Home

Sports Gaming Subscription Model Roundtable

This is a discussion on Sports Gaming Subscription Model Roundtable within the Operation Sports Content forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > The News Desk > Operation Sports Content
Breaking Down FIFA 19's New Features
NBA 2K League Player Power Rankings (Pre-Playoffs)
NBA Live 19 Introduces The One Court - Allowing Fans to Create and Customize Their Own Courts

Old 11-15-2017, 01:41 PM   #9
Pro

spoofrice11's Arena

OVR: 3
I will not be paying for a game after I already bought it.
I don't buy* every year already, since I play NBA, NFL, and NHL and like to get thru multiple seasons of my Offline Franchise mode.
So if this is where you have to pay more thanonce I would not be interested. I don't play each game enough for it to be worth it.
Old 11-15-2017, 04:55 PM   #10
Rookie

Durrl Brakes's Arena

OVR: 0
I cannot fathom the idea of not owning a copy. I not only play sports game .but also have been an avid collector of 2k, Madden and the Show since each titles inception.* I even go out of the way to buy the old games for $2 -$10 bucks a pop* when I can find them at local retailers.* I am afraid this strategy will only price out great titles and the days of games today to be tomorrows nostalgia for the next generation of kids and adults will be no more...I guess I'm just trying to hold on to simple more cost effective times.
Old 11-16-2017, 10:57 AM   #11
Hall Of Fame

Phobia's Arena

OVR: 63
Re: Sports Gaming Subscription Model Roundtable

Over the last 3 years I've moved completely away from consoles and back to PC gaming. This matters because EA doesn't bring any of their sports games to PC but Fifa so if that trend continues then I'm done with all sport games.

I have to many games I enjoy playing which don't feature any type of subscription model and I won't jump on that train now. EA created this problem of micro-transactions when Madden Ultimate team took off. They saw people were willing to drop real cash in hopes of improving their team, thus the pay to win model was created. This has now impregnated various titles from CS:GO Skins, H1Z1 loot crates, Hearthstone card decks, to naturally the sports gaming landscape aka EA Sports. It's a very troubling trend that isn't going away anytime soon.

Gamers continue to complain about it, but until they stop taking part in it (spending money) companies will continue to try to nickle & dime the industry.

Phobia Twitter - Follow Me

Phobia YouTube - Subscribe

Steam ID - STEAM_0:1:20467578
PSN - OS_Phobia
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-17-2017, 02:31 AM   #12
#chooe2018

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45
Re: Sports Gaming Subscription Model Roundtable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phobia
Over the last 3 years I've moved completely away from consoles and back to PC gaming. This matters because EA doesn't bring any of their sports games to PC but Fifa so if that trend continues then I'm done with all sport games.

I have to many games I enjoy playing which don't feature any type of subscription model and I won't jump on that train now. EA created this problem of micro-transactions when Madden Ultimate team took off. They saw people were willing to drop real cash in hopes of improving their team, thus the pay to win model was created. This has now impregnated various titles from CS:GO Skins, H1Z1 loot crates, Hearthstone card decks, to naturally the sports gaming landscape aka EA Sports. It's a very troubling trend that isn't going away anytime soon.

Gamers continue to complain about it, but until they stop taking part in it (spending money) companies will continue to try to nickle & dime the industry.
Not quite, EA lifted the concept from mobile gaming by-and-large. Loot box mechanics also were commonplace in Japanese and Korean MMORPGs long before any game included them stateside, console or mobile. In addition, Zynga had a hand in popularizing the model stateside well before EA touched it with their free-to-play games on Facebook such as Zynga Poker, YoVille, and FarmVille.

Point being, EA absolutely wasn't the industry leader on this. Rather, they saw where the industry was going and went with that flow, just like literally every other AAA publisher has at this point.

« Operation Sports Forums > The News Desk > Operation Sports Content »