Should All Sports Games Release on PC? (Roundtable) - Operation Sports Forums

Should All Sports Games Release on PC? (Roundtable)

This is a discussion on Should All Sports Games Release on PC? (Roundtable) within the Operation Sports Content forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > The News Desk > Operation Sports Content
Old 08-17-2014, 11:08 AM   #1
Executive Editor
MMChrisS's Arena
OVR: 57
Should All Sports Games Release on PC? (Roundtable)

After seeing the impressive screenshot from NBA 2K15 for PC, should all big sports titles begin development for gaming PCs?

Read More - Should All Sports Games Release on PC? (Roundtable)

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-17-2014, 11:18 AM   #2
OVR: 0
They should absolutely all be released for PC. I understand the piracy concerns, but by making great online modes and other features that encourage players to participate online (where pirated games have difficulty tricking security), developers can greatly reduce players' desire to get by with pirated copies.
Old 08-17-2014, 11:29 AM   #3
OVR: 2
From a business standpoint I completely understand not doing it. Piracy is extremely real in the PC gaming world. Sure online users still have to pay up but in today's world, you can play almost any PC single player game for free if you find it. I also don't think the market is there like it is in consoles. Both madden and fifa for PC have displayed marginal improvements year to year while the consoles versions get all the TLC. I'd love for all sports games to be released on PC but i think it's pretty obvious that no development team looks at PC gaming like they do consoles.
Old 08-17-2014, 11:49 AM   #4
OVR: 2
Re: Should All Sports Games Release on PC? (Roundtable)

I donīt care, if e.g PES has licensed teams or not. An thats why, I donīt care of the mods for that game.
Iīm more interested in Gameplay of that game.

So, yes. All sport-games should be released on PC. Because I care more about gameplay as the licence.
BUT the PC-Version should have good/better graphics as the console-versions. Since PC is always stronger as the consoles.

I donīt mind, that they released a PC-Version every 2-3 years. I always bought sport-games the same rotation.
Old 08-17-2014, 11:57 AM   #5
The answer to this one is a resounding YES. It's a no-brainer in my opinion.

Everyone benefits from a strong presence on an open platform such as a PC. It filters down to the every other platform. Gamer fatigue is setting in for the sports genre, and Mods and Editing should be fostered to keep these games relevant and fresh. It's understandable people feel ripped off, editing options on consoles seem to be getting less and less in the sports genre. There is more exclusivity and licensing deals in the sports genre than any other by far. It's us the gamers who lose in the end with these deals.

Further. I never understood companies who provide a subpar service on a platform, and then say we can't bring it there anymore for business reason. Well, no kidding, you treat them like second class citizens, and then wonder.

Gabe Newell:

"We think there is a fundamental misconception about piracy. Piracy is almost always a service problem and not a pricing problem," he said. "If a pirate offers a product anywhere in the world, 24 x 7, purchasable from the convenience of your personal computer, and the legal provider says the product is region-locked, will come to your country 3 months after the US release, and can only be purchased at a brick and mortar store, then the pirate's service is more valuable."

The proof is in the proverbial pudding. "Prior to entering the Russian market, we were told that Russia was a waste of time because everyone would pirate our products. Russia is now about to become [Steam's] largest market in Europe," Newell said.

People actually want to pay.
Old 08-17-2014, 12:07 PM   #6
The Golf Club is an amazing example of the greatness that is achievable on an open platform such as the PC. Everyone needs to support this game imo. A game that belongs to the gamers. We shaped it, on Steam Early Access, and now we get to run with it. And everyone will benefit from this (cross-platform sharing). Everyone!
Old 08-17-2014, 12:11 PM   #7
iloveparkmin's Arena
sure if those sports games coming to PC version. it not a problem to me because i am more into console (ps4) than PC..
Old 08-17-2014, 01:13 PM   #8
Iceman87GT's Arena
OVR: 15
I would say a yearly PC release would be a bad business decision for some sports but it would certainly be welcomed by the community.

I think it's about time for another Madden release (last one being 08), but I wouldn't be surprised if that affected sales for the console versions (and with the modding community being what it is I don't think they could rely on releasing a PC version on Madden yearly to offset the costs which is why I'd suggest not doing yearly releases).

I would have loved if NCAA had gotten a recent PC release, the modding community would keep us occupied while we wait for
things to settle with the series. Though some are working on an ability to mod the console version which may even allow for uniform updates about other things (currently you can rig a playoff system), the bummer being you'd have to have a nodded console (which means another $160 to me, whereas if it was a mode PC game I wouldn't need to spend any more money)

Got a little bit ramble-y with this but basically: it would be great but not exactly the best business model.

« Operation Sports Forums > The News Desk > Operation Sports Content »