Home

State Legislators in Hawaii Looking at Loot Boxes as Potential Illegal Gambling

This is a discussion on State Legislators in Hawaii Looking at Loot Boxes as Potential Illegal Gambling within the Operation Sports Content and Other News forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > The News Desk > Operation Sports Content and Other News
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-27-2017, 12:21 PM   #1
Executive Editor

RaychelSnr's Arena

OVR: 57
State Legislators in Hawaii Looking at Loot Boxes as Potential Illegal Gambling

It seems that video gaming is about to come under some regulatory pressure from at least...

Written By: Chris Sanner

Click here to view the article.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-27-2017, 12:42 PM   #2
Pro

Retropyro's Arena

OVR: 8
No one should want politicians and government getting involved in what is and isn't allowed in gaming.
Old 11-27-2017, 02:38 PM   #3
Rookie

creator2700's Arena

OVR: 0
Nice to see our government hard at work dealing with such important issues... LOL
That said, please make microtransactions illegal. I'd pay $80 for a Madden with a polished franchise mode in a heartbeat!

*Wishing for transparency from game devs since 2017*
Old 11-27-2017, 03:34 PM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 2
Yeah I agree. I don’t want the democratically elected government governing - crazy - what next police policing - might be the silliest comment I’ve ever seen in a forum. *Absolute lunacy. Congrats sir congrats*

brilliant stuff from Hawaii - gambling needs to be regulated especially when it’s so accessible to children.*
Old 11-27-2017, 03:53 PM   #5
Rookie

The problem is the predatory nature of it. When parents purchase a game for their kids, they need to be aware of what's inside. If the gaming industry is preying on children (heck - even those adults that decide to buy in) via the addictive hooks of gambling, it should be noted on the game.*

I think it should be incorporated into the ESRB rating system.

I'm excited to see all of this loot box/card pack garbage getting bad press. It's bad for game design and I think it's bad for the various gaming communities.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-27-2017, 03:53 PM   #6
Rookie

The problem is the predatory nature of it. When parents purchase a game for their kids, they need to be aware of what's inside. If the gaming industry is preying on children (heck - even those adults that decide to buy in) via the addictive hooks of gambling, it should be noted on the game.*

I think it should be incorporated into the ESRB rating system.

I'm excited to see all of this loot box/card pack garbage getting bad press. It's bad for game design and I think it's bad for the various gaming communities.
Old 11-27-2017, 04:10 PM   #7
Rookie

Nothing wrong with government (albeit State government) questioning the way EA and the whole "crate" trend is going. Lots of times in threads on OS, there is constant criticism of the way the games force you to spend real cash just to be competitive. If you are 20, 30, 40 years old, sure you can decide drop money into your gaming, but what if it's a younger kid that has his game linked to a parent's credit card? Also, sure, the industry keeps the price down buy integrating micro-transactions.... well, EA seems to be racking in the cash with this strategy... but, if they are, why are we getting these crappy game iterations (NBA Live 18, Madden no-develoment of franchise mode, etc). Let's get real, "pay to be competitive" is not cool. Anyway, that's my 2 cents.
Old 11-28-2017, 09:08 AM   #8
Fear is the Unknown

jeebs9's Arena

OVR: 34
This is my biggest fear. A parent buy his kid a game. And then the kid spends all of his money on in game stuff.

« Operation Sports Forums > The News Desk > Operation Sports Content and Other News »