Home

With the Success of Ultimate Team Modes, What is the Future of Franchise Modes in Sports Video Games?

This is a discussion on With the Success of Ultimate Team Modes, What is the Future of Franchise Modes in Sports Video Games? within the Operation Sports Content and Other News forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > The News Desk > Operation Sports Content and Other News
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-11-2018, 05:09 PM   #9
MVP

Junior Moe's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: With the Success of Ultimate Team Modes, What is the Future of Franchise Modes in

I've said it before and I'll say it again; I hope these modes continue to be successful. I hope The Show, 2K and Madden continue to see revenue increases. The market has changed and they have to adapt. That being said, with a successful product just don't forget about the other segments of your gamers. Whether you hit franchise hard over a cycle or two, or more incrementally over a longer stretch, give us what we want too. With 2K, I'm at the point where I don't have any major franchise wants. Tuning is honestly what's needed now. I hope the online franchise heads get the full offline offering. The actual gameplay and graphic changes shine through more now as I dive deeper into the game. We're not going to be able to bottle the MUT/MyTeam genie. It's here. Just don't leave the old timers behind in the process.
Old 01-11-2018, 05:14 PM   #10
MVP

Junior Moe's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: With the Success of Ultimate Team Modes, What is the Future of Franchise Modes in

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynastymgrguy
My interests in sports gaming would die if franchise modes became even more stripped down and less engaging. However, today's youth love the thrill of connecting online and facing human opponents (some were born into Ultimate Team as a norm). I see this in my son -- although not for sports, but for games like Battlefield and Battlefront. If it's where the money is, then EA has to keep share holders happy. That's why they're in business. So, do I think Franchise Mode is an endangered species? Not altogether... but it will be VERY VERY interesting to see what EA does with NBA Live later this year. That will tell the tale - and it will be the deciding factor if I pump any more cash into basketball gaming. I'm just old school and gotta have an engaging franchise mode to stay happy.
I saw the same thing with my son. I got him Ghost Recon Wildlands and watched him grin from ear to ear as it installed. Then, jumped strait online with his friends. I played some of the campaign, but I don't think he has ever touched it. Now they're on to PUBG. It's just where the gamers are now. It's an online social thing now.
Old 01-11-2018, 06:18 PM   #11
Pro

garyjr33's Arena

OVR: 13
I can't get into the ultimate team modes if they force me to play other people. I just get so frustrated with the "bought teams" and the cheating and glitching. I have always preferred to play solo in franchise mode, and watch a movie in the background or a sporting event. For the past two years I bought NHL but was very disappointed and traded it in very early. Currently, all I play is the Show. But even that needs a lot added to the franchise mode this year. I really hope that they come through with some solid additions. I enjoyed the Diamond Dynasty mode more than I ever have with the solo challenges/missions.

The solo challenges in Ultimate team for NHL made me buy the game again but they were sorely lacking and the franchise mode is so stale for some reason. I feel that that game plays like/caters to "video game" hockey and not real strategic hockey. I would love to be involved in a robust online franchise mode that does not have severe lag in the NHL series or MLB series. That would be the only way I would be willing to play online with friends again.*
NCAAF: Illinois Fighting Illini, Lafayette
NCCAB: Illinois Fighting Illini, Lafayette
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-11-2018, 09:54 PM   #12
Rookie

OVR: 5
I do realize that now maybe more than 50% of NBA 2K gamers here in China are playing MT mode, and some of them are investing heavily on it. I know a few friends who spent more than 1000 USD *on each 2K title buying card packs.*

but me, as a 2K gamer since 2K1, I never got into these modes. I just want to play using my favorite LAKERS, going through a season just like the team does in real life.*

My favorite mode is actually NBA LIVE 10's dynamic season, where all the stats and rosters get updated each and everyday according to the real NBA season, that made me felt like I was participating the real NBA season. And you can rewind to play some games to change the outcome or re-experience the day. I've always hoped that one day this mode shall return to NBA LIVE or come to NBA 2K, but obviously for many gamers and developers, *it's not important. I understand.*

So please.. Season mode and Franchise mode, don't die.....

Or I'll just have to go to quick game.*
Old 01-11-2018, 11:43 PM   #13
MVP

statum71's Arena

OVR: 61
Of course UT type modes "seem" more popular because for the most part they are played online. Most gamers that play franchise or league modes play them offline.

I personally buy all my sports games to play offline franchise/season or tournament leagues in FIFA.

Don't get rid of franchise mode.
Old 01-12-2018, 12:41 AM   #14
MVP

thescoop's Arena

OVR: 23
If Franchise mode goes away, I stop buying. It is the only mode I care about.*
Old 01-12-2018, 12:41 AM   #15
MVP

thescoop's Arena

OVR: 23
If Franchise mode goes away, I stop buying. It is the only mode I care about.*
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-12-2018, 12:48 AM   #16
MVP

OVR: 10
I'm glad to see this article here. It gives me at least a small glimmer of hope that someone else feels the same as me on this. A couple of years ago, I began playing FIFA 16 with updated squads even though 17 had already come out. In fact, I ended up playing a whole year with several teams I like while everyone else got on the 17 bandwagon. I just didn't see a purpose.* Then I didn't buy The Show 17 because I was still finishing 16. And when I finished 16, I was able to update MVP2005 to run current rosters and teams. Then I started exploring all the other sports games that have amazing communities keeping the rosters updated. And not just updated, but also with download after download of classic seasons. Now it's two years later,* and the ONLY game I play that is a current release is FIFA 18. For NFL, baseball, hockey, and NCAA basketball I play old games. The newest one in all this is NHL Legacy, again, fully updated (I replace Arizona with Vegas).
The bottom line is this, older games played fine unless you have some obsessive need for cutting edge graphics. Give me lesser graphics for better physics any day of the week. But the true test the old games pass that every new game has complicated to the point of overproduced ridiculousness is season/franchise mode. When they even have one that's worth playing. The older games just said, "here's a schedule, here's your team, pick what you want to manage, play all the games, we'll keep all your stats and give you a playoff". Done. What more do you need? Well apparently people need that fantasy element and the card collecting and yadda, yadda.* I simply do not get it. I have no interest in it. And the XP and the points, and... just exhausting. I wanna play the game because I love the sport. I don't want an RPG. I'll stick to my MVP2005 and MLB2K12, Madden 08, FIFA 14 and 16, NCAA10, NHL Legacy and 2K10,* all updated and given classic team historical mods.

« Operation Sports Forums > The News Desk > Operation Sports Content and Other News »