Home

Expectations, Scores, and the Sports Gaming Review

This is a discussion on Expectations, Scores, and the Sports Gaming Review within the Operation Sports Content and Other News forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > The News Desk > Operation Sports Content and Other News
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-19-2014, 09:41 PM   #9
Rookie

HarrySTruman's Arena

OVR: 0
In theory, I'm all in favor of using the "whole range" of a grading curve. But in reality, American grading systems run from 50 to 100, or even 70 to 100. In American schools, a 55 is not "average"; it's an F. So when I see you give NHL 15 a 55, my impression is that you've given it an F. Maybe I'll take the time to read your grading rubric to discover that you think a 55 is a C or a B- or something; but maybe I won't. If you think it's "average," why don't you use letter grades and give it a C, or a C-plus, or whatever letter grade you think reflects "average"?
Old 09-20-2014, 01:02 PM   #10
Pro

bxphenom7's Arena

OVR: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood88
Great read. And you touched on something that I'm surprised the masses have not picked up on. My beef is two part. First is obvious. The missing modes, the secrecy, the lies that were uttered, all in the hope that the questions would go away and you would just buy the damn game. Worst, for people who don't follow the development of games. Those people were straight up burned. But that's was EA wanted. If they truly cared about the consumer they would have put the game out at a much lower price to justify the lack of modes.

Second part and this burns me more is the people who bought the game that knew it was watered down because they just had to have a hockey game. Those people are truly hurting the evolution of sports video games because they are telling EA through their purchase that they can get away with this kind of nonsense and the followers will just buy anything put out. Once you make that purchase ea wins and the sports gaming community loses. So buying it and then saying that the game is no good or boring or there's not much to do doesnt help the sports gaming market at all. You really think EA is listening. All ea cares about is reporting in their quarterly report to the stock holders that their game exceeded its sales projections. And if it doesn't and the stock price takes a dive, executives notice because it hurts then in their pockets. And thus people who make these horrible decisions get fired.

If you don't like NHL15, do your part and stand up to the corporation and don't buy the game. Don't buy it when it drops in price. If you have to have it buy it used.
This is pretty much my take on EA for all of its games. Then again, I always wait for reviews first so I don't have this problem. Even though NHL 15's gameplay was perceived as quite good, and yes, GAMEPLAY IS KING, doesn't mean it didn't deserve the score it got with all the missing modes. This is why you read reviews, because you would know the gameplay isn't the problem. In a weird way, I'm not disappointed in people who bought NHL 15 because the gameplay is actually fine. Usually people buy games where the modes are present and the gameplay is bad/average just because they "need" a game for their desired sport, something I like to call the Madden problem. Of course, NHL 15 as a whole package is lacking, especially since its 2014 lmao However, I wouldn't fault a hockey fan for getting the game at a REDUCED PRICE, but even as a hockey fan, you're wasting your money getting it full price.
Old 09-20-2014, 06:58 PM   #11
MVP

actionhank's Arena

OVR: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCDX97
Gamers are complaining more now than ever, and reviewers are starting to get in on the act.

NHL 15 has the best graphics and gameplay I've ever seen in a hockey game, but a lot of folks would rather just moan and groan, such fun.
People are moaning and groaning because the gameplay is largely the same as it has been for the past few years, with the same bad AI that they've seen. Every single video i've seen has defensive and offensive AI that doesn't look much changed from NHL12 to 14. Their Next-Gen release was delayed by an extra year, and yet outside of the graphics (that are miles beyond what the old systems offered) and commentary (from what i've heard, there seems to be a lot of dead space, though a chance is welcomed) the gameplay doesn't look much different, and there's actually fewer game modes than before. People just get bothered when we get a whole video devoted to the new way fans pose for selfies and wear silly costumes, and seemingly no time devoted to getting your AI team mates to actually skate in with you on a 3 on 1 break instead of stopping at the blue line.

If you're enjoying it, great. But don't act like the increased complaints are from people just "complaining more" like they do it for fun, and instead realize it's because there are more people being frustrated than i've ever seen around here previously when it comes to an EA NHL release.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-20-2014, 11:00 PM   #12
R**k**

druez's Arena

OVR: 13
I don't post often. But, this deserves a comment. Thank you OS, for being honest. Yes, hockey gameplay is a nice upgrade, yes the graphics look great. But, EA really tried to pull a fast one on us all. My buddies and I play in the EASHL. We all moved to Next Gen last year on release. We've played FIFA on Next Gen in the soccer version of EASHL. Anyway, we were all about to pull the trigger and waited all year for the Next Gen version of NHL 15. Luckily, I have the EA Access thing and noticed the game modes weren't in there, including the live the life mode. We all stopped our preorders and didn't pick up the game. (6 copies in total).

Its just not ok, not to include modes on an upgrade like this anymore. They even took 2 years to put out a next gen version. Sorry EA, but this was lame. There is no excuse for them to leave the modes out.
Old 09-21-2014, 04:34 PM   #13
Rookie

half-fast's Arena

OVR: 1
Re: Expectations, Scores, and the Sports Gaming Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood88
Great read. And you touched on something that I'm surprised the masses have not picked up on. My beef is two part. First is obvious. The missing modes, the secrecy, the lies that were uttered, all in the hope that the questions would go away and you would just buy the damn game. Worst, for people who don't follow the development of games. Those people were straight up burned. But that's was EA wanted. If they truly cared about the consumer they would have put the game out at a much lower price to justify the lack of modes.

Second part and this burns me more is the people who bought the game that knew it was watered down because they just had to have a hockey game. Those people are truly hurting the evolution of sports video games because they are telling EA through their purchase that they can get away with this kind of nonsense and the followers will just buy anything put out. Once you make that purchase ea wins and the sports gaming community loses. So buying it and then saying that the game is no good or boring or there's not much to do doesnt help the sports gaming market at all. You really think EA is listening. All ea cares about is reporting in their quarterly report to the stock holders that their game exceeded its sales projections. And if it doesn't and the stock price takes a dive, executives notice because it hurts then in their pockets. And thus people who make these horrible decisions get fired.

If you don't like NHL15, do your part and stand up to the corporation and don't buy the game. Don't buy it when it drops in price. If you have to have it buy it used.
Great post. I totally agree, and even though it was hard in some respects, I didnt purchase the game. I felt it represented almost everything wrong with EA, market cornering and game development in general.
Old 09-21-2014, 04:38 PM   #14
Rookie

half-fast's Arena

Re: Expectations, Scores, and the Sports Gaming Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by actionhank
People are moaning and groaning because the gameplay is largely the same as it has been for the past few years, with the same bad AI that they've seen. Every single video i've seen has defensive and offensive AI that doesn't look much changed from NHL12 to 14. Their Next-Gen release was delayed by an extra year, and yet outside of the graphics (that are miles beyond what the old systems offered) and commentary (from what i've heard, there seems to be a lot of dead space, though a chance is welcomed) the gameplay doesn't look much different, and there's actually fewer game modes than before. People just get bothered when we get a whole video devoted to the new way fans pose for selfies and wear silly costumes, and seemingly no time devoted to getting your AI team mates to actually skate in with you on a 3 on 1 break instead of stopping at the blue line.

If you're enjoying it, great. But don't act like the increased complaints are from people just "complaining more" like they do it for fun, and instead realize it's because there are more people being frustrated than i've ever seen around here previously when it comes to an EA NHL release.
Great points, and to add, casual gamers of a single title, or people that simply dont care for, or notice the intricacies of a game often have a negative opinion of those of us who play the game often and who do notice these details. We are generally people who are sick of the empty-headed AI year after year, and general lack of new features that would add legitimate breadth to help make the title what indeed it is trying to be ... a simulation.
Old 09-22-2014, 03:20 PM   #15
Banned

Grallis,

Not getting the game is hard for me too this year because I love hockey. But not buying it is the right thing. And even though I miss it there is plenty of other next gen options. Like I said. If I need to mess with it I will get it used. Ea will not get a direct purchase from me.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-22-2014, 10:18 PM   #16
Just started!

OVR: 0
‘Kingdom Hearts’ Remake Will Have a Ton of New Features

Kingdom Hearts Cosplay Costumes is the future rebuilding of three activities within the Empire Minds and hearts tale that will be remastered in high-definition and have a ton of new features not found in the unique headings. The three headings that consist of the newest activity are Kingdom Hearts Cosplay Costumes: Last Mix, Empire Minds and hearts – Birth by Sleep: Last Mix and Empire Minds and hearts – Re:coded.The Kingdom Hearts Cosplay Costumes started in 2002 with the unique activity and presented an surprising multiple of Disney and Last Dream figures. The idea seemed like an absolute headache once suggested, but certainly shown to become one of the most successful PlayStation headings in history.
High Quality Cosplay Costumes at CosplayDeal.

« Operation Sports Forums > The News Desk > Operation Sports Content and Other News »