Home

Breaking It Down: Who Will Bring College Sports Back?

This is a discussion on Breaking It Down: Who Will Bring College Sports Back? within the Operation Sports Content and Other News forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > The News Desk > Operation Sports Content and Other News
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-25-2014, 09:56 PM   #17
Hall Of Fame

ggsimmonds's Arena

OVR: 7
"viable list of candidates to bring college sports back to video games, the results were much more profound than you may expect.
Candidate Number One: The Big Name Publisher"

Not exactly what I expected from a 'list ofcandidates'

Also, "The NCAA series made EA a significant amount of money"
Source? Do you have any actual figures?
Old 02-26-2014, 08:01 AM   #18
I'm not on InstantFace.

Cardot's Arena

OVR: 22
Re: Breaking It Down: Who Will Bring College Sports Back?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericromain
I remember playing a lot of Super Play Action Football for SNES where it had the NFL, but you could also play College or High School, and you entered your own custom name and picked your team's helmet/jersey/pant colors. Kind of crude by today's standards
Yeah, I would like to see EA or 2K at least take a shot of doing this again. With all the online sharing tools that are now available, it seems like a viable option.

And with all the money they would be saving on licensing, seems like a low risk. Not to mention they wouldn't have to invest the money and time into naming and ranking all the players.
Old 02-26-2014, 08:20 AM   #19
Rookie

Kentucky_Wildcat23's Arena

OVR: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardot
Yeah, I would like to see EA or 2K at least take a shot of doing this again. With all the online sharing tools that are now available, it seems like a viable option.

And with all the money they would be saving on licensing, seems like a low risk. Not to mention they wouldn't have to invest the money and time into naming and ranking all the players.
I think the best option would be someone publishing the game with current uniforms, stadiums/arenas, and ESPN features, but giving the buyers full control to customize rosters/coaches and the easy ability to share them to avoid the company being sued for players claiming to be used in the game.
Old 02-26-2014, 11:00 AM   #20
Rookie

OVR: 0
Here's a neat trick you can do with 2K14: go to Create Player. Create a list of players that you want to incorporate from the college season (or upload from 2K share). Then go to Create Teams. It's not the exact jerseys, but you can create college teams with those players. Lastly, go to your Offline Association and start a new season, and you can add in your created players on those teams, as well as put only those teams in either the Eastern or Western conference. It's not quite 2K College Hoops, but still kind of fun.
Old 02-26-2014, 11:04 AM   #21
Rookie

I still play EA's NCAA 10 BB from time to time. Played 2K 8 College Hoops, but cannot handle those player models and dated graphics. Game engine is fine, but man, those graphics are horrible now days. NCAA 10 bb is much better if you want to play a college bb game. I wish 2K would go back and just update the graphics and patch 2K8. I don't see how that would violated the NCAA.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-26-2014, 11:05 AM   #22
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by malky
Then it would have been another scrub doing the same thing. It was bound to happen.

Ncaa football will be back, too much money to make with the new playoffs about to kick off. Plus the NBA is about to set the age minimum to 20, so that makes College Basketball more appealing. All of which says Money talks and these knuckleheads will sit down eventually to decide how to slice the pie and BAM, we have another college football and basketball game.
True, I'll give you that one. And you're right, it absolutely is about money.

But now, the issue becomes how much EA/2k is willing to share with the university, and how much the university is gonna give the players. Realistically, I can't see EA/2k wanting to fork over more money to universities, and I can't see universities wanting to fork over the money they receive to their student athletes. Simply put, there's plenty of money to go around and make this thing work, but neither side seems like they're willing to give any of it up.
Old 02-26-2014, 12:25 PM   #23
I'm not on InstantFace.

Cardot's Arena

OVR: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJokester117
Simply put, there's plenty of money to go around and make this thing work, but neither side seems like they're willing to give any of it up.
As much as I enjoyed college basketball games and would love to seem them make a comeback, I don't think they were ever a cash cow.
Old 02-26-2014, 03:18 PM   #24
No Place Better

BenGerman's Arena

OVR: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggsimmonds
"viable list of candidates to bring college sports back to video games, the results were much more profound than you may expect.
Candidate Number One: The Big Name Publisher"

Not exactly what I expected from a 'list ofcandidates'

Also, "The NCAA series made EA a significant amount of money"
Source? Do you have any actual figures?
What exactly did you expect? I went on to list big name publishers that fit under that category. If you want a full list of big name publishers, that's pretty easy to find online.

Here's a source, if you wanted to see it: http://www.forbes.com/sites/rogergro...hout-the-ncaa/

Gamertag (Xbox One): Bengerman 1031
PSN Name: BadNewsBen

Twitter: @BadNewsBenV
Twitch: www.Twitch.TV/Bengerman10

« Operation Sports Forums > The News Desk > Operation Sports Content and Other News »