable that this hasn't happened yet.American Football is 11 vs 11 and yet we play 1 vs 1 online.EA prides it self with the "in the game" quotes all the time, well football would be pretty crappy sport it if was played 1 vs 1 on the field.

I wish more developers would focus on things like coop and more players at once in sport games.
But instead the developers always try to push the each system graphics to the limit.With each passing system generation the graphics improve , but you always stay same(or less) with players on the field.Madden 94 you could have 5 players on a team, almost 20 years later guess what 5 players max on each team.With all the leaps and bounds of technology since then , you would think that would have changed.

« Operation Sports Forums > The News Desk > Operation Sports Content and Other News »