Home

Counter: Single Player is Still Alive and Well

This is a discussion on Counter: Single Player is Still Alive and Well within the Operation Sports Content and Other News forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > The News Desk > Operation Sports Content and Other News
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-03-2015, 07:21 PM   #9
Banned

OVR: 18
Re: Counter: Single Player is Still Alive and Well

I never play anything online after getting schooled by 10 yo kids playing COD. Strictly single player.
Old 02-03-2015, 10:27 PM   #10
Nak Muay

pslieber's Arena

OVR: 5
Glad to see these comments.

I almost never play online, as family obligations + lack of sports gaming friends with a PS4 keep me in single player. Too many exploits, pull the plug antics, and poor sportsmanship online. I simply want to have competitive fun, as crazy as it sounds. I've beaten Top 10 players in NHL...but wanted to throw my controller through the screen afterwards.

I may be a dinosaur, but I'm near-exclusively playing exhibition on NBA Live, NHL, FIFA, MLB The Show, WWE 2K, etc.

Well, I guess that's what OS is for: find like minds. OrngeAlum on PS4.
Old 02-04-2015, 10:36 AM   #11
Pro

Retropyro's Arena

OVR: 8
My biggest concern is, why do any single player modes need to be server dependent? (Obviously so they can sell more VC or similar currency). A single player game should never need to be connected to a server.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-05-2015, 12:02 AM   #12
Rookie

OaklandFanatic's Arena

OVR: 0
I rarely play online if ever. I hate playing little kids coz they're annoying. I play for the single player parts of the game anyways.
Old 02-05-2015, 02:15 AM   #13
MVP

bigwill33's Arena

OVR: 13
Single player modes like franchise are still popular because developers haven't come close to perfecting online franchise modes in sports games. Not only have they not perfected them, they haven't even made them functional for the most part in games like NHL and MLB.

When Rammer came here and spewed statistics about the online franchise mode not being as popular as they had anticipated at EA NHL, he failed to recognize that the mode itself was very buggy, lagged, and contained a menu system that was so cumbersome it ruined the experience for most users to the point that they gave up on the mode altogether.

If these gaming companies would allocate the proper resources into online play the user demand would likely follow. There will always be a contingency of players that prefer to play along against a CPU, but that desire has historically stemmed from a lack of ability and option to do otherwise.
Old 02-05-2015, 11:57 AM   #14
Rookie

OVR: 0
I am a single player mode gamer as well. However, I will say that I do enjoy playing in online leagues with my friends. The NCAA Football Online Dynasty mode has been a great enjoyment. I DO NOT want to play against people I don't know as to avoid the cheesing issues or irritation that comes with it. But to be able to enjoy a dynasty or season amongst friends is a welcomed experience. I was very disappointed to lose the Online League option from the NHL series. Myself and 5 other friends loved the enjoyment of running our on teams and playing against each other. We knew each other wouldn't try and cheese or glitch cheat through our games.

My biggest hope is to see MLB The Show be able to begin a Dynasty League with just my friends and I, while the other teams are CPU. If they could make that an online experience rivaling the offline then I think we'd be all in. Also if it was able to be moved along on new iterations of the Show, I think that would be a higher seller on the experience, also.
Old 02-06-2015, 01:33 PM   #15
Tecmo Super Bowl = GOAT

charter04's Arena

OVR: 21
I think single player modes are here to stay too. I do think they should use the online component to enhance the single player experience. As far as Madden goes, I think the enhanced playcalling that uses the online play calling is a start. All sports games should also have a way to play the ghost or VIP of any player. I would love to set up a offline franchise of any sports game and download VIP playstyles and playcalling for every team. Things like this would make sports games much more organic.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-06-2015, 01:36 PM   #16
Tecmo Super Bowl = GOAT

charter04's Arena

OVR: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseIH
Im am 100% single player, and have no use to ever play multi player or anything other than franchise modes in sports games. Im glad too see that Im not in the minority, cause if you listen to some of the online guys around here, they seem to think that online is all that matters, so great to see those little kids are wrong after all.
I mostly play online CFM in Madden. No need to call people "kids" who prefer online to offline.

« Operation Sports Forums > The News Desk > Operation Sports Content and Other News »