Could Microsoft Buy EA? - Page 3 - Operation Sports Forums
Home

Could Microsoft Buy EA?

This is a discussion on Could Microsoft Buy EA? within the Operation Sports Content forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > The News Desk > Operation Sports Content

Old 02-03-2018, 05:45 PM   #17
Banned

OVR: 0
Re: Could Microsoft Buy EA?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveDQ
It leaves such a bad taste in my mouth whenever I see a game claim any type of exclusivity. All I see when I see "exclusive" is "we could never imagine this to happen on its own, but our pockets are deep enough to make it happen."

As much as I enjoy Xbox, in particular, xbox live, I can't stomach the artificial love for gaming they claim. There has been, at least with the One X, a genuine nod to the gaming community, but even that comes across as an admission of guilt.

This speculation of an EA buyout just follows suite. It reminds me of the kids that play sports but are disinterested. They have all the new equipment and go to all the extra training exercises. But when they step up to the plate, there's questionable interest and little passion.
Business is business. The only video game company I ever imagine doing it for the "right reasons" would be Nintendo.

But right now, Phil Spencer is in a very pro gamer mode. No, buying up exclusivity is not pro gamer, but it is in response the onslaught of game outrage about how many exclusive titles Microsoft releases. That's why this reaction from gamers is pretty sad.

The one huge weakness of gamers is how often we expect billion dollar businesses to act like they don't are about the money, when we all know that is all they care about. Every lament about the "right reasons" rings as hollow as when a contestant on the Bachelor utters it.

If Microsoft plays it "smart" and grabs a few studios, the same people will lament that Microsoft is still not doing enough. But potentially buy EA, and it's "Oh no, that's too much!"

There reality is, the men in suits, whether it be at Microsoft or Sony, are just trying to maximize their resources to generate as much revenue as they can. If MS buys EA, it's because they believe it will do that. And yes, they have to account for butt hurt Sony fans raging that it is so unfair.

In the end, as long as Microsoft keeps supporting the Xbox platform, I'm happy. I don't care where they rank among hardware or software sales. I like the controller, the OS and the ecosystem. If buying EA helps them continue, I'm okay with it.
Old 02-03-2018, 08:16 PM   #18
MVP

Junior Moe's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Could Microsoft Buy EA?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan71
If Microsoft were to buy EA, it would be smart to not to make EA games exclusive to Xbox only. Game sales is what makes the companies money, not system sells. Microsoft would be in a possible situation to have a better Bottom Line overall. If this happens it can be a win,win situation for Microsoft. They may not sale as many systems as Sony, but with the EA library in their ownership, and available on both systems, their game sales can be huge. They could even use this as leverage to kind of get Sony to port over some of their exclusives like "The Show". They way I see it, Microsoft may not win the Systems battle, but with this acquisition of EA, they can win the overall SALES war!
If this ever came to be it would be with an eye toward the next gen. Sony has rightly destroyed Xbox this gen after Microsofts "let's be everything but a videogame console and require you to be always connected online" launch. Microsoft has gotten their crap together over the years but I really believe that misstep at release did them in. People, Xbox fanboys like myself included, were pissed. Last gen the two systems were neck and neck in sales.

Now if Anthem ends up being the next big online IP then Mircosoft could use the sequel as a launch title for the next gen. It could be a smart move that pays higher dividends later. Then having Star Wars and Battlefield and the Other EA titles as Xbox exclusives to shore up things makes it more compelling.

« Operation Sports Forums > The News Desk > Operation Sports Content »