Home

The Great White Whale of Sports Gaming: Realism

This is a discussion on The Great White Whale of Sports Gaming: Realism within the Operation Sports Content forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > The News Desk > Operation Sports Content
NBA Live 19 Review
NBA 2K19 Review
NASCAR Heat 3 Review

Old 06-22-2014, 12:38 PM   #25
Hall Of Fame

LingeringRegime's Arena

OVR: 47
Re: The Great White Whale of Sports Gaming: Realism

Quote:
Originally Posted by dukebeatsuncagain
Everyone should go back to playing NFL2k5 then.

Everyone seems to know exactly what they are going to get before even playing it, so just go back to your PS2 and have a nice day.

I can bet almost 99% of people who come on here and compiling about Madden, or any other game for that matter, will STILL buy the game.

And if course come on here and bog down message boards with complaints.

I dare you to not buy it.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk
Dare accepted.

I won't buy Madden and didn't for the majority of the last console generation.

I did buy it this year because it was a new console generation and wanted to give them the benefit of the doubt. It was a fairly good game, by Madden standards.

I was planning on buying it this year until....

One of the Madden Devs challenged 2K knowing that EA had the exclusive license. That rubbed me the wrong way, and so I will stay away from Madden and stick with Beyond The Sideline Football. http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/newsletters/nl0134/

Really looking forward to it.
Old 06-22-2014, 12:47 PM   #26
MVP

OVR: 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by The JareBear
I'm not sure this article truly encompasses the legitimate reaction to EA UFC so far. People saying the controls are tough, which I honestly haven't seen much of at all, and people saying it's unrealistic for someone to take 20 head kicks and keep coming, I mean, it's totally different arguments.

I will admit that with Madden, well, it gets more complicated. This article is accurate there. People are already complaining that they aren't seeing the defense cover routes well in the videos yet I'm sure if the routes were covered "too well" we would be going through the "psychic DB" outcry all over again. I concede that EA has a hard job trying to please everyone there. Again, with Madden, it's complicated.

With EA UFC, it's not. It's simple. Very simple.

Did EA try to makes a sports game or an arcade fighting game? You tell me.

Whatever the answer is changes the perspective entirely.

EA always create arcade fighters, none of their fighting games are sports games. Fans are force fed bits and pieces of realism. The producers said in an interview I did before that sim/realism doesn't sell by itself. I asked for proof and a game that proved this; he couldn't.

Last edited by SHAKYR; 06-22-2014 at 12:51 PM.
Old 06-22-2014, 12:59 PM   #27
Banned

dukebeatsuncagain's Arena

OVR: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by LingeringRegime
Dare accepted.

I did buy it this year because it was a new console generation and wanted to give them the benefit of the doubt. It was a fairly good game, by Madden standards.

One of the Madden Devs challenged 2K knowing that EA had the exclusive license. That rubbed me the wrong way, and so I will stay away from Madden and stick with Beyond The Sideline Football. http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/newsletters/nl0134/

Atta' boy.

Old 06-22-2014, 01:18 PM   #28
MVP

OVR: 39
Thumbs up Re: The Great White Whale of Sports Gaming: Realism

Quote:
Originally Posted by LingeringRegime
Dare accepted.

I would love games with the depth that OOTP games provide.
Old 06-22-2014, 02:33 PM   #29
Pro

bxphenom7's Arena

OVR: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodydog
No. Other games/developers have accomplished true progress toward creating a realistic experience. While those games are not perfect, gamers can recognize the effort. 2K, San Diego Studios, Polyphany (Gran Turismo), and Turn 10 have established a history of providing a realistic experience; their games aren't perfect, but their effort is. Consumers can measure the progress when they compare previous games to their current counterparts. When gamers compare Gran Turismo 1 or 2 with Forza 5, we appreciate the past AND we appreciate the present - WE DON'T WISH FOR THE PAST!

Conversely, when many gamers compare the effort demonstrated in NFL 2K5 with the effort displayed in Madden...MANY WISH FOR THE EFFORT OF THE PAST! Simply put, Madden hasn't measured up for years. 2K football might be gone, but thanks to the lackluster effort of EA since they have had exclusivity, 2K5 is far from forgotten. It is what it is.
Well said. If Madden was so good, we wouldn't look to the past. No one does this with The Show or NBA 2k because for the most part they keep the series moving forward.
Old 06-22-2014, 02:59 PM   #30
Rookie

OVR: 5
the issue is maintaning realism while keeping the controls somewhat feasible. ufc has realism but in attaining that realism the controls are strenuous. and goodydog is correct about effort not being the same but the difference is the sponsor system too. when playstation was the sponsor system madden was better. but now xbox systems are the sponsor system things have not been the same. screw the sponsor system and develop the game on the system that will produce the best product then cross platform it
Old 06-22-2014, 03:10 PM   #31
Rookie

Balla Da Le Playa's Arena

OVR: 0

The way to go when making a game is to include as many options as possible.
The more choices the better. Then the individual can custom his (or her) game
to be as sim or arcade as they choose.

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-22-2014, 03:59 PM   #32
Banned

dukebeatsuncagain's Arena

OVR: 24

I also think that the more control you give the user means less realistic.

OOTP is a TRUE sim.

To make things more realistic you need to put all emphasis on ratings and little to none impact from user input.

« Operation Sports Forums > The News Desk > Operation Sports Content »