Home

Sports Video Game Uniforms Aren't Simple to Make

This is a discussion on Sports Video Game Uniforms Aren't Simple to Make within the Operation Sports Content and Other News forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > The News Desk > Operation Sports Content and Other News
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-03-2014, 02:53 PM   #1
Executive Editor

RaychelSnr's Arena

OVR: 57
Sports Video Game Uniforms Aren't Simple to Make

Believe it or not, the uniforms we all take for granted actually take a serious amount of work to get just right. Check out Owen Good's latest article over at Polygon to get the full scoop:

Quote:
"You wouldn't think it, but the uniform files in MLB The Show are really quite large, said Jody Kelsey, the game's senior producer. "It's technically possible to patch them in," after the game releases, "but the size of them deters us from doing that."

The size of them is also why, for the supporting cast of 60 minor league teams — which most players encounter in a career mode where they can't choose what they wear each game — just the home and away uniforms are rendered. No ugly Christmas sweater promotions, no R2-D2 jerseys and, alas, no bacon."

How important are uniforms to you in sports games?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-03-2014, 04:36 PM   #2
Pro

rynecandy's Arena

OVR: 8
Next year add the ability to wear multiple styles on the field at once....just ask Cubs' Junior Lake.
Old 04-03-2014, 05:43 PM   #3
MVP

elgreazy1's Arena

OVR: 28
Nice read. Hopefully, people on here will be more understanding before raging over lack of uniforms - probably not.
Old 04-03-2014, 05:51 PM   #4
MVP

strawberryshortcake's Arena

OVR: 3
Having massive resources, details and textures for sports uniform is great, but my main concern has always been fit.

As a fan of MLB the Show, its a great looking game, nice lighting. But one of my biggest concern has always been the fit around the shoulder area--the shoulders loses its "roundness" or "fullness" whenever the player would move his arms towards the center of the body. Seemingly as if the player loses supporting musculature and skeletal tissue. Yes, the shape changes in real life but not to the extent that I've seen represented in the show. Hoping for truly better models in upcoming future installments.
Old 04-03-2014, 09:42 PM   #5
MVP

Iceman87GT's Arena

OVR: 15
I can understand the problems with patching them in, what is frustrating is when uniforms that have been worn in previous seasons (often on multiple occasions) aren't in the next year's game. I get not being able to patch them in for X year but they should still make it into the game for Y year and if for whatever reason they don't make it in then, they should be in in Z year.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-03-2014, 11:58 PM   #6
Madden Dev Team

DeuceDouglas's Arena

OVR: 22
It just seems like a total shame that despite the fact that they talk about all the time it takes to build and complete the uniforms correctly, that they are still so far off despite all the time that is put into them. I mean, just in the lead picture for the article there is inaccuracies with just about every major part of the uniform showing. No nameplate, incorrect stripe proportions, incorrect name font, incorrect number font/proportions, arching issues. How can so much time be put into the uniforms in the entire cycle and yet so many obvious things are off? But one thing that is extremely noticeable is the stitching on the numbers and letters which is something that is hardly noticeable when looking at your average photo. I think maybe if they worried a little bit more about the accuracy of things to just the naked eye and less about the things you see under a super powered microscope, things would be better on a whole.
Old 04-04-2014, 03:48 AM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 0
this is no excuse for getting a teams uniform completely wrong. look at NBA 2k. they actually add in jerseys for teams on Christmas day and such events. you are telling me SCEA cant get the Color scheme right? or I don't know, use their actual jerseys that they wear for home games instead of using a jersey they used one time for a 80's throwback game because they weren't around back then? (talking about Tampa Bay Rays). WE ARE IN NEXT GEN GUYS. things aren't as limited as they were before.
Old 04-04-2014, 06:49 AM   #8
Banned

Profit89's Arena

OVR: 8
That's why you get paid the big bucks... If it were simple we wouldn't need developers.

« Operation Sports Forums > The News Desk > Operation Sports Content and Other News »